Rear axle rebuild question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dove into the rear wheel bearing rebuild yesterday and got everything all buttoned up. When I installed the hubs and torqued for preload, I did not install the disc to the hub.

Will having the preload set to spec without the disc installed mean the preload is heavier or lighter? I am worried I just wasted a day.

Well, flushed the brake system and lowered the LSPV a tiny bit. I can tell the truck does not wander on the road as much as before which is good. Power and hills do not seem to affect things much. On the return of my test drive the driver side hub is warmer than the passenger side. It was "loaded" a with a slightly higher preload because of the way the set screws work on the rear. I am hoping everything will seat in nicely.

How warm is too warm for a hub? I can touch them both and it does not burn, but the drivers side is warmer.

I suspect what you are feeling heat wise is from the brakes. That friction generates a ton of heat. Likely one caliper is working harder than the other. Just my .02

Thanks. How do you account for one caliper working harder? Could it be because I shifted the LSPV down a scoatch?

You could have a seized piston on one side.

I would double check both pistons to make sure that both move in and out as required by operation.

Or an EBrake show could be dragging on the inside of the rotor.

Or one side could be tighter than the other in terms of bearing preload-- but I don't think this is the case--the system is set up to be quite robust and bearing preload is quite a large range.

Thanks for the info. Both of the pistons moved in when I compressed them slightly to get the calipers off the rotors. I could see it being one of the brake shoes.

BTW Beno, thanks for the parts and the goodies. I am going to be putting another order in very soon for some more driveway fun in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom