HG Teasing Me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a coolant leak someplace, just haven't been able to track it down yet although I fear it's my HG.

I've been slowly losing coolant in my overflow for a while now; I filled it up again to the fill line the other day and got on my way. When I got home after driving all day I popped the hood to have a once over. I opened the overflow and it was almost full! Bubbling slightly too. I haven't driven it since. I let it cool and finally got around to checking it again tonight. Now it's back down to just below the normal fill line!

Other than water from time to time dripping pretty good from underneath the passenger side (where the heater lines are, but it appears to be water), I don't see any coolant leaking on the ground. But it's going somewhere!

I'm confused as to why all of a sudden the overflow would fill up with coolant like that?!

*I replaced an aftermarket rad cap shortly after I bought it with a Toyota stealership '97 OEM; seems I've been having issues ever since which is strange*

Bump....could use some advice before I drive to my 'Yota mechanic in the morning :moon:

While it could be possible to purchase a new faulty cap I find it doubtful. Plus you've been having problems from day 1. Could always try your old cap if you didnt toss it.

Water under pass side. Is this ac condensate? Only when ac is running? No other reason other than water in rockers or leak in rear heater line you'd be Losing fluid here. I'd look closely at those hard lines and hoses

Overflow sounds perfectly normal. Engine heats up. Coolant expands. Forced from rad to overflow where you witness full. Engine cools and coolant pulled back into system. Level drops. Sounds like its working

Drove 250 miles today without an issue; overflow coolant is down to normal and I haven't seen a loss in days.

She just keeps trucking along with 390K.

I'm still watching things like a ninja though :poof:

Air in your coolant system and condensation from your AC.

blackstone oil test?

I'm having a similar issue except mine doesn't seem to draw from the overflow. It stays at a constant level, but my radiator runs low every couple of days. I'm going to try Bars Leak this morning to see if that changes anything.

blackstone oil test?

This.

About $35 + an oil change + ~1week wait and you'll know definitively whether you have coolant in your oil.

Alternately I've heard parts stores sell a kit to determine whether there are exhaust gasses in your coolant, but I don't have any experience with them.

I just used the kit to determine whether there are exhaust gases in my coolant. Got is from NAPA for about $33. Autozone and the like have one as well. I believe Autozone will use there own kit to check your truck for free. Either way it's easy use and quick.
ps. no exhaust in mine

I had a small coolant leak before in the rear heater line. Was just enough to notice the over flow bottle level going down over a week or more. What was happening was rear heater line dripped onto cat while running and it would just evaporate the coolent so I never say any signs of coolent on the ground. It did get me worried it was hg.

image.jpg
Thanks for the replies; I'm going to look into the heater lines tomorrow. I checked the cap this morning before leaving and twice now I've found what appears to be dirt or some sort of grime built up around the edge of the cap.

That buildup happens over time. Some of it is solid from the breakdown of coolant. Some of it is a product of the many chemical reactions occurring in the presence of aluminum, copper, iron, rubber, hydrogen, oxygen, heat, fiberglass/resin, etc. You get it whether you're running red or green - it just happens faster with green (cheap s***). It's why we flush at baseline and annually thereafter - at a minimum. If you see a lot of that stuff on top then you're probably at the end of your radiator's life. I'd get a new one from Onur before they're unobtanium. Change all your coolant lines while you're at it. And make sure you have a new heater valve handy as yours is likely toast (if you see any khaki color it's done).

One thing obvious in the picture is that khaki color around your radiator cap. The top and bottom of your radiator is the same material comprising your heater valve. When it gets that color it is at failure and becomes friable.

Maybe the leftovers of a sealer someone dumped in the cooling system before you picked up the truck??

Not sure if any sealant has been applied in the past. My rig does have 390K on her.

Think I'll get a new rad and hoses; as well as mod the rear heater lines.

Thanks, I'll keep this thread updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom