Bad Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 62 series landcruiser with brake issues. It recently was knocked back from the engineer due to a stiff brake pedal. He had to apply almost 1000kn of force to the pedal and the brakes came in at 52%... not good. I have tested the booster and seems to be working fine, bled the system, roughed up the front discs and pads, rear shoes and drums appear to be fine. My problem is when you step heavy on the pedal it goes rock hard about half travel. So I then bled the system from the proportioning valve just below the master cyl. in doing this the pedal went all the way to the floor when doing the front but didn't go all the way when bleeding the backs...? any ideas on why this would be the case... Any help would be appreciated...

The problem appears to be in the rear brake circuit, since you can't even get the pedal to hit the floor when trying to bleed the rears.

The way I would go about troubleshooting this is to work from the master cylinder rear brake line back.

Loosen the rear compression fitting a tad for the rear brakes at the MC, place a big rag under it, then see if you can push the pedal to the floor. If yes, go to the next fitting down the line and check the same way. It seems, by your description, that there is a blockage somewhere/somehow before the hose that leads down to the rear axle.

Did anything inadvertently get clamped over a brake line?

The problem appears to be in the rear brake circuit, since you can't even get the pedal to hit the floor when trying to bleed the rears.

The way I would go about troubleshooting this is to work from the master cylinder rear brake line back.

Loosen the rear compression fitting a tad for the rear brakes at the MC, place a big rag under it, then see if you can push the pedal to the floor. If yes, go to the next fitting down the line and check the same way. It seems, by your description, that there is a blockage somewhere/somehow before the hose that leads down to the rear axle.

Did anything inadvertently get clamped over a brake line?

Thanks for your reply Shaft.

The downstream lines to rears are all ok. The problem is with the proportioning valve mounted directly below the MC. When I crack the front line coming out the pedal goes to the floor, but when I try the same with the rears the pedal stops short of the floor... Not sure why that would be the case... Do you think the valve may be stuck? Haven't really had one of the valves go bad before...

I don't have experience with proportioning valves (I have a 60), but the braking system is about a simple as it can be.

If you can't bleed brake fluid out of either rear cylinder, but you can bleed it from the MC, there is a blockage somewhere in between.

The PV seems like it could be a suspect, (it is a valve after all) cuz everything down stream of it is just a tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom