FJ60+62+(Z)80+ v8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

. Funny but with no weight on the rolling chassis it sits very close to level. As you know I got the same springs you do. With the 80 body on it I had no stink bug.
Cheers

The sting bug on my rig is from the way the 60 body sits on top in the 80 frame. The frame is actually leveled, but the body sits higher on the rear. The only way to compensate for this is to cut into the body of the 60...which I did not want to do..

Ian, thought I share this with you....
this is what my rig looks like without the drawer system, tools, kitchen, water, rear bumper, swing outs, spare tire and empty fuel tank (need to pull it out and fix a leak).
Major sting bug with 2.25" higher on the rear... It sits leveled when fully loaded.
View attachment 1144976
View attachment 1144977
Im seriously debating if I should re-do the fuel tank and place it in between the rails where the stock muffler sits (below the rear pass door). My reasoning behind this is that I want the spare tire back in the stock location, and avoid any future damage to the fuel tank.
Im also thinking of redoing the drawer system, so that I can have the two drawers and fridge next to each other full time and out of sight...

Good to see you moving forward with this project..!!

What springs are you running?

I'm running OME J on the front, and slee 4" heavy progressive with 1" spacers on all four corners..

motor.JPG

Oh sh*t I got a new motor for my 62!! :)

Cheers

Can't believe nobody called me out on the engine! I guess it is hard to tell what it is wrapped in plastic. Only half the cylinders I am after though. :) 22RE for my buddies 87 mini-truck. He picked up a sweet vintage Toyo with a bad motor so we are swapping in a new engine.

Check out the timing case on the old motor, bad news.

22re bad.jpeg

Think I am buying a 100 for a DD. Good and done and over with driving work trucks around since I wasted the 80. Need/want a good DD while I get these trucks built. Being realistic, I will be lucky to be finishing up this project by the end of next year. I am neck deep in a 77 Patrol atm and that is getting all my attention and spare $$$.

Cheers

My wife's lx470 is so comfy and nice to know its capable as well, the 4.7 is so smooth......it's a nice rig but not worthy of a beating...so refined compared to a 60 but it has the same stance and same feel, it's wierd but i like it....

Don't tell me its the grey/blue one with 194K ............ I saw that one. Looks NICE!

J

It sucked. Beat up pretty bad. One shot CV boot that has been bad awhile, dent in rear pillar starting to rust, cracks in windshield, torn seats and steering wheel, 4wd low wouldn't engage, tons of stains in carpet, sunroof busted and siliconed up, rear locker didn't work and more! Not even worth $5k to me. Brakes were good though, recent ABS work, new starter and timing belt had been done regularly. Motor ran great but still a basket case.

I just sold one of my Patrols this evening. I could buy a 6.2L now or even a 6L with the trans. But I really need a DD badly and am fairly set on a 100. Bank will loan me some cash on it, good rate, my terms and 70% of the value plus break their 7yr rule. I need to build up some credit so what the hell, why not!? Bumming since I rolled my 80 with nothing to drive but work trucks.

Cheers

It sucked. Beat up pretty bad. One shot CV boot that has been bad awhile, dent in rear pillar starting to rust, cracks in windshield, torn seats and steering wheel, 4wd low wouldn't engage, tons of stains in carpet, sunroof busted and siliconed up, rear locker didn't work and more! Not even worth $5k to me. Brakes were good though, recent ABS work, new starter and timing belt had been done regularly. Motor ran great but still a basket case.

I just sold one of my Patrols this evening. I could buy a 6.2L now or even a 6L with the trans. But I really need a DD badly and am fairly set on a 100. Bank will loan me some cash on it, good rate, my terms and 70% of the value plus break their 7yr rule. I need to build up some credit so what the hell, why not!? Bumming since I rolled my 80 with nothing to drive but work trucks.

Cheers

Must be a reason they only showed one pic... OF THE GOOD SIDE! HA!

Yeah the 80 roll definitely set you back. I wanted to see that rig in action. If I see a 100 down here and I'm not ready to pull the trigger I'll give you a shout.

J

After looking at a lot of 100s all over the west I settled on a 2000 in PDX with just over 120k miles. Lived it's whole life in Monterey California and super clean carfax on it. I am flying into PDX next Wednesday to pick it up and drive it home.

Cheers

So, it is that magic hour on mud, aka 1230am! Since I pulled the trigger on a 100 I am second guessing myself, like I always do with projects. I will admit, I have been a truck addict most of my life but the last 15yrs I have spent a large majority of any spare cash on trucks. I have ended up with a lot of them, some now gone but more than a half dozen of those i still own. I swore 5yrs ago I was going to scale it all back, sell off most my crap and focus on one or two trucks. I really tried! Somehow that didn't happen though.

Just to give you an idea on how messed up I am with my addiction....
-200 100 series, be in my driveway very soon.
-1988 FJ62, body only but I think I must have some $4k in resto parts sitting here in Toyota boxes.
-1991 F(Z)J80 I rolled it and farked it up good. Chassis is stellar though, all built up and ready to host a new body.
-1977 Nissan Patrol Ute I imported from New Zealand in 2003. I am neck deep in the build with literally tens of thousands invested.
-1968 Nissan Patrol, it has a blown motor in need of rebuild but is one of the nicest original Patrols I have ever seen. I must have $3-4k in NLA NOS parts in boxes for the resto.
-x2 1967 Patrols, beat down trucks only meant to be scrapped for parts.
-1983 Nissan Patrol from Germany. Built up like a mofo and I got tens of thousands in this too, more actually.

So as you can see I got 8 friggin trucks! Granted two are parts trucks that will be scrapped once good parts saved and two can/will be combined into one truck. Now the 100 I only plan to build up lightly with no time frame for that, meaning I am in no hurry. It should serve me well though for DD duties, road trips, camping, Baja and the like. I am fairly sure I will be stoked on it. The 60/80 really needs to happen since it is all here except a motor and perhaps a new trans & t-case if I go that route. But therein lies the issue with that build, to get the motor I want along with trans + t-case is a chunk of change. And I am spread rather thin with all this crap! Next is the 83 Patrol, pretty much a trailer queen rock crawler. But to put it back in operation I need a $700-1000 clutch, 16" c/os all around, new bumps all around and a complete new steering system plus some other junk. That equals a lot of cash really. Thing is it is mostly built and I got a super sweet engine + trans/t-case for it ready to go. The 77 Patrol Ute is happening, this last summer I got the engine fully rebuilt and I have pretty much everything else to build the truck. Thing is the cab is super rust and needs a ton of work along with a custom bed, ect ect ect. The 68 Patrol, perfect truck for a resto and will be one super nice truck if restored. Thing is it needs $3k in motor work just to run and that is without starting a resto on it. So as you can see, I think I have to much s***! I am spread to thin but am attached to all this junk in one way or another.

Yup, it is all kind of a problem, please point me to the support group! I need a 12 step program to somehow ween me off my drugs of choice, that or like most heavily addicted people, more cash flowage! :confused:

Cheers

Personally I'm failing to see a problem here other than less than 50% of what you own can run on the road, once you get above that threshold I think you'll be ok and avoid any interventions.

It really all depends on how you look at it. I had 13 trucks about 18 months ago, 5-6 street legal. I buy vehicles with the #1 criteria being that I can sell it for more before I take it off the trailer, it has worked for the better part of 40 years. Being in the business changes the overall focus for me.

If you have the room, can afford it at the time of purchase and a bit beyond, buying a vehicle that is rising in value is a rare opportunity. The gamble is on how long that rise will last. Even muscle cars took a hard hit as recent as 08. I would not sweat it if it fits into your general budget. Build what you want, sell what you don't. I am facing selling off a Truggy build that is taking up room in my shop. I have neither the funds ($15-20K to do it right) nor the desire to finish it out. But for some perverse reason it is still here.

Go figure :)

Personally I'm failing to see a problem here other than less than 50% of what you own can run on the road, once you get above that threshold I think you'll be ok and avoid any interventions.

You are right I am 50%+ to having it all on the road. Basically it is about money and time. One guy to do all this when it is not your full time job makes it take years not to mention funding it all. If you figure each truck takes $10k to finish from where I am now which is not far off, that is $30k just in the three sitting in my shop then there is a resto project sitting outside too. :bang:

It really all depends on how you look at it. I had 13 trucks about 18 months ago, 5-6 street legal. I buy vehicles with the #1 criteria being that I can sell it for more before I take it off the trailer, it has worked for the better part of 40 years. Being in the business changes the overall focus for me.

If you have the room, can afford it at the time of purchase and a bit beyond, buying a vehicle that is rising in value is a rare opportunity. The gamble is on how long that rise will last. Even muscle cars took a hard hit as recent as 08. I would not sweat it if it fits into your general budget. Build what you want, sell what you don't. I am facing selling off a Truggy build that is taking up room in my shop. I have neither the funds ($15-20K to do it right) nor the desire to finish it out. But for some perverse reason it is still here.

Go figure :)

My problem is focusing on one at a time and getting it done. When you have this much junk it is hard to focus on just one and dump all the cash into that one until it is done. I have never been a guy who makes money on this stuff and I didn't buy any of it to make money. I got a friend that does though, he just made $5k on an FJ60 flip last month but that is just not me. I am not in any of this to make money. Right now I do have the space but for how long is totally unknown. I suppose I should just keep trudging along and getting stuff done as time & money allows. I just moved my 80 rolling chassis this afternoon and damn it is nice. 62 is sitting in the shop all pretty too. Sometimes you just need some motivation to keep on going and this 62 on the 80 chassis is one sweet combo. Just watched your video too of your last build and man a v8 is sooooo the only way to go in these old trucks. I haven't had one since July so it helps to get reminded how sweet it is.

What sucks more than anything in this hobby to me is having a bunch of trucks that don't run and nothing to DD or go out an enjoy myself in. That is when I start to feel "burn out" which is why I am picking up the 100. A 2,000 mile drive home in it over the next 5 days should help put a smile back on my face. ;)

Cheers

8 trucks here.

Only 4 run currently. 1 could be made to run in less than 30 minutes if I so chose.

But I also have a track loader that has consumed much money and time lately. You don't know a money pit until you price out dozer undercarriage!

You'll be fine. A nice road trip in a Hundy will be fun!

Dan

Nope think you need to finish this build with the cash for the 100 and 5 days.
100hours of work on this should have a DD sorted.

I see you complaining about too many projects. I don't see your action plan to finish one.

Now sit down and type out your plan to finish this project and only this one.
Add time for each action and the dates.
Let's help you finish them and remove your self inflicted frustration.

I tell you what if you put me up for a week and feed me and we can do a day of wheeling I'll take some vaca and head out that way and help you work on something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom