Back Packing stoves. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like Lambcrusher, old fashion is how I have traveled for more years than I care to count.

I use two of Peak1's stoves when I travel in the 60, and to keep the theme going, I use a couple Coleman mini liquid fuel lanterns also. They packs small and work great.

P1080323.JPG
P1090050.JPG

call me old fashioned, here is the one I have used for close to 25 years, now...course, it hasn't been on any walks in more than 10 of those....it does do regular duty as the coffee cooker tho.,...
1354840414-2007_1203breakfast0008-jpg.117039

Yep, I've got both a Peak 1 and the Coleman only version (the Peak is in the US and the Coleman is in oz). Bought them 20+ years ago and they work perfectly every time. I just have a dislike of any of the canister units due to unavailability of cartridges when out in the bush - no shops :)

They run dual fuel so petrol is always available due to petrol minibikes or quads etc that go out with us. I have the spare generator and pump kits but never needed and they are sealed and still new.

cheers,
george.

I picked up a Peak a while back, nice stove but a bit heavy for packing.
@george_tlc I share your dislike of canister stoves for car camping, for the same reason, however for backpacking I think they hit a nice balance between weight and performance.

Like Lambcrusher, old fashion is how I have traveled for more years than I care to count.

I use two of Peak1's stoves when I travel in the 60, and to keep the theme going, I use a couple Coleman mini liquid fuel lanterns also. They packs small and work great.

Looks like what I have, except I keep the stoves in a small ammo can. I've been a fan of the peak and now exponent stoves for over
30 yrs now. Gulp! Am I that old now?? Simple, organized. I like that. J

I have an msr dragonfly and couldn't be happier with it. If I was to get a new stove I'd stick with the dragonfly. Can't beat liquid fuel.

I have an msr dragonfly and couldn't be happier with it. If I was to get a new stove I'd stick with the dragonfly. Can't beat liquid fuel.

I like the Jetboil, but the proprietary stuff is a non-starter for me. I am not a fan of canisters. Where I hike burning wood is either prohibited, or there isn't.

Presently on the fence between the favored, whisperlite international and the dragonfly or windburner. The liquid multi-fuel is really nice. As for weight, losing it in your pack is nice, but losing it around the belt line pays way more dividends......

Have you thought about the msr whisperlite universal? Liquid fuel or canister compatible. I also have an msr reactor for when I just need hot water and a Micro Rocket as backup.

Salue

Canister stove get a jet boil. Love mine as use it more than i thought i ever would.

For liquid fuel I have a MSR Dragonfly as a back up but use a Brunton Nova otherwise. They don't make them anymore and although the Optimus Nova looks the same its not. The Brunton simmers better than the dragonfly, all the parts including pump are either aluminum, stainless steel, or titanium, there's no plastic. It is a multi fuel and self cleans as it cooks. It's a slick set up and have owned mine for a good 12 years and within that time I've used it on countless mountaineering trips, Canadian winter trips that went for a week at a time with -40 weather and even used it to cook every meal when I lived out of my FJ40 for two months during a solo road trip through BC. If something happened to mine I'd try and find an old Nova made by Brunton.

I have the MSR Pocket rocket and the MSR Whisper lite universal.

The pocket rocket is great just because it is light and fast. I keep it in my truck along with a Ti MSR kettle. The fuel canister fits in the kettle and the stove fits in the kettle bag, for a handy little package.

The universal will burn pretty much anything from white gas, kerosene, and a canister. It makes a great all around stove.

Between me and my three teenage sons (all gear hounds) we have tried lots of stoves.

Like many here, I also have a Peak 1 that I bought in ~1985. It is still going strong, but we don't use it for backpacking - just car camping. Occasionally need to lube the leather pump seal, but other than that, no maintenance needed. (We have only ever burned white gas in it.)

While we have tried and own many stoves including the MSR Pocket Rocket, Jet Boil, and MSR Whisper Lite International, where we have landed is a canister stove for trips of 1-2 nights, but for longer trips the MSR XGK wins hands down. We do at least one 7-10 day backpacking trip each year in the Sierra Nevada (usually camping at at least 10,000' elevation) and always bring the XGK. Surprisingly, it is only a couple of ounces heavier than the Whisper Lite, but much easier to light, especially in windy/rainy conditions. The pad in the bottom that holds the fuel makes this so - far superior to the cup/wick system on the lighter weight stoves.

great thread!

ive always wanted a jet boil having seen it in action many times when we do backcountry/portage camping. but i cant find any major downsides to my msr pocketrocket! gets it done for me.

curious, anyone running the even lighter alcohol stoves? like this one?

Evernew Appalachian Set

plus a bottle of alcohol and you've got the lightest stove on your back (unless you skip the fuel n just use twigs)

I have not used alcohol stoves but know they are the stove of choice for Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) through hikers. A lot of through hikers go ultralight and are at 20-25 lbs WITH food and water, so trim every oz they can, hence the alcohol stove. Too extreme for my liking. I go light, but want some comforts and the stove is one of them

BUMP

:D

My MSR Whisperlite's pump broke, again, so I'm looking for a replacement stove. mrs surfpig really really really wants the jetboil system, I'm still biased toward a liquid fuel system, like the MSR.

My backup stove is the venerable Optimus 8R.
Awesome piece of equipment. This was from the beach on Saturday. Boils water within 2 min and super easy to set up and put away.
View attachment 1129056
View attachment 1129057

I rebuilt the pump, and with all new O-rings I'm back in business. Sorry mrs surfpig, no Jetboil for you!

:lol:

(I may still get her one for Xmas, you know, marriage and all...)

I rebuilt the pump, and with all new O-rings I'm back in business. Sorry mrs surfpig, no Jetboil for you!

I got her that jet boil. We use it a lot.

Son recently asked me, any of your old backpacking stuff I can have?

I'm like,
image.jpeg

He's all, WTF is that that thing???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom