95.5-04 Taco/4Run 3.4 V6/5spd/t-case into FJ62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been brainstorming again...has anyone ever taken a 5VZ-FE, 5 speed manual, and transfer case out of a 1995.5-2004 Tacoma or 1996-2002 4Runner and swapped the whole works together into an FJ60 or 62? I've been wondering how well this combo would work with the lower axle ratios of the 62 compared to the 60. Mostly just thinking of a real-world swap that doesn't involve re-engineering the whole drivetrain to compensate for excessive amounts of torque or weight from swapping in a V8 or diesel. Seems like a V6 with a stickshift should be able to do a better job motivating than the 3FE and a 4-speed slushbox, and probably get at least 5 mpg better on the highway too. Any thoughts?

Mostly just thinking of a real-world swap that doesn't involve re-engineering the whole drivetrain to compensate for excessive amounts of torque or weight from swapping in a V8 or diesel.

Couple of thought floating through my head....

The FJ62's curb weight is 1000lbs heavier than a Tacoma

A Chevy 5.3L engine weighs less than a 2F

Most 3.4L these days are gonna have 200k+ miles on 'em so a rebuild might be in short order once you start asking it to work harder.

And the the drive train really doesn't require any reengineering and handles with the extra HP and Torque from other engines just fine...but maybe I misunderstood ya? What exactly did you feel needed to be reengineered?

Couple of thought floating through my head....

The FJ62's curb weight is 1000lbs heavier than a Tacoma

A Chevy 5.3L engine weighs less than a 2F

Most 3.4L these days are gonna have 200k+ miles on 'em so a rebuild might be in short order once you start asking it to work harder.

And the the drive train really doesn't require any reengineering and handles with the extra HP and Torque from other engines just fine...but maybe I misunderstood ya? What exactly did you feel needed to be reengineered?

What he said.

The drivetrain is more than capable of handling V8 power. So going through the effort to swap in a V6, regardless of how good of an engine it is, doesn't make much sense.

unless the goal is functional economy..., but that's a long way around the block for that...

You said the "lower axle ratios of the 62" but you will need a centered rear. Unless you intend to run a goofy driveshaft to the offset cruiser axle.

On the other hand, I think this swap would be ALOT of work for minimal gain. I think it would push a 62 about as well as the 3fe or 2f does. Fuel economy might be decent but still doesn't justify it. I think this is a great motor/trans/trasnfer case, just not for something as big and heavy as the 60. The 2UZ-FE would be about the same amount of work and you could run a 80 or 100 series offset case. That would push a 6X-series around very well.

I see now that you have both a 62 and a tacoma....you won't like that v6 in a 60 like you do in the tacoma, I think you'll be disappointed in the end.

The 5VZ needs revs to make power, totally different animal than an F engine. I'd bet a 3.4/5 speed with 4.10's in a 60/62 would outrun the stock engine in a drag race unloaded (running both to redline), and would have a higher top speed, but it wouldn't feel right running the motor that hard to have it keep up. Run the engines to 2,500 rpm only and I'd bet the outcome would be different.

Swap in a 2F short block for a 2FE and swap the slush box for a H55f

Yeah, I bet an h55f (or even the 4 spd) behind the 3fe would be sweet. It would be TONS easier too.

I had an 04 Taco with a super charger, small pulley, 7th injector, custom ECU, Doug Thorley headers and nice Jardine exhaust. It moved a 6,000lbs Taco real good. Yes I was super heavy but I could still do 65mph up one of the steepest passes in N. America with some power to spare.

But as has been said, it made it's power in the higher rpm range. After about 40k running around like this the trans also started to feel slushy. Oh and making that power with the mods, best mpg I ever got was 16.5. On average it got 12-14mpg. It also cost a lot to do those mods.

Much better to just go with a v8 in my opinion, I have had 2 v8 Cruisers since the Taco so I have some experience with this.

Cheers

Yeah, I bet an h55f (or even the 4 spd) behind the 3fe would be sweet. It would be TONS easier too.

I can agree with that for sure. I much prefer rowing through the gears myself. On top of this I also was given a 4-speed manual, bellhousing, clutch, and pressure plate from my friend's old FJ60 so I have half of the parts to do that already. I am mostly just waiting to blow up the automatic before I get serious with any swaps, slowly collecting parts in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom