GPS locators or something (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a Delorme Inreach. I use it hiking and 4 wheeling. Works outside of cell phone range. Provides texting, gps, mapping, and emergency response should you need it. Pretty amazing all in all.

APRS is designed for scenarios you're describing John. APRS is a way for a HAM radio to relay GPS coordinates tied to your call sign so people can track your position.

This site is an overlay of that data onto Google Maps. Check it out, pretty neat:

Google Maps APRS

APRS is designed for scenarios you're describing John. APRS is a way for a HAM radio to relay GPS coordinates tied to your call sign so people can track your position.

This site is an overlay of that data onto Google Maps. Check it out, pretty neat:

Google Maps APRS

Link does not work for me, but I use this link to check out Norway.
www.aprs.no

Google Maps APRS

Does the map show active hams in real time who are running APRS's equipped radios and have that feature turned on or whatever.."active"? That what it looks like but wanted to confirm.

Yes, of course you need to have aprs running, your transmitter must be active and on the APRS frequency, you must be within range of a digipeater etc. So, it works ONLY if you have radio reception by an APRS capable receiver that can forward the packet onto the internet.

You can also send an APRS packet via the internet/cell system (google aprsdroid).

aprs.fi will display active APRS information including tracking (you can track a specific call sign). It works pretty good, especially in the US where there's quite an active APRS network and lots of repeaters/digipeaters up on high mountains etc.

Of course if you really are 'back of beyond', then a satellite based system is your only hope.

cheers,
george.

Does the map show active hams in real time who are running APRS's equipped radios and have that feature turned on or whatever.."active"? That what it looks like but wanted to confirm.

Yup! Just like George said.

If you are without your truck out in the absolute boondocks, then something like SPOT will probably be best.

just wondering what it was....I just generally use ham offroad and like "simple is better approach". The technology is amazing, but for me...something simple on 2m that works and is easy to use is the route I seek. I know the options for comms and navigation keep growing...digital and analog, but I'm guessing digital may be the future on radio comms, but I just don't keep up with the technology.

Google Maps APRS

this. hands down. you can even text someone from radios like the ft-400 - it's very cool. I texted my wife from no-where's-ville NM, no cell service.

this. hands down. you can even text someone from radios like the ft-400 - it's very cool. I texted my wife from no-where's-ville NM, no cell service.

Now that is cool, I did not know texting was possible! What's that feature called? I need to look it up on my FTM-350

Now that is cool, I did not know texting was possible! What's that feature called? I need to look it up on my FTM-350

It's been a little while, and now that I think about it, it may be an email?? any-hoo...but I recall you need to put the carrier string and phone number on it. On my ft-400, you can text you're pals with ft-400's with the messaging feature (data goes further than voice). sidenote - we were in NM, one part of the group was scouting campsites, we were not in Ham (voice) nor cell range...my air-pump seized and I was dead on the side of the road. My message got through the group ahead, but no voice. now, that was cool.

back to the main program...if you are an att subscriber you put the carry info and the recipients phone number in the TO field. like, you know when you get those weird text messages like 333-5551212@att.net?

it's kinda like that.

So APRS only works on HAM radios with either a GPS chip or GPS transmitter linked to it? I tried to read up on it but got lost really fast.

I liked the SPOT Connect features but it looks like that product might be on its way out (based on the way the website looks). The Gen3 loses the ability to connect to your phone but has easier tracking on/off. At least that's what my easily confused brain understands. I'd like to know if the Gen3 still works if it's contained in a pack or pocket (i.e. out of direct line of sight of the sky).

The wife is trying out an Iridium sat phone rental this weekend. Obviously good for comm, not for tracking, but it'll be good to see what happens with it. She's going out with strangers on foot into a known large dead spot of cell coverage. Yeah...I know.

Thanks again to everybody who has offered up thoughts and advice here.

So APRS only works on HAM radios with either a GPS chip or GPS transmitter linked to it? I tried to read up on it but got lost really fast.

Exactly.

It's not a GPS chip or GPS transmitter you need to link to your Ham radio, it is either:

a) a Ham radio with built in APRS hardware - there are some units that have this all built in - they cost more of course...

or

b) an APRS unit connected to your Ham radio. The APRS unit contains a GPS receiver and the hardware/software to take the GPS fix and turn it into an APRS packet and then send it to Ham radio and key the transmitter on.

For the case of b) above google for APRS TNC to find what the units look like. There's also a neat little unit that uses your cell phone (via bluetooth) to provide the GPS data and APRS packet encoding and the little unit then connects to the Ham radio to transmit the packet (see Mobilinkd | Highly mobile packet radio).

Either way you need to be in range of a digipeater/igate etc that can RECEIVE your aprs packet and forward it on to the internet. Your Ham radio also needs to be on the APRS frequency (obviously).

For your wife's use, the sat phone is likely the best option.

cheers,
george.

I liked the SPOT Connect features but it looks like that product might be on its way out (based on the way the website looks). The Gen3 loses the ability to connect to your phone but has easier tracking on/off. At least that's what my easily confused brain understands. I'd like to know if the Gen3 still works if it's contained in a pack or pocket (i.e. out of direct line of sight of the sky).

The wife is trying out an Iridium sat phone rental this weekend. Obviously good for comm, not for tracking, but it'll be good to see what happens with it. She's going out with strangers on foot into a known large dead spot of cell coverage. Yeah...I know.

Thanks again to everybody who has offered up thoughts and advice here.

The SPOT website has looked that for years.

I have the original Satellite GPS Messenger. It's very simple to use and has worked very well. The Gen3 looks like an updated version of it. They all need a clear view of the sky. I've read reports that they sometimes have trouble in deep canyons or under extreme canopy cover. My only complaint is that it's kind of spendy, but it's been worth it to me.

It's not a GPS chip or GPS transmitter you need to link to your Ham radio, it is either:

a) a Ham radio with built in APRS hardware - there are some units that have this all built in - they cost more of course...

or

b) an APRS unit connected to your Ham radio. The APRS unit contains a GPS receiver and the hardware/software to take the GPS fix and turn it into an APRS packet and then send it to Ham radio and key the transmitter on.

For the case of b) above google for APRS TNC to find what the units look like. There's also a neat little unit that uses your cell phone (via bluetooth) to provide the GPS data and APRS packet encoding and the little unit then connects to the Ham radio to transmit the packet (see Mobilinkd | Highly mobile packet radio).

Either way you need to be in range of a digipeater/igate etc that can RECEIVE your aprs packet and forward it on to the internet. Your Ham radio also needs to be on the APRS frequency (obviously).

For your wife's use, the sat phone is likely the best option.

cheers,
george.

yep... great info!

check out byonics.com he makes a tiny-tracker that's all in one GPS, transmitter and antenna. You do need your Technician license to use. but it's GREAT.

I carry a McMurdo FastFind Personal Locator Beacon registered with NOAA. Covers the entire globe (uses COSPAS-SARSAT network that is used for naval locating). The big benefit, no subscription needed. It is ONLY for transmitting your GPS coordinates in emergencies not for updating family with status / location.

The address I use to check APRS station by callsign, zip-code or city is Google Maps APRS . My house and my daily driver should show up. Also I have used http://OpenAPRS.org and paid a donation to the web host. I use APRISIS on Windows XP to show my house WB8LBZ-3.

Larry in El Paso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom