Head comes off today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After working on and off over the last 2 weeks I am pulling the head today. Taking it over to the shop to have it checked out on friday.

I have ordered a full set of Silicone Hoses/ heater and radiator and The PHH fix someone linked for me. Going to give everything an extensive bath. going to buy brushes and carb cleaner and go nuts. any other suggestions while I am waiting on the head to come back?

I want to do all silicone vacuum lines. What size lines do I need? 3mm? any other sizes? how many feet would you purchase? I am considering buying a small spool to use/ have some on hand for other projects.

motor1.jpg
motor 2.jpg

check ps pump, check wiring harness for melted spots, replace fuel filter... bunch of stuff you can do while you are this far in. whats the budget?

Call @beno and get Mr T's small silicone hoses. Cheap and last a long time.

@slow95z the budget is as needed. Here is what I already have/ ordered. My goal is to create a reliable vehicle that could drive cross country if needed. I am replacing as much as needed but also trying to be budget minded.

All parts are OEM toyota or MUD suggested replacements
Plugs
Water Pump
Thermostat
Fan Clutch
Dist. cap
Dist. rotor
Silicone Heater/ coolant hoses
Head bolts
Full Gasket kit
PHH fix kit
Coolant

PS pump seems to function fine and don't see any leaks. I have checked electrical and don't see any burns or melts. going to clean it up check everything really good while putting it back together.

I need a suggested oil... I am going to run a conventional for 1 week after getting it running then change the oil and go to a Synthetic. Suggestions? I usually use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Mobil 1 is a good choice. Take the opportunity to wrap your wire harness at EGR because this can Strand you at the most inconvenient time. Remedy now before it is a problem.

Should I do anything with the injectors? Thought about soaking them in seafoam or something that wouldn't eat them. Using carb cleaner on all other parts.

I had a somewhat meh experience with injector cleaning service. they were all within spec but #2 and #3 came back noisier than before cleaning which annoyed me. I'd save the money and buy a new Koyo radiator something more valuable as PM.

do it right while you are in there, a little extra $$ here is well spent, a few I would suggest:

- pull the exhaust manifold and get ceramic coated
- valve cover powder coated
- send the injectors out to be cleaned
- landtank blue fan clutch
- new radiator if the existing one is old
- make sure you clean up the front of the engine and redo all of the leaks from up front. Pulley seal, disty oring, oil pump seal, pan seal, speedo seal on transfer case.

Mobil 1 is a good choice. Take the opportunity to wrap your wire harness at EGR because this can Strand you at the most inconvenient time. Remedy now before it is a problem.

ah yes, egr harness, summit racing has some cool velcro sleeving...

do it right while you are in there, a little extra $$ here is well spent, a few I would suggest:

- pull the exhaust manifold and get ceramic coated
- valve cover powder coated
- send the injectors out to be cleaned
- landtank blue fan clutch
- new radiator if the existing one is old
- make sure you clean up the front of the engine and redo all of the leaks from up front. Pulley seal, disty oring, oil pump seal, pan seal, speedo seal on transfer case.

Where do you suggest to send the injectors out to? was going to just clean and soak in seafoam...
Got a Toyota OEM Fan clutch
Radiator is new, have the receipt for it from previous owner. he replaced it thinking that it would help the cooling. he didn't know the head gasket was going.

Working through all the seals, gaskets and O-rings in the front.

I would replace the heater control valve and all the heater hoses on the firewall, which was 8 on my 1996 (including those around the heater control valve). I'm including the three which are visible in your pics and are toward the passenger side of the firewall.
As for powder coating your valve cover and ceramic coating your exhaust manifold, I think those are cosmetic issues which are best left to your budget and preference. As for the other suggestions above, they seem good to me.
I have seen several Mud members say they had their injectors cleaned and there was no noticeable difference in performance, and the spec sheet showed they were around 95% efficient before cleaning. Having said that, if I were in your position (injectors exposed), I'd pull them and send them to Witch Hunter for cleaning. I haven't done mine yet, but if I pull the head I will.
Good luck, looks good so far.

Replace the vacuum lines while you're in there and the #1 heater hose (throttle body to block). The #1 heater hose is difficult to get to if you spring a leak on the block side (ask me how I know), but easy to replace when you have it apart. I replaced all hose clamps with new OEM spring clamps while I was in there.

Plus 1 for new OEM spring clamps. There is no better option, including the Breeze clamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom