Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I lived in Port Macquarie the Aussie post B-Double would drive past 4 times before the local post office would deliver it on the honda 110 scooter.
I was starting to like you Billy but now you brought the footy up :bang: and I thought you where my friend. ;)

I am, that's why I left it so long after "the win" before I mentioned it........but I see its still raw... its too early, I'm sorry.:doh:

Been caught up over the last couple of weeks, but still managed to do a few things. Sometimes the small fiddly jobs take longer than the bigger jobs......hell I've come this far buggered if I'm gunna start taking short cuts now.

I had to sandblast some small brakets etc for my mate who is restoring a V6 Capri so I thought I would do the same.
THIS IS HIS PROJECT...........

Capri.jpg

Capri1.jpg

P8160094.JPG

BEFORE:

P8160089.JPG

AFTER:

P8160096.JPG

Looking good mate tell your buddy with the Capri to run a gusset or two on the clutch cable support as they have a habit off cracking on the body from fatigue.

Last edited:
I'll be sure to let him know Ozzy, thanks.

I thought I would attack the last area of rust which is under the passenger side hinge and had spread under the mount.
P9120015.JPG

It had to come off but I couldn't get the mount off without damaging it and I also wanted to mark the pillar where the hinge mount was so I could put the one off my old body in the same position.

P9120022.JPG

P9120020.JPG

I cleaned the old hinge plate and cut and shaped some plates to match the factory seams and to go behind the hinge plate, also bought some weld through primer to seal between the joints.

P9130027.JPG

P9130026.JPG

After treating the rust and sealing it with a weld through primer I welded the small panels in.

P9130030.JPG

I didn't want the hinge plate just welded to my small patches so I drilled through the skin so the weld would penetrate the pillar behind.

P9130033.JPG

P9130036.JPG

Nice work!

Thanks Bro...It feels like I'm i n s l o w m o t i o n at the moment, hence the lack of posts.

So much going on, and having to rely on some professional help means working in with other peoples schedules.
Took 4 weeks to get my engine mount back, but I am happy with the finish.
Woke up Yesterday unsure on how long it would be before the welder from up the road could weld my mounts to the chassis.
Any way by the end of the day the engine mounts were bolted to the engine,tacked to the chassis, engine removed and the mounts fully welded.
The jasmine had just started to flower in the spring morning dew and the joeys were wrestling by the dam :D

PA010127.JPG

PA030129.JPG

PA030131.JPG

PA030132.JPG

The chassis and engine was leveled and also bolted to the gear box mount along with the reference points given earlier.
At this point I tacked the engine mounts to the chassis.

PA030134.JPG

Then fully welded.

PA030135.JPG

Even kept the imprint of the original mount on the right side.

PA030140.JPG

Billy looking forward to see the body on as it's looking good mate.

I'm inching closer every week Brian.
Its getting warmer now so should be able to put some afternoons in now that the pythons are moving out of the shed and eating the fat winter field mice. Nom..Nom. Its only spring and the pool was 26*C deg today. Gunna be a hot long summer me thinks.

IMG_0837.JPG

After everything was painted and sealed and I had a beer in my hand it was only natural that I wash it.:beer:

PA040171.JPG

Sat the engine/gearbox back in on the finished mounts, level and square and bolted it all down. Gotta say....... it felt good!

PA050001.JPG

PA050004.JPG

PA050011.JPG

I will start detailing the engine in between finishing off the body.
I ordered the rubber cab mounts today and hope to spray the body floor and under floor with the ute liner over the next few weeks.
I will sit the body on the chassis for a while so I can do the on body fitments of flares etc.

So, back to the body this week.
Gotta get all the grinding,patching,welding out of the way so I can do a final all over primer.
I removed the seat tower/anchor points so I could re position the holes for my suspension seats. As mentioned earlier there are captive nuts under the floor which I must drill through so I can fit the frames.

PA080021.JPG

PA080022.JPG

I tapered the plate material down to the primer leaving the bulk still there. Seeing I'm applying a 2mm textured finish around this area I'm hoping it will not be noticed.
I used this notched grinding blade which made it easier as I could see the work surface through the disc.
P9130031.JPG

PA080023.JPG

PA080025.JPG

I drilled through from underneath with a 5mm drill to give me a position from the other side.
PA090039.JPG

Then I used a step drill from the other side which will centre itself if slightly out and debur the top edge without hitting the thread of the nut.

PA090041.JPG

PA090042.JPG

I also had to alter the bar running across the gear box hump for the seats to be adjustable. I will have to check if I have to re-enforce any of this? or if it is was just for the seat mounts? I want to use it to mount my console to and will weld plate to enclose but not for strength.

PA090046.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom