A beginners guide to buying a used GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great info and links everybody. I have a question about the KDSS system. Can the KDSS equipped GX470's be lifted? A good friend is looking at buying one with KDSS and I plan to build a set of sliders for it since no one builds them for the KDSS equipped GX's, but if they can't be lifted then buying an older one without the system is a better way to go.

Thanks
Jake

They can be lifted, I understand you need to remove the front swaybar during the install and it's tough to get back in place due to being under pressure, but doable. Sliders are tricky due to the lines for the KDSS system being in the way of the non-KDSS GX470 and 4Runner offerings mounting legs.

They can be lifted, I understand you need to remove the front swaybar during the install and it's tough to get back in place due to being under pressure, but doable. Sliders are tricky due to the lines for the KDSS system being in the way of the non-KDSS GX470 and 4Runner offerings mounting legs.

Thanks for the info.
As for the sliders I agree it will be tricky. The design will have to be completely different from the current offerings. I have a few ideas already, just waiting on a template.

Non-KDSS sliders fit with the exception of the middle bracket on the driver's side. Rework that bracket so it doesn't interfere with the KDSS pump and everything else is fine.

Non-KDSS sliders fit with the exception of the middle bracket on the driver's side. Rework that bracket so it doesn't interfere with the KDSS pump and everything else is fine.

So the KDSS lines don't interfere with the mounts, just the pump is in the way? Does anyone have pictures of the modified sliders? Is this assuming we are talking about the OPOR sliders to start with?

So the KDSS lines don't interfere with the mounts, just the pump is in the way? Does anyone have pictures of the modified sliders? Is this assuming we are talking about the OPOR sliders to start with?
The ones I have (not yet installed) and have seen (Adventure Driven) are OPOR. I grabbed a picture of their truck last week so I could see what to do with mine:

cSUtI85.png

Seth said they had to move some KDSS lines to get the sliders to fit, but minor moving (just pushing the lines out of the way).

Fitting skids (at least Budbuilt) isn't quite so simple- the front skid is cut to fit the front swaybar, and the gas tank skid is cut (and one of the mounting brackets was relocated) to clear the rear diff / driveshaft (though that's likely unrelated to KDSS).

Hahaha, yeah they hadn't had a chance to wash it yet.

If it helps, here's that bracket on mine (hasn't been modified yet).

yaFAoGO.png

In talking with Dylan with ICON about my future GX470 purchase he said to not get one with AHC if I wanted to use his 4Runner suspension kit. But in browsing adds every single GX seems to have a height control button on the shifter console? So was this just not an option on 4runners?
T

In talking with Dylan with ICON about my future GX470 purchase he said to not get one with AHC if I wanted to use his 4Runner suspension kit. But in browsing adds every single GX seems to have a height control button on the shifter console? So was this just not an option on 4runners?
T
All GXs had ahc, its apart of the air suspension, and will not affect any ability to add a lift Icon or otherwise.

Correct. non-nav is preferable if you plan on aftermarket head units or long term ownership (updates are a pain in nav). AHC is irrelevant as they all came with it, and it is easy to remove and adapt now that metal tech is making the mounts.

Correct. non-nav is preferable if you plan on aftermarket head units or long term ownership (updates are a pain in nav). AHC is irrelevant as they all came with it, and it is easy to remove and adapt now that metal tech is making the mounts.

Has anyone priced getting the Nav updated at the dealer? I'm a little afraid to ask!! When I worked at the dealer it was a disk they had to purchase and their cost was about $750 - $1000. That was a Clarion unit though so hopefully these are cheaper.

The latest DVD is either $169 or $199, can't remember which - I got a mailer from the local dealer recently that they had the newest disk for $99 for a limited time. And I passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom