Builds My 78' Barn find FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a fun build! I thought you might be interested in some of the history of your green tailgate and bed. I recognized it from a '76 HJ45 I drove back from Honduras about a decade ago. That truck was a beast and was in pretty decent shape not too long ago. I guess someone decided to part it out at some point... Here's a pic of it after making the journey across Central America and Mexico.

78HJ45#5.jpg

78HJ45#9.jpg

Thanks for the history less and the pictures. The truck is actually still in use. The current owner removed the box to install a flat bed in its place. He uses it on his farm. I got the bed with the rest of the parts that came with my truck. The tailgate and headache rack are in use on my truck.

I haven't tried to remove the top. I'm not sure what the answer to that question would be. Someone with more experience in 45's would need to field that one. Sorry I can't be more help.

Yah i posted another thread trying to figure it out and nadda. Figured maybe you thought about it haha

I saw your post. I just didn't have any useful information. Maybe Georg (orange45) would know.

I haven't made any building progress. My rear axle was finished today with the spring perch relocation. The front will be done next week. The seat is at the upholstery shop. The rear bumper work has stalled (apparently iron shops are busy in the summer). Bed floor has been delayed 3 weeks (thanks Pacol). My body man is swamped and hasn't started on the pieces I dropped off 3 weeks ago. I guess it's a good thing Roma needed help with his 12HT install, or I might have gotten board and spent more money. OH wait! I did spend more money, never mind! I think I'm on the UPS guys Christmas card list this year. I guess that's just the way a large build project goes sometimes. But I am still driving it!

:steer:

I took Sampson out for a little trail ride yesterday. The old man is still ready and able! He's a hand full to handle on the trail with manual steering and an Aussie locker in the front (I don't know what I was thinking). But a great day out with our club.

Holly Tree 1 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 8, 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 9, 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 17, 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 18, 11 July 15.jpg

A few more pics. The ARB was baptised on this trip. It took 3 1/2 hours to clean that mud off.

Holly Tree 2 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 5 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 7, 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 10, 11 July 15.jpg Holly Tree 14, 11 July 15.jpg

I have been contemplating my next major improvement for the 45. I made the mistake of driving Roma's 12HT in his 60 before he left for Canada in it. So I have been looking at one that Troopy has freshly rebuilt. Now it appears I'm going to be the proud owner of a 12HT. I will be a lot less anxious when it arrives from the Netherlands. Shipping is turning into a bit of a problem, but I think we have it worked out (I don't think Mud ship will help this time). I also have one of Kevin's (AwlTeq) new tailgates on the way. It should be here next week some time. My body man is making some progress. I hope to have pictures of that this week to share. I have also been working on rebuilding a LHD heater for the truck. Using my new sandblast cabinet has made that job as well as a few others a lot easier. I now have both of my 70 axles back from the fab shop where the spring perches were relocated. Still no progress on my rear bumper or my bed floor from Pacol. For those of you wondering, there will be a good 2H and a used tail gate going up for sale in the future.

The update from my body was not as good as I had hoped. He has only worked on the 2 smallest pieces of the 5 he currently has to work on. My bed floor from PACOL is supposed to arrive in south Florida the end of this week. So I may have it before Halloween!? It also seems I have been remiss in updating pictures of my recent new parts purchases. So I have posted my latest pictures. The 12HT should ship this week as well. My shipping broker has one more question to answer for me before we close that deal. In the crate with the motor is an H55 from an FJ40 (correct top plate) with split case. So my 2H with that 5 speed and split case will be for sale soon. For anyone interested you can drive the 2H before you buy it, if you get here before I start removing it in preparation for the 12HT installation.

Tailgate.jpg Ashtry.jpg Wiper motor.jpg

So as I have time to sit and wait on parts and people, I've been contemplating my project. The thought has occurred to me that my truck is turning into quite the international build with the following parts sourced from the following countries;

FJ45 Aus
H55 w/Tcase Japan
Cable locked 70 axles Belgium
12HT Netherlands
New tailgate Canada
ARB bumper Aus
Warn 8274 USA
NOS ashtry Germany
NOS wiper motor Germany
Snorkel Hong Kong
New bed floor Columbia SA
NOS doors USA
Late model 45 seat AUS

Because of the multi-colored paint job it currently sports my truck has been called a patch work quilt. But it is almost a NATO flag display.

More new parts in the mail yesterday! Thanks Ward!!!

Terrain Tamer.jpg

Can't believe i didn't see your thread any sooner... Anyway, can't be to long before the engine will be in your hands!

Sorry Mark. I thought I had told you about my thread before. Indeed the waiting begins to get a little more intense now. I have already informed my wife that I won't be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year. In anticipation of the motor arriving in time to spend the holiday installing the 12HT. Yes, I have lots to be thankful for this year!!

The long journey to it's new home has begun for my 12HT. Thanks again Mark for everything!! You have been great to work with on this deal. If you ever get to the states again try to make it down my way. I would enjoy meeting you in person.

12HT shipping 1.jpg 12HT shipping 2.jpg 12HT shipping 3.jpg 12HT shipping 4.jpg 12HT shipping 5.jpg

If i'm ever in your neck of the woods, i'll definately drop by!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom