Skinniest mud tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how is the ride with 255/85/16's?

I really wonder this as well. It being a stronger tire is good and all, but I really enjoy the ride I get from my 33x10.5x15's. If the 255/85/16 is more harsh then I don't want it. Seems like you would also have to be at a minimum weight to use those tires. My FJ60 with front bumper and sliders probably isn't that heavy. I wanna say it weighed in at ~4800 with no front bumper, but can't recall. Tire pressure plays a big part for ride though. We have all read those threads lol.

exact same thought.

part of me is looking for a reason to get 16" wheels(OEM 16x6 or Summit 16x7) and while I don;t need tires they are 10 years old and can move tires/wheels to the beater 45LPB to replace the(older yet) 33x9.5's. I still run the 33x9.5's on 3 Cruisers and have a few new ones, but as they are no longer made I need an option and working on more than one Cruiser is almost a requirement for me

But the other part says......dang those 33x10.5'x15 have worked great(on any 40-60) I have 2 sets already, don;t need wheel's. I don't want a harsh ride, I don't carry a ton of stuff. I know people say they may not make them forever...so that's a worry.

from some reading, a lot of guys with Tacoma's seem to like the 255 and the Taco is not(I don't think) any heavier than a 60

I really wonder this as well. It being a stronger tire is good and all, but I really enjoy the ride I get from my 33x10.5x15's. If the 255/85/16 is more harsh then I don't want it. Seems like you would also have to be at a minimum weight to use those tires. My FJ60 with front bumper and sliders probably isn't that heavy. I wanna say it weighed in at ~4800 with no front bumper, but can't recall. Tire pressure plays a big part for ride though. We have all read those threads lol.

@Landpimp I'm guessing this is within the last 2-3 generations or so? I bet you could put a Load Range E tire on there and not be able to tell. IFS baby.

But I bet you are correct. They probably weigh as much or less than our 60's do.

I read a lot of charts about max load at a certain pressure. Load range E tires carry more weight at higher pressures. At 80psi you can put the weight of a 60 on like two tires IIRC. For my KM2's the weight of my vehicle is supported by half of the max load pressure on the sidewalls. That's right. I run a street pressure of 25psi. Lexus smooth... Almost. So maybe if we just run load range E tires at like 20 pounds we would be alright.

Here is a side view of my 60 with 33X10.5X15 & oem wheels
os60.jpg
os.jpg
os2.jpg

@theron do those 34" KO2's measure pretty true to size? I know most BFG's run a lot smaller than advertised.

They have a nice chart that lists tire size and real world measurements. The 34x10.5 measure out as 33.5x10.6 on 17x8.5 rims:

All-Terrain T/A KO2 | BFGoodrich Tires

For comparison the closest Duratrac is 285/70 r17 and it comes in at 33x11.5...so the BFG is a special tire these days if you want something "narrow", D+ load range, but still ~33"

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac/sizes-specs

Last edited:
If you want that 'old school look' tall and skinny, why not roll with the factory specified 7.50R16s? I don't know what's available in the U.S but I use Dunlop SP Road Grippers with tubes. I got a bit of flak when I fitted them but I reckon that's more about fashion. They're not mud tyres per se but a good general purpose and tough old boot. They've got a healthy lug and can handle normal amounts of mud but if you're going in a swamp get a hovercraft. The new 70s that are going out to the mines and stuff in the outback have them fitted at factory as standard so you can pick them up relatively cheap after someone has removed them for something more bling.
They've always got me through often with extreme load and as I run factory split-rims anything wider was a pain to knock off and on the rim after a stake. The old guys call em 'cheese cutters' and the cynical 'Road Slippers' Haha.

I would like to go with the 33x10.5-15 Dick Cepek extreme or mud country tires. But it may be that the BFG M/T KO2 is the best tire for the money at this time. Everything is personal preference, I felt the difference when I have gone with a wider tire; more rolling resistance, harder turning ( No ps on the old 40) and of course the wider the more strain on the front end parts. I just wish the 9.50 width was still widely or even somewhat available.

Last edited:
I prefer the 33x10.5's to the 33x9.5, that extra 1" just feels better on the road.

235/85's are a neat tire but I just need a bit more width than that.

I would like to go with the 33x10.5-15 Dick Cepek extreme or mud country tires. But it may be that the BFG M/T KO2 is the best tire for the money at this time. Everything is personal preference, I felt the difference when I have gone with a wider tire; more rolling resistance, harder turning ( No ps on the old 40) and of course the wider the more strain on the front end parts. I just wish the 9.50 width was still widely or even somewhat available.

The skinniest mud tire has to be the 34x9 Super Swamper TSL right? 8" tread width, thats what I plan on getting for my trail set after I wear out these bias ply buckshots. I mean, are we talking about mud tires or are we talking about mud tires?

exact same thought.

part of me is looking for a reason to get 16" wheels(OEM 16x6 or Summit 16x7) and while I don;t need tires they are 10 years old and can move tires/wheels to the beater 45LPB to replace the(older yet) 33x9.5's. I still run the 33x9.5's on 3 Cruisers and have a few new ones, but as they are no longer made I need an option and working on more than one Cruiser is almost a requirement for me

But the other part says......dang those 33x10.5'x15 have worked great(on any 40-60) I have 2 sets already, don;t need wheel's. I don't want a harsh ride, I don't carry a ton of stuff. I know people say they may not make them forever...so that's a worry.

from some reading, a lot of guys with Tacoma's seem to like the 255 and the Taco is not(I don't think) any heavier than a 60

I love the 255s on the 62. Good ride, great tire, doesn't seem to lose capability and I am not easy on them. BFG makes an MT in the size but I have been happy with Cooper STs. Using 4runner limited alloys with spacers (they don't seem to cause any additional wear or otherwise concerns either after I was a skeptic).

I wish BFG made them in an AT flavor.

_MG_3356.jpg

I keep trying to sell my great condition 33x9.5 MTs but nobody wants them.

IMG_2630.jpg

For reference

IMG_2581.jpg

Maybe everyone knows this already but when I purchased my BFG 33/10.5R15 KO's from Costco earlier in the year, I asked the sales guy if BFG will releasing this same size in the new KO2 tread. He thought BFG was going to discontinue this size due to lack of sales. I just checked BFG's website and they don't list this size either. Looks like they do offer 34/10.5R15's as mentioned earlier. I really like the look of 33/10.5's under a lifted 60 and they have great road manners, especially in dirt, snow and ice. I'd go with something different if my rig was build to play in the rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom