Builds 60 Frankenstein Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang! I want a 12HT like that one! So jealous...

I know...I'm very lucky to have met Dan at a time when he was looking to move this set up. My wife tells me if I keep looking, I shall find. Funny thing is I was not looking at this time. From time to time she gives me crap about all the cars (junk to her) we have in the shop and stuffed in the woods. If anything ever happens to me, at least my son knows the value of all this junk :)

So does this mean that bumper is available? :)

Matt, should be at some point in the future. But I still plan on putting them on the blue 60 until I change the tires to 10.5's

I was out of town working and McGuire decided it was time to pull Frankenstein back in the shop to finish sanding it down. I got in it to move it today and knew something had crawled in there and died. It smelled horrible. Started searching all the cubby holes and found this dead rattle snake in the back DS door!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443752069.852058.jpg
. This is the risk I take sticking these cars in the woods. Anyhow, we picked up some epoxy primer today and hope to get things sorted out in the next few weeks. Hope to be putting on the base/clear by the end of the month.

Getting prepped for paint. Working on the front clip. Will seal exposed metal and than disassemble and focus on the tub. Decided I'm going to remove the headliner. Thinking about buying one from SOR. Would like feedback from anyone who's gone this route vs. getting an Upolstry shop to make one.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444017515.483200.jpg

Regarding the headliner,
I'm in touch with a shop here in Bryan. He said that he will make me a custom headliner for $800. This will be a conventional "backer board" style, that will leave the pillars exposed, but cover the ugly holes above them. It will give the truck a more utilitarian look, which I have been angling towards with the whole build.

Regarding the headliner,
I'm in touch with a shop here in Bryan. He said that he will make me a custom headliner for $800. This will be a conventional "backer board" style, that will leave the pillars exposed, but cover the ugly holes above them. It will give the truck a more utilitarian look, which I have been angling towards with the whole build.
That is an interesting approach and would be easier to install. I'm looking to go stock and believe the SOR liner is in the $250ish range. Just looking to see if anyone on here has used their product as I'm curious about how well it fits and the quality. Thanks.

It's hard to escape rust... Even with an Arizona rig.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445052414.638431.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445052427.261165.jpg

Should be ready to lay the paint next weekend on the tub, looking foreword to seeing it shine once again.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445052577.436127.jpg

Does anyone know if the OEM windshield gasket is still available? If not, are there any good alternatives?

My local glass guy got me one, the hard part is finding on that accepts the chrome strip, I opted for the cheaper, more available gasket with no chrome strip grooves.
That's what I'm seeing on most cruisers. 2 of the 4 60 bodies we have are the non OEM type. Thanks for the feedback

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445105150.415995.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445105170.259084.jpg
washed the headliner with soap and water. Will see how it looks when it dries. I'm amazed at the amount of mice crap that falls out when you remove the headliner. This is the second one I've done and it gets pretty nasty up there.

wow nice work, I don't think I've ever seen someone remove a headliner like that, clean it, and get it reinstalled well. I'll stay tuned
It took a long time getting it out in one piece. That glue on the window returns is a PIA. Now I've never installed one, but will inevitably figure it out (hopefully)

You're doing fine work here!

What did that 12ht come from?
There are some differences, is it a late model?
Crossover pipes are different, I'd love to see more photos of it :)

Pål
My son said it was meant for a bus of some type. The guy I got it from imported it to California in 1985. Here are some pics.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445119698.573897.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445119712.897290.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445119729.955967.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445119743.996915.jpg

Can you guys tell me if these cross members (under the roof skin) are supposed to be flush with the roof? There is a heavy duty glue residue on both the roof skin and and the cross members. Also, I'm thinking this contributing to the wavy look of my roof.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445120529.776133.jpg

Aaaah, that's amazing!!
What a treasure! I really can't believe this...
wonder how the insides are after 30 years of not running...

It's probably out of a coaster bus.
Looks like plug and play for the most part. Something is different on the glow screen, maybe it's a single or 12v screen.
Do you have the a/c and alternator?

Aaaah, that's amazing!!
What a treasure! I really can't believe this...
wonder how the insides are after 30 years of not running...

It's probably out of a coaster bus.
Looks like plug and play for the most part. Something is different on the glow screen, maybe it's a single or 12v screen.
Do you have the a/c and alternator?
I do have the AC bracket, but not a compressor. Have a 12V alt and starter. The guy I got everything from had a few starters and McGuire took one for his 12H-T. Coaster bus was what I was looking for. That's what Mcguires research showed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom