Steering play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I just recently got my new to me 1995 FJ80 on the road. I went ahead and changed the suspension to OME 2.5 inch lift, complete tune up, exhaust replaced, rebuilt front axle, new wheels and tires (33s on 17 inch wheels) and on and on.
After doing all the work, I went ahead and obtained a much needed alignment. I was hopefully that it would tighten up the slop I was feeling in the steering. To some extent, it definitely did improve significantly. Unfortunately there is still what I consider significant steering play.

I noticed that the steering column via the engine bay had a bunch of movement. It appears that as the column passes through the firewall, there is significant movement and as if some sort of bearing/bracket is missing.

Can anyone tell me if there should be such a bracket brace at the firewall? any pics?
the diagrams at part websites aren't clear in distinguishing.

also, any other ideas what may be contributing to the play in steering?
thank you

no bearing or bracket just this rubber seal, it does help when replaced but you still will have play, search and youll find ton of info on here, some have modified this area. Search

Also search for "adjusting screw on steering gear" a 1/4 or 1/2 makes a big difference if feel.

IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG

For fear of looking stupid, but what is a rag joint?

thank you for all the replies. I did perform a search on here but didn't really find any helpful info. Might have plugged in the wrong terms. I had heard about tightening the Steering gear but thought I was onto something that maybe missing at the firewall. I don't think mine has that seal. I may begin with ordering one up and look at changing the "rag joint." Thank you

just plugged your recommended search for steering gear adjustment, woah the topic is discussed to infinitum. I will try this first!
Big thank you, I hope this works.

The steering box also has adjustment, on the top, which can remove some play.

Just fitted a 06 on 105 box to my 80 here in RHD, as it has a fatter sector shaft less likely to twist the splines, when I had to replace the box.

What do you mean steering column play? Just a bit loose when centered?

If so check TRE, and wheel bearing preload before you touch the steering box adjustment.

If you have loose steering column meaning the steering wheel is loose up and down then there is am really easy adjustment to get rid of that.

Alot of people have up and down play in their tilt column due to it being out of adjustment. Here's how to fix it:

Tilt steering column vertical slop

The fix is near the end. Pretty simple just clean it up and rotate an adjustment nut.

Yes, please identify what you mean about "play" a little better. I think if I could understand your problem better, I might be able to help.

Hey, thanks for answering my question about "rag joint." Now I know.

It would probably help a lot if rhere were a clear video showing how to judge looseness in these parts. Basically you should have proportional movement in all steering parts when moving the wheel back and forth slowly around 1/8 turn minus the allowable movement in the steering gear when measured at the wheel. Works best with one person moving steering back and forth 1/8 turn slowly with front wheels on ground and another person looking- starting at the column going down toward gear and out to each wheel. FIX or repair loose parts THEN adjust gear correctly. Then jack up and check wheel bearngs and knuckles then all suspension bushings. Be sure not to describe vehicle wandering all over lane as play.

Last edited:
Alot of people have up and down play in their tilt column due to it being out of adjustment. Here's how to fix it:

Tilt steering column vertical slop

The fix is near the end. Pretty simple just clean it up and rotate an adjustment nut.

Yes, please identify what you mean about "play" a little better. I think if I could understand your problem better, I might be able to help.

thank you all for the input. So just to clarify, I did write "steering play" which is steering right to left as if steering my vehicle. The steering column movement in the engine bay was an incidental finding that I wasn't sure if it was contributing to the "steering play." I did not have any up and down or in and out movement of my steering wheel. Just excess left to right.

Anyway, since the last time I posted, I remedied the "steering play" by adjusting the steering box adjustment screw as described by many here. What a difference! The maximum amount of tolerated steering wheel movement was 1.5 inches, I had aprox. 3-4 inches of excess movement. I adjusted first aprox 1/8 of a turn and then added another 1/8 to final of 1/4 turn.

what any easy fix.
thank you again to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom