Questions before lift install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im on the verge of installing my suspension lift plus the MT rear conversion kit, hopefully this weekend, I was hoping to find an exact list of the tools needed and possibly a guide to installing. I've installed a few suspension kits on trucks and cars before so Im somewhat familiar with the process, I just don't want to run into any unexpected issues or runs to the parts store for more tools. I have a pretty good selection of tools but may invest in some ratcheting wrenches as Ive heard they are pretty helpful with this install.

Also, I plan on running 285/70/17 BFG AT KO2's on Tundra split spoke wheels (15mm offset I believe), how much rubbing will I have? Im assuming I will atleast need to trim some fender linings? The suspension kit is a 3" lift for the front and rear.

Sorry I have searched but there just isnt a ton of definitive answers on the GX platform.

Cheers!

Teaser;
IMG_4876_zpsuipbxlej.jpeg

Last edited:
I cannot emphasize enough how valuable ratcheting wrenches are - for both front (14mm) and rear (17mm or 19mm depending on your shock). In my suspension install thread (GX470: Radflo 2.5" with FJC coils), I also found 4mm and 6mm allen wrenches indispensible. Aside from those items, everything else is standard and easily accessible; removing the sensors from the front shocks requires a minute or 2 to figure out but they are easy. You'll also need something to separate either ball joint or tie rod from spindle, but you implied you may have that covered.

I did my suspension alone on a scalding hot day and it wasn't bad at all (I took my time to make sure everything was 100%). If you've done others, you'll have no issues with the GX.

Sorry, can't help on the wheel/tire combo.........

Preciate the advice! Got a friend helping with the install so hopefully it goes smooth!

Found out the wheels and tires should fit with minor trimming possibly needed.

Cheers!

285's on the oem tundra wheels will hit your upper control arms. You'll probably need a 1.25" spacer. I ran those on my GX a while back and seem to remember it being WAY close. THe 1.25" spacer will give it a great stance in the fenders too.

Ah damn, I've read both sides of the story saying that they will and they wont fit so Im going to just install the lift and see what kind of clearance Im working with. If need be, Im going to just rock the lift with the 265 stockers and get some spacers sent out. Thanks again!

Yep. Spacers needed with OEM (lexus or Tundra) wheels due to offset and backspacing.

Best tool for installing lift is beer goggles. :beer:;) But really though ratchet wrenches are a life saver. And make sure you have the correct axle nut socket. Also if you have not torn down your front suspension in a while you will probably need the seals that go between the axle and spindle

Ok now Im getting a little confused as far as the axle nut socket... Is that only needed if I disconnect the low ball joint? As opposed to disconnecting the upper ball joint? Also I plan on using a bottle jack to put pressure on the uca, will that suffice?

Im going off of this installation guide for the front suspension;

OME Lift

And yes beer will be lending a hand!

Ok now Im getting a little confused as far as the axle nut socket... Is that only needed if I disconnect the low ball joint? As opposed to disconnecting the upper ball joint? Also I plan on using a bottle jack to put pressure on the uca, will that suffice?

Im going off of this installation guide for the front suspension;

OME Lift

And yes beer will be lending a hand!
I don't think you should have to mess with the axle nut to install the lift. Should be the same procedure as the link you posted above. When i installed the TJM lift in my wifes ride, i didnt mess with any of the tie rods or ball joints.

Correct. No need to do any of that unless you are replacing the arms themselves.

No worries! Think Im all set on tools and research, also I drove over to 4 Wheel Parts and grabbed some wheel spacers. I'll keep yall posted!

Last edited:
You in ATL? I can't help much as my world is consumed with life right now, but normally we could scrape up a crew to help.

Worth a shot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom