69 Carburetor Solenoid Question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My carburetor number 60191, manufactured from 3/69 to 9/69 has a solenoid on it with one wire cut.
After the engine is warm it's a little cranky to start.
Seems like it's rich and I have to open the throttle plate gently a little to start.
Where does the missing wire go?
I see a sensor on the head with one prong that is not connected and believe the cut wire goes there, maybe?
What does this solenoid do and where can I get information on how it works?
60191 Carb_05.jpg
60191 Carb_06.jpg

Last edited:
Not a direct answer to your question, but...

Remove the solenoid and forget about it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of RFG. We're all dealing with it. Try a tank of premium and see if it helps.

Best

Mark

LOL.
Since it's not connected it may as well be removed.
Really, what did the TOY engineers want this little solenoid to do anyway?
I just gots to know.

Way back in 1970 or so this carby was recalled and replaced with later style mechanicaly/progressively actuated secondary. Not sure what the problem was. Brandy new carbs are available from vendor on this site.

Way back in 1970 or so this carby was recalled and replaced with later style mechanicaly/progressively actuated secondary. Not sure what the problem was. Brandy new carbs are available from vendor on this site.
Thanks! I'll check out what the replacement should be.

Was it recalled OR just changed. I was told Toyota was going to change parts and the center stud from this carb was not compatible with the newer air cleaner design. Also, I have a 1969 with this carb and NEVER had any issues.

Thanks for your response! I want to keep my original parts. Is your solenoid operational?
Would you send a picture of how it's wired?

There's one on Ebay right now...and the wire is cut just like yours!

Toyota Land Cruiser Fj40 Carburetor

Wire should be attached to + terminal of the coil. Sometimes they are attached to the ballast resister; this is not correct.

There's one on Ebay right now...and the wire is cut just like yours!

Toyota Land Cruiser Fj40 Carburetor

Wire should be attached to + terminal of the coil. Sometimes they are attached to the ballast resister; this is not correct.
Hi Mark:
Thanks for the information.
I'd rather send my original Carb to you for a rebuild than replace it.
What does that solenoid do anyway? Do I need it, seems like your earlier comment is to forget about it?
Thanks for your inputs!

1. i will have to look at one of the cores to refresh my memory.
2. I am NOT suggesting you send the carb ANYWHERE or even rebuild it yourself if that is your only problem. Give it at least a couple of tanks of gas and a weather shift before you pull the trigger on messing with it. There is a LOT of premature 'carb problem' diagnosis going on. Its almost as bad as fibromyalgia.:bang:

Best

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom