Death Wobble, cannot track it down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are a lot of things that can contribute to DW, but they fall into two categories: Slop or play in anything that locates the wheel and alignment. The other thing you need, is something to initiate the oscillation, like hitting a bump.

The easy thing to test would be to remove the spring spacers and see if the problem goes away or at least gets better. Dropping it down an inch would give you about 1.7 degres more positive caster and put you in the normal range. Zero caster is the magic number to have DW, because there is no self-centering force acting on the wheels. Even a little bump will start them oscillating. You might want to experiment with the toe in too; even outside the specified range and see if it gets better or worse.

To find the slop, pull and pry on all the suspension and steering components and look for anything that moves that shouldn't. This is often more productive than replacing parts and hoping for the best. You need a BIG pry bar, like 5 ft. Alignments shops have a tool that looks like a giant 5 ft channel lock pliers to compress things liked the control arms and look for slop. Pull and pry on everything. Do it with the wheels on and off the ground.

If the sector shaft and worm gear follower teeth are worn, you should be able to tighten this with the adjuster nut. In fact, you can tighten it so much that the steering is too tigh and won't return to center on its own. Maybe you are turning the screw the wrong way?

Another thing to consider is that a high lift may have enough play even without worn/cracked components to allow the wheel oscillation. I don't have any personal experience with lifts in that range, but maybe stiffer bushings might help.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I won't get to working on mine until this weekend.

I will try and give some input as to what mine looks like or if I find anything.

Think shopping cart wobble. Same principal. Ive eliminated it on my Dodge 2500 with upgrading the steering stabilizer and removed spring spacers. Caster is the key.

with upgrading the steering stabilizer

A properly setup front end should not need a steering stabilizer.

I drove my 80 around without one for a bit, honestly couldn't tell the difference.

There are a lot of things that can contribute to DW, but they fall into two categories: Slop or play in anything that locates the wheel and alignment. The other thing you need, is something to initiate the oscillation, like hitting a bump.

The easy thing to test would be to remove the spring spacers and see if the problem goes away or at least gets better. Dropping it down an inch would give you about 1.7 degres more positive caster and put you in the normal range. Zero caster is the magic number to have DW, because there is no self-centering force acting on the wheels. Even a little bump will start them oscillating. You might want to experiment with the toe in too; even outside the specified range and see if it gets better or worse.

To find the slop, pull and pry on all the suspension and steering components and look for anything that moves that shouldn't. This is often more productive than replacing parts and hoping for the best. You need a BIG pry bar, like 5 ft. Alignments shops have a tool that looks like a giant 5 ft channel lock pliers to compress things liked the control arms and look for slop. Pull and pry on everything. Do it with the wheels on and off the ground.

If the sector shaft and worm gear follower teeth are worn, you should be able to tighten this with the adjuster nut. In fact, you can tighten it so much that the steering is too tigh and won't return to center on its own. Maybe you are turning the screw the wrong way?

Another thing to consider is that a high lift may have enough play even without worn/cracked components to allow the wheel oscillation. I don't have any personal experience with lifts in that range, but maybe stiffer bushings might help.

Had the same thing before I put the spring spacers in

I actually sent him a PM after I saw my numbers.

There shouldn't be a need for plates, or bushings though. The Slee arms are designed to put the caster back into operating range with the Slee 6" lift kit.

Hopefully he will post up and hopefully all I need is plates or bushings to remedy this, although I don't know why I would,.

Why wouldn't you - caster changes 1.7 deg per inch of lift (per above) and you're 1" over what the arms are designed for (if I'm reading right) and you're 1.4 deg out on caster - seems to all add up or am I missing something.

Ok, so i've had Death Wobble ever since I bought my rig. I've read every post on here and contributed to many but still haven't found the answer to mine.

Mine happens between 40-50 mph and can get really violent as to where it feels like the axle is trying to jump out of the truck.
This is what i've done so far.

Rebuilt the front end when I first got it.
Replaced the front panhard with an a brand new adjustable one since a machine shop managed to break my old adjustable one.
Replaced front panhard bushings
Replaced tie rod and relay rod
Replaced TRE with circle 555's from Kurt
Replaced Radius Arm Bushings with 6 new OEM ones
Balanced my tires every way possible
Had cracks in the frame by the steering box welded and plated
Alignment done numerous times.

I've had now three sets of tires on here with two different wheels.
It was worse with my 16.5 wheels and I think that it was because they were re-centered so they were always a little out of balance.

With the new stock alloys and the xmls they are a lot smoother but I can still feel the steering wheel starting to rock a little although so far (5 days) it hasn't got really violent on me like it used to. This last weekend I also swapped on my buddies 33's to go with lighter tires and wheels and they acted just like the XMLS

The steering feels loose anyway so i'm thinking maybe the steering box needs to be rebuilt..... also is there anything in the actual steering shaft (from the steering wheel to the steering box) that might cause this? I did try tightening it up per land tanks instructions but it didn't seem to make a huge difference.

It's driving me crazy that i've replaced soo much and still have it.... although not as bad as it used to be.

I guess i'm going to get the 105 sceptor shaft and rebuild the box... maybe have it plumbed for hydro assist also.

I just want it to ride nice as my wife seems to want to drive it now but i'm afraid to let her till it is fixed.

I just had it aligned yesterday and will post up the numbers as soon as I get the paper out of my truck.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

I had an 85 fj60 with a balance issue. Found it was worn trans bearings. It was a 4 speed manual.

Griffsfj80

Ok, so i've had Death Wobble ever since I bought my rig. I've read every post on here and contributed to many but still haven't found the answer to mine.

Mine happens between 40-50 mph and can get really violent as to where it feels like the axle is trying to jump out of the truck.
This is what i've done so far.

Rebuilt the front end when I first got it.
Replaced the front panhard with an a brand new adjustable one since a machine shop managed to break my old adjustable one.
Replaced front panhard bushings
Replaced tie rod and relay rod
Replaced TRE with circle 555's from Kurt
Replaced Radius Arm Bushings with 6 new OEM ones
Balanced my tires every way possible
Had cracks in the frame by the steering box welded and plated
Alignment done numerous times.

I've had now three sets of tires on here with two different wheels.
It was worse with my 16.5 wheels and I think that it was because they were re-centered so they were always a little out of balance.

With the new stock alloys and the xmls they are a lot smoother but I can still feel the steering wheel starting to rock a little although so far (5 days) it hasn't got really violent on me like it used to. This last weekend I also swapped on my buddies 33's to go with lighter tires and wheels and they acted just like the XMLS

The steering feels loose anyway so i'm thinking maybe the steering box needs to be rebuilt..... also is there anything in the actual steering shaft (from the steering wheel to the steering box) that might cause this? I did try tightening it up per land tanks instructions but it didn't seem to make a huge difference.

It's driving me crazy that i've replaced soo much and still have it.... although not as bad as it used to be.

I guess i'm going to get the 105 sceptor shaft and rebuild the box... maybe have it plumbed for hydro assist also.

I just want it to ride nice as my wife seems to want to drive it now but i'm afraid to let her till it is fixed.

I just had it aligned yesterday and will post up the numbers as soon as I get the paper out of my truck.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
My former FJ60 had a balance issue. Found it was the manual trans bearings. Had it rebuilt and the shaking went away.

Griffsfj80

My former FJ60 had a shaking issue. Found it was the manual trans bearings. Had it rebuilt and the shaking went away.

No it comes and goes... not as bad as it was with everything replaced.

Really the only things it can be now is the steering box or something in the linkage to the wheel.

it's only at a certain MPH and sometimes not there at all so i'll live with it till I save to fix the steering box.

Resurrecting this from the dead, I've had DW since May. Cannot track it down either, I have a SLEE 6 in setup on 35's as well and I finally brought it to a shop. They replaced steering box (rebuilt one), wheel bearings, tie rod, steering stabalizer (which helped it not occur as often). But I also can start to feel it sway slowly then into a more violent shake. Feels like the axle is going to shoot out from under me. Did you ever get it figured out? Im at a loss.

My issue was a bent trailing arm on the passenger side.

Bad triniuon bearings will cause wobble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom