The Vegtable Garden Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I sliced and froze the green peppers and ran the others through the slicer on the food processor along with garlic and carrots and pickled fifteen pints last night.

Harvested a couple of hills of potatoes yesterday. Hash browns for dinner tonight were awesome. Nothing like spuds that haven't been in cold storage for 18 months.

Believe it or not I was just about sick of fresh tomatoes, then the hierlooms got ripe, totally different flavor and texture. It's almost like eating meat.

Carrots for dinner tomorrow, we already had a meal from fresh beets.

I might get one more meal of eggplant, there are a couple of them just about ready.

On the to-do list; I need to pick up some berry flats to store any tomatoes that don't ripen before the first hard frost. Last time we had a good harvest we ate home grown tomatoes right up to Christmas. Just pack the green tomatoes in berry flats in a single layer and store them in a cool place. You need to go through the flats and pull the ripe ones out every few days, if you let them go to long they rot.

I'm about to be in chili overload. Both plants are about 5' tall and loaded with baby peppers and flowers. Funny, for some reason, I can't get the sweet ones to grow like that recently.

You guys are harvesting, around here, it's planting season. I just got a bag of onion sets, I need to either but seed garlic or replant what's left from last spring. Shortly it'll be time to plant greens and snow peas.

I ganoushed a bunch of eggplant over the weekend and picked a bunch of wax peppers, I may pickle them later this week. Tomatoes are about done. LOTS of peppers to go, which is a good thing...

Time to think about planting peas, garlic, onions, and broccoli and stuff...

I have a ton of garlic already sprouting from sets I threw back in the ground when I harvested earlier this summer.

I ganoushed a bunch of eggplant over the weekend and picked a bunch of wax peppers, I may pickle them later this week. Tomatoes are about done. LOTS of peppers to go, which is a good thing...

Time to think about planting peas, garlic, onions, and broccoli and stuff...

I've had little luck with broccoli, mine have never formed heads, just sparce clusters of buds. Know any tricks?

I have a ton of garlic already sprouting from sets I threw back in the ground when I harvested earlier this summer.

It doesn't need much encouragement.

I've had little luck with broccoli, mine have never formed heads, just sparce clusters of buds. Know any tricks?
I'm kind of hit and miss with it too. If you stress it at all it tends to bolt like that, and store-bought plants are likely stressed from the get-go. I have pretty good luck with cauliflower for some reason.

Broccoli is a water hog, never let it dry out. Everything on-line says full sun, my experience in the desert is morning sun afternoon shade even in cool weather. When I harvest the heads I leave the main plant and harvest the small clusters that form later. They are great raw in salads or cooked like broccoli rob.

Broccoli is a water hog, never let it dry out. Everything on-line says full sun, my experience in the desert is morning sun afternoon shade even in cool weather. When I harvest the heads I leave the main plant and harvest the small clusters that form later. They are great raw in salads or cooked like broccoli rob.

I do keep everything well watered. I'm guessing to much sun is the issue. I don't have a good shady spot. Might just plant it all over and see if it likes a certain spot.

I do keep everything well watered. I'm guessing to much sun is the issue. I don't have a good shady spot. Might just plant it all over and see if it likes a certain spot.
I've used that tactic with flowers, we mover perennials around like furniture until we find their happy spot or they land in the trash.

We have one corner of our garden that gets afternoon sun and it's tough to grow anything there. I'm thinking of rigging a shade cloth for it.

I've used that tactic with flowers, we mover perennials around like furniture until we find their happy spot or they land in the trash.

We have one corner of our garden that gets afternoon sun and it's tough to grow anything there. I'm thinking of rigging a shade cloth for it.

I do that with garlic and onions. Both need good sun, any place where I get under developed plants has some shade.

Building a simple pergola is pretty easy. They're pretty handy for hanging shade cloth, bird netting and plastic.

Last of the maters for a while. Sweet peppers are holding on...
image.jpg

Big Bro Rob, wondering if your cole crop is getting too much Nitrogen. Sometimes the extra N can blow up the growth of the foliage.

Big Bro Rob, wondering if your cole crop is getting too much Nitrogen. Sometimes the extra N can blow up the growth of the foliage.

Possibly but doubtful. Due to our salty water and the need to keep plants hydrated in the warm months, available nitrogen tends to be poor.

Interested in what type of garlic you are able to grow. I've tried almost every type I could get from Potatoe Garden--Hardnecks/softnecks-don't seem to be able to get any of it to grow here in So. Fla. Do you grow any of the Porcelains/rocamboles? I'd buy the stuff from you if you had enough--
Gary

Interested in what type of garlic you are able to grow. I've tried almost every type I could get from Potatoe Garden--Hardnecks/softnecks-don't seem to be able to get any of it to grow here in So. Fla. Do you grow any of the Porcelains/rocamboles? I'd buy the stuff from you if you had enough--
Gary
I grow Italian Purple Hard neck. I doubt that will help, the climate difference between NV and FL couldn't be more bipolar.

Gary

I grow the type they sell at the grocery store. It's always been foolproof. If you're buying it by mail order, could it be that the cloves are dead, dried out or rotted?

I see this a lot with onion sets. Some are always dried out and don't grow. There seems to be a time issue involved. They don't have much of a shelf life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom