The Beer Truck - Just Another 1987 BJ74 in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New maintenance item ... backup lamps no worky and it is not the bulbs since the sockets are not seeing any power. Guess I get to start tracing wiring from the NSS. I am sure the connections will be someplace that Mr. T never intended a 6' 2" tall American to be able to place eyes on much less touch with hands ...
The backup lights were fully covered by warranty until you left the county. :)

Yup. I am wondering if they were working in Cullman. I know they had worked since I got it home. Guy at Lowe's flagged me down and told me they were not working today. :bang:

They appear to be working in this photo. Fuse perhaps?
image.jpg

I will double check the fuses, but all the other lights function and I know of no other electrical issues. Probably something stupid though ....

In that picture, none of the lights are on. There is some sort of reflection almost light the flash lit up. Truck was not running for pics ....

I am hoping I'll have time to dig into the issue next weekend ....

Wiring .. It's the Grounds that Matter

So with the torrential rains we have been receiving over the last few days, I figured some due diligence was in order on the lake house I am in the process of buying. What better vehicle to take into the eye of the storm than the 74?

Radar estimates indicate that the future abode has received somewhere between 15 and 19 inches of rain in the last 48+ hours and it is still raining there. A bridge was washed out but overall, the place was OK ... so what does this have to do with the 74 and electrical? :hmm:

I was headed back towards CLT on I-77 North, running a crisp 75 MPH in moderate to heavy rain when the wipers started getting a bit jerky then stopped - just as I was passing a line of 2-3 18-wheelers ... thank gawd Charles left the seat covers on the truck.

Drove another 10 miles with near zero visibility then was out of the rain. I did a quick look when I got home ... fuse - check, power to the wiper motor - check. Must be the wiper motor. But I figured I would double check, so I applied power to the wiper motor directly from the battery and the motor tried to work ... but there were a large number of sparks from the ground wire on the wiper motor mounting bracket ... I checked the ground and the ground was intermittent at best. A quick run of an addition aground wire from the wiper motor bracket to a known good ground and I am back in business. When I have time, guess I need to start looking at all the grounds ...

Moral of the story, when in doubt, check the grounds! :bang:

Trans temp update.

This is the highest temp I have seen on road
DBBBF8DF-98B9-4B13-B344-39B74D9DD488_zpsyb9rlnce.jpg

At Cullman on the trails, I think it almost made the next mark. At least that is staying cool.

Glanced down today and saw 1250 EGT and climbing :eek: on the interstate and backed out real quick ...

Hard to put that stuff on while running 75 in the rain ....

upload_2015-10-4_14-19-35.png
If I didn't post this, Dan or Ward would. :)

A Terrain Tamer logo decal on each door of the rig will keep the rain off your windshield. We have them in 8" and 14" sizes. :)

upload_2015-10-4_14-18-39.png

So, I have a OEM Snorkel for my BJ74 but I was wondering how yours was converted. Is that a new airbox with the correct hookup for the snorkel. IF so is there a part number associated with it that you or anyone else may hae on hand?

It is a TJM snorkel that has adapters that have to be added to the standard airbox .... It does not use the OE snorkel airbox, sorry ...

It is a TJM snorkel that has adapters that have to be added to the standard airbox .... It does not use the OE snorkel airbox, sorry ...
Sam I can't remember, but does it appear as though Rob fabricated the air box adapter? I know he has fabricated several for me with the kits were incomplete.

I can tell that Rob chopped off the original intake and welded a smooth plate to fix that opening. He may very well have grabbed up the adapter on the snorkel side. I'd have to take everything apart to tell and I hate taking apart things that work fine as they are ....

No worries .... Just curious.
Peter was kind enough to supply that particular snorkel and I just couldn't remember if it came with all of the internal components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom