The Long Slow Build - 1980 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hang in there.
It's worth it when it becomes your daily driver.
If you were closer I would lend you a hand.
My build got to a point were I could not see the forest for the trees. Then all of a sudden a lot became finished all at once and I was ready for the painter.
Go back through your photos and see were you were 12 months ago.
For me the photos were good inspiration .
I am down to five jobs left till the build is finished however once finished the tinkering begins .
In saying this will the forty ever be finished. I don't think so.
I await your next lot of photos.

Cheers Peter

...via IH8MUD app

I am in a similar boat as you except I am doing mine in a 2 car carport with rattle cans.

I keep telling myself any progress is good progress!

Even the smallest step forward that is visible to the eye is forward momentum. Keep it going!

My buddy at the body shop made arrangements for some help to come in. It's amazing what can be accomplished in just 2 solid days.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

A few more. Now just need to block & reprime, then seam seal everything. And maybe, just maybe ready for some Freeborn Red!!

004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Fantastic thread mate keep the pic's and info coming, your well past the going backwards stage it'll all come together really quick once you've got a top coat of paint on that tub :)

Yeah it's kind of funny. I go from frustrated to excited, then frustrated then excited again. Feels like it's so close now with all that body work done. Pretty happy at the moment.

More good news - 2 more solid days and I'm told we are basically ready for bed liner underneath & inside. Just need to seam seal. Outside is in final prime & just needs to be blocked down one more time.

004.JPG
001.JPG
003.JPG

Thanks Peter.

Plans for this week are to stand it up on it's ass end and scuff the bottom & inside with a scotch-brite pad, the seam seal. I'm told that it will take hours just to seam seal everything! Then finally, finally ready for some color. Freeborn Red bed liner underneath and inside. This is about to get serious!

Not really anything to report in the tub. I've been repairing bottoms of ambulance doors and rebuilding the metal drip rail for the hardtop. And making a bracket for OEM fog light switch.

Baby steps for sure, but it keeps me sane. At least as far as anyone can tell.

Still hoping for that big step - Freeborn Red paint!!!

Few pics of the ambulance doors. One welded, need to make patch for the other one. check out the Evapo-rust results in this thread.

Rust inside doors - treatment?

IMG_3216.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG

You are one hard-working guy on this rig. Impressive amounts of body work and you'll have a great truck when done! You are inspiring me to re-do some tired body work on my '78.

Wow. Tremendous build. I'll putting up my pics soon. It looks like I need to bolt the tub back on the frame to fit up my new quarter panels correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom