Camp Axe Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulaski

The wildland fire fighters use a pulaski. It combines an axe and mattok on one head. High quality multi purpose tool you can find on - line.

Annother vote for Pulaski...

When I worked for BC Forrest service, my truck had 3-4 in the tool box and I fell in love with these well balanced long handled axes. The local supplier orders them by the Thousands, and I've bought several for $15 retail. The last one cost me about $25 because I splurged for the fiberglass handled version... The wood ones were now $19.

After getting the Fiskars 7850 X7 14-Inch Hatchet for $17 via Amazon I was so impressed that I went to Zoro and bought 7857 X15 23" for $28 and have the 7854 X25 28" splitting axe on camelcamelcamel waiting for the price to drop to sub $40 again.

Buddy walks across the firepit from me and starts splitting wood. I move to the side. He chides me. Head flies off Fiskars fiberglass handle.

Buddy walks across the firepit from me and starts splitting wood. I move to the side. He chides me. Head flies off Fiskars fiberglass handle.
Shoulda bought a Gransfors----

Has anyone on here come across sater banko axes.Their made in sweden starting before the 1900s. as far as ive been able to find out the one I have inherited is post 1921 manufactured. local history on the family I got it from puts them immigrating to canda early 1930s possibly. just wondering if its was purchased here in canada or may have come over on the boat with them. its been my go to camping axe for a decade plus but only recently have I discovered this thread and got me looking into the old axes I have.

Has anyone on here come across sater banko axes.Their made in sweden starting before the 1900s. as far as ive been able to find out the one I have inherited is post 1921 manufactured. local history on the family I got it from puts them immigrating to canda early 1930s possibly. just wondering if its was purchased here in canada or may have come over on the boat with them. its been my go to camping axe for a decade plus but only recently have I discovered this thread and got me looking into the old axes I have.

I've heard good things about the sater banko axes - on par with other Swedish steel of the day which remains a high standard.
I'm pretty sure those were also sold in North America so I don't know enough to be able to tell you where your family bought it.

Speaking of old steel:
My favorite axe is one I rescued recently.
The head is an old Collins Legitimus that I picked up off ebay for ~$20 shipped.
The axe handle I bought from my local hardware store for ~$12.

photo.php

The handle is Ash. I sanded it down to remove the finish then soaked it and the head in a home made black walnut stain, sanding down the hydrated wood grain between staining sessions.

photo.php

Lastly I let it dry, sanded one more time then applied tung oil to protect the wood.

I like the patina and more importantly; I'm now completely sold on the concept that the right old steel is far superior to any mass produced new steel.
When I started reading this thread, I was pretty incredulous that a several hundred dollar axe could really be that much better than my Ace hardware special.
photo.php

Now I'm not gonna be buying a $500 GBA but I'm in the habit now of looking for maker's marks on any axe I come across at garage sales and junk stores.

addendum: Sorry guys. I've been trying to add pics for this post and either I've gone daft or I've lost picture posting privileges and after 10 minutes of mumbling curses under my breath and giving my computer the finger I'm gonna walk away so you're just going to have to imagine how awesome my second hand axe is. :beer:

no pics but I can add f*%$ing smilies huh?

Last edited:
Decided today I needed some new sheaths for a knife and axe I found at my old man's house. He didn't know what he had. An old Hulks Burks axe and an old Frost knife, both Swedish made with forged lamansted steel. Score! Also made one for the Gerber splitting axe that is dedefinitely not forged steel. Elk season is two weeks out and all will get used.

WP_20151003_001.jpg
WP_20151003_002.jpg
WP_20151003_003.jpg
WP_20151003_004.jpg

I have a Fiskars axe, seems well made. What do people use to sharpen them? Besides a grinding wheel, hard to have that at the campsite...

That works............

I have a knife sharping set that works well for the Gerber axe. It seems, with the soft metal, I'm always putting a new edge on it. I start off with the coarse and proceed to the finest grit stone. I get a general idea of the angle I need from the knife holder tool, usually around 20*, and go to town.

Owning a Gerber you will get good at grinding down all the metal gashes using it produces.

Here is my go too camp axe with its new handle on still need to sand and stain the handle
Sater Banko hand forged Swedish steel
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444366717.621269.jpg

I wanted to thank all who responded. I ended up getting the Fiskers Pro Splitting Axe. Although I don't think I would split cords with this thing, it is great for splitting, actually resplitting wood at the camp site. The unbreakable handle really sold it, kids will have a hard time breaking it. Thanks again and happy camping.

I do just that and split cords (minimum 2 a yr) with mine so I know it will work fine for your camping.
I do not hit on mine with anything. I only swing it. I have broken lots of mauls and this thing has been great was $45 shipped on Amazon.
Do you know how to slide your hand down the handle and accelerate the axe head (secret to dinging the bell at the fair if the ladies are around)?

Taking it one step further: This is a great collapsible saw. I leave it in my camping tote. Folds up super compact.
Sven Folding Saw - 21" - REI.com

What makes an axe worth $120??

Your coming on the Land Cruiser site (they are $80K new) and asking why buy a $120 axe?
Do you frequent Harbor Freight and Drive a Kia SUV?

This a land cruiser site??

So I got an ad for Bailiey's in my e-mail box today and they were advertising a Woodland Pro Fallers Axe. It's USA made and looks interesting. Any comments about the company? At $39 it is pretty cheap.
Woodlandpro Fallers Axe (5 Lbs.) With 28" Hickory Handle Wp 1028 | Falling & Logging Axes | Axes & Mauls | www.baileysonline.com
WoodlandPRO+Fallers+Axe+(5+lbs.)+with+28++Hickory+Handle+WP+1028_S.jpg

Course, then I found the Husky Multipurpose forrest axe for $59...

Husqvarna Multi-Purpose Forest Axe (1.9 Lbs) With 26" Handle 576926201 | Small Forestry Axes | Axes & Mauls | www.baileysonline.com
Husqvarna+Multi-Purpose+Forest+Axe+(1.9+Lbs)+with+26++Handle+576926201_S.jpg

I just rescued this one from the river. Is it worth restoring?

Interesting. Any maker's marks on it? If it was mine, I'd cut the handle off, scrub it down, and put it in a vinegar bath. After you clean it up you can put an edge on it with a file and do some chopping to see if it keeps an edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom