1992 FJ80 3FE Wont Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well at least you didn't buy a distributor.

PCM is shot or you are missing a power or ground to it. Take a look at it and see if there is any corrosion on it or signs that it may have gotten wet

@UncleBanjo, To save yourself another "headache" a year or two later, make sure you use OEM style cap with the vacuum ports and they are hooked up properly as I previously mentioned.
Let's just say, I've been down this road.

Will do! Thanks man! How do you hook up the vacuum ports correctly though?

Also, My distributor will be in today and was gonna install it. Gonna run the procedure by you guys to make sure I am doing it correctly.

1.) Remove #1 cylinder spark plug.
2.) Put vehicle in neutral and block tires, crank motor in clockwise rotation to top dead center and feel for compression. If no compression, rotate 360* and wait for compression.
3.) Once on top dead center on compression stroke, drop in distributor. Point the rotor directly to the #1 plug wire terminal on distributor cap.
4.) Plug rest of the wires up according to the cap and corresponding cylinders.
5.) Make sure everything is good and fire it up! (Be happy because it working and immediately go to nearest off road obstacle! haha JK)

Is there any other timing I need to do? The FSM says 12* BTDC? How do I achieve that? Is that necessary in this install? Any things I might/will run into? Heard stuff about the oil pickup, do I need to worry about that? lol

I'll check my son's 92 tomorrow evening on the vacuum port layout and report back. As far as installing the dizzy, I'm not a lot of help here. I have always marked everything going out and install the same way back.

The back vacuum port goes to a 1 way valve just front of the passenger side shock mount. Then it goes back to the firewall (3 o'clock tube port).
The front port goes to the top of the air cleaner. Here's a few pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg

It's called an ECU, engine control unit.
Talk to Jason at Cruiseryard @arcteryx

Its called PCM, Powertrain Contol Module! Or is it an ECM, engine control module?
Or CPU, central processing unit?

Lot of names and abbreviations for the same thing. I Respect your knowledge Jon but your splitting hairs.

Splitting hairs maybe, but ECU is the nomenclature Toyota uses and if we don't agree to common terms we won't be able to communicate efficiently.

Its called PCM, Powertrain Contol Module! Or is it an ECM, engine control module?

Lot of names and abbreviations for the same thing. I Respect your knowledge Jon but your splitting hairs.

Typically we would say Ecm or PCM when I worked there but like I said as long as you know what the other is talking about it doesn't really matter.

According to the Toyota factory service manual and the Toyota factory electronic wiring diagrams it is referred to as an ECU. The acronym "PCM" does not appear in any document from Toyota. It gets confusing when you call things by the wrong name or acronym. I knew what you were referring to, but when others go looking for the PCM they're not going to find one.
I may be splitting a hair or 2, but if it makes it easier for the next guy I'm OK with that.

Cruiser Yard has one on their website, I believe. Contact Jason. @arcteryx

Well, guess what, I put in the cheap little relay for the EFI, and it worked. I dont understand as i used a continuity test to test the relay. I suppose its the other kind of relay where i needed to put voltage to it?

anyway, 10 bucks on ebay was a much better deal. thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Awesome! Glad you got it working! Yea, from what I've read, looking for the check engine light is usually the first thing on the list.

I got mine up and running as well! Replaced distributor, and it fired up. Took me awhile to get the oil pump thing aligned, but got it all figured out. Figured out you can get a screw driver and align the shaft with the oil pump. FSM is handy! Haha Thanks again guys! Learned a lot, saved some money, and now feel more confident when wrenching on my fj80. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom