filling roof rack holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on filling the holes in my roof from the factory roof rack on my 80. My plan is to sand the holes, treat with POR15, fill with steel epoxy such as Devcon, sand smooth and monsterline roof. Does this sound right? I only have a few quick questions. I have ever used POR15. Is it a good product to prevent rust? I dont have nay real rust now. Can i just scuff up the hole area, apply POR15 and then fill with putty? Should i be priming or will the POR15 do that for me? Also should i be wiping down with any solvents between steps or after the POR15?

PS i dont want to weld the holes because the 94 headlined is basically impossible to remove from what i hear.

Just me, but I would go to the local auto parts store, buy some plastic plugs that fit the hole, dab a little silicone on them and stick them on. I did this on some holes in the bed of my '40 where someone had mounted a rear seat. I don't even notice them any more. I did paint right over them.

Ace hardware stores have a pretty good selection of body and furniture plugs.

When I switched my drums over to suspension mounts I used the small body plugs to fill the holes from the old previous fixed mounts.

Worked like a charm.

Well you guys were basically right. I have stainless screws with FPIG in all but 4 holes. Those four holes the nuts broke out. They had the plastic plugs and were working fine for 2 years. I pulled them out and filled with metal epoxy, sanded and painted. What a pain in the ass. I am leaving all the stainless screws in place and going to paint/monstaline over them.

If you are going to the trouble of sanding and filling, take the time and just weld the holes up. Then use a light coat of body filler and primer before using the Monstaliner. That way you will not have to worry about the filler cracking out later down the road. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom