How much height of lift needed to remove Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the tip retrofive about remembering plate orientation, that's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to get from my question. Thanks!
Sidenote on the rear lower shock mount. 1) they can be stubborn and the bolt can break, leaving you with another project. 2) Even with the bolt removed you may need a pipe or crowbar of sort to leverage them off the mount. When I removed mine the bolt came out relatively easy, but took some force to get them off the post they seat on.

Heres a tip that no one really mentions. Whats the trucks in the air and everyones clear from the back of the truck. Drop the ebrake handle because the cables will be holding the axle up a good couple inches.
Good to know handsomebob, I will remember that. Thanks!

In Response to Aloha Jen. Its not difficult but be sure to not rush it. Have fun. Slee's write up covers pretty much everything but there were a couple things i learned when doing it myself.

1. The top shock nut on the drivers side, If you don't have a whole set of wobble sockets they are available in individual sizes but what wasn't mentioned was that the OME shock nuts are not the same size as the toyota oem ones. So you will need both sizes of wobbles. Not usually a big deal but I did mine at night and could not just go buy one right a way so I got creative to get it tight.

2. The capacity of the jack stands is important but so is the height. For my lift which was the J one I used stands that were almost 24" tall. This gives enough room to get the springs swapped out without the need for spring compressors on any of them front or rear. Any shorter and I would have had a really hard time.

And other than that Slee's write up covers everything else. Hope all of our advice helps

Not sure how it is on Oahu for rust but my family lives outside of Hilo and rust is a big problem for vehicles with the parts and the electrical, but they get ALOT more rain too.
Thanks for the advice and instruction hinterland. I will certainly try and have fun with it, and it's not the DD so I can take my time.
Way more rain on the Hilo side....I live in the leeward side of Oahu, so a lot drier. But rust is still a problem the closer you are to the ocean. Thanks again!

Thanks for the tip retrofive about remembering plate orientation, that's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to get from my question. Thanks!

ALWAYS take pictures (or video if necessary) when removing things - much easier to then 're-remember' how things go back together again later :)

For larger projects I also put the various fasteners into ziplock bags and label the bags... and take pictures...

cheers,
george.

Dropping the springs out was NOT super easy. Took 2 guys.
Your really stretching on the brake line to get enough clearance to get the springs out.
The bolt for the bumper stop at top is 12mm. You need an 6" extension to reach it up in the bumper.
I put in Air Lift Bags, whole project took about 2 hrs but I cleaned and sprayed with Fluid Film while I was under there.
Put Anti-Seize on the bottom shock bolts and run a tap on them if they are not already cleaned up.
I ran dual air lines to fuel filler so if one bag looses pressure I still have the other.
Drilled out the hole in bottom bumper stop to 3/4" per Air Lift Instructions.

I usually unbolt the brake line bracket from the frame to allow extra droop.

Be careful!

They will fall out at full droop. Last time I did it was on a beach in Baja, we used a gantry and my buddies winch to lift up the back of my truck. Took all of about 10mins while we drank beers.

spring change out.jpg

BTW, coil spring retainers is a real good idea and mod for anybody wanting to do some serious off-roading.

Cheers

I usually unbolt the brake line bracket from the frame to allow extra droop.
Smart
Be careful!

They will fall out at full droop. Last time I did it was on a beach in Baja, we used a gantry and my buddies winch to lift up the back of my truck. Took all of about 10mins while we drank beers.

BTW, coil spring retainers is a real good idea and mod for anybody wanting to do some serious off-roading.

Cheers

Wife said son's swing set is off limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom