Builds GX470 expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.squashingrocks.com
I decided that my '97 LX450 was too slow and overbuilt for my purposes, so I sold it and bought something a bit newer and more comfortable (with a lot more power). I'm going to use this for shorter-ish trips (likely max of about two weeks) but it'll also serve as a daily until it becomes impractical.

Pardon the structure - this is a few days worth of posts from another forum.

It seems I don't have any pictures of it stock, but it wasn't that exciting. Step one was tires - 265/65R17 street tires aren't the greatest for rock squashing, so that was fixed with a set of 255/75R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

LCbdzwg.png

6EkLiNe.png

b6i4FDO.png

Next up was a Pioneer Platform roofrack, which is much more useful than the stock bars. Unfortunately it added some wind noise, but it's still quieter on the highway than an econobox, so there's that. I bought this from Seth at Adventure Driven (great guy, if you're ever looking for a Baja or Grand Canyon tour, hit him up!).

kVVG2lu.png

MetalTech 4x4 had a group buy on their OPOR rock sliders, so I snagged a set. Unfortunately they were damaged in shipping, but since a perfect fit/finish isn't necessary, I squashed the dent out as best as I could.
QKmdOJn.png

QSf3eAc.png

Primed (2 coats), scuffed, and cleaned with wax/grease remover, ready for paint:
QfFnv1G.png

Painted - now 5-9 hours to dry to handle, so they'll sit here for a while:
5xAItci.png

Once again, Seth was upgrading so I had an opportunity to pick up a set of ARB storage drawers, as well as as some Budbuilt skid plates (four skids, from engine to fuel tank). Since I have quite a while before I can do anything with the sliders, I'm getting the ARB drawers installed.

tYbjOj9.png

Test fitting before I drill into the floor:
uyi1M2E.png

Seat clearance:
4yxibKZ.png

Test fit for my 63 quart Edgestar fridge/freezer, before I commit to drilling:
fYnnJ7d.png

Looks good!
9nm1Zls.png

Drilling - can't see too well with all the crap under the truck, and I ended up finding it with my finger. It's not bad at all, but linked if you're a little squeamish. Anyway, it's in the right spot but the bolts I bought were too short (35mm) - I underestimated how much carpet/sound deadening was in the floor of this thing. Ace Hardware (my bolt source) closes at 7 minutes and it's 9 minutes away, so I suppose I shall resume in the morning.

I was at Ace Hardware before dawn, swapping out bolts for longer ones and also picking up hardware to mount the fridge. One drawer is done. It was a pain in the ass - the drawer frame has some flex to it, and since the front bracket crossed over a hard seat mount and the rear bracket was just on carpet, I ended up with a twisted frame. Less than ideal, so I put a standoff in between the frame and the carpet to make some more space. It's tolerable now.

XW14fDR.png

y1cFyKy.png

G3SFSoc.png

It's a little bit warped, but the drawer and lid is a little flexible so it works fine:
xKzsuR8.png

Done:
w5AwelR.png

Finally got the drawers completed. It's warm outside...took a lot longer than I thought. There's a lot of stuff under the truck that I had to avoid when dropping bolts in, and I didn't want to have any 'oops' moments. It worked out! Now to mount the fridge.

UfeY1Ug.png

wavomHl.png

SV0AIhr.png

The fridge is in!
x1ghb9B.png

QoS6aOf.png

Next up is to get a longer power cord for it, since it can't reach anything right now. It was supposed to come with a 110v harness too, but I don't think that showed up.

The swaybar (with KDSS) can sometimes contact the front skidplate, so I put a piece of hose on it (thx Seth @ Adventure Driven for the tip) to prevent metal on metal contact on bumpy roads.
htUDubF.png

The stock "skid plate" next to Budbuilt's offering:
jDdsRPo.png

Steps removed:
ZBkPenC.png

Cu3oNcN.png

The Budbuilt skids use existing holes, but mine were unfriendly enough that I ran a tap through quite a few of them to make life not suck.
xVKt7Ju.png

Crossmember installed - this OEM skidplate was touching it. I feel it's unnecessary now, so I removed it.
gNm5AKO.png

Heat wrap complete! The center skid will contact the exhaust so I was advised to wrap this section to avoid rattling.
AwHY06x.png

Stock fuel tank skid dropped, Budbuilt skid under the truck:
Ojlv7TE.png

This one is heavy...with the exemption of the engine skid, all the plates bolt together. It's halfway supported now, so it's easier to manage:
PLUwF3e.png

FINALLY!
MqSDULb.png

A2yz576.png

QKWFBMj.png

I'm flying to the east coast for work tomorrow, so until I get a job in Phoenix again I'll have to work on this during vacation time / trips back to my house. The next planned trip is in December, when I am hoping to get the timing belt/water pump/radiator and suspension (Radflo 2.5" ext travel) replaced.

All done for today.
jft7O01.png

MjwCfSA.png

Last edited:
looks great and better in person

Really digging your GX, @JLee - very tasteful, and thanks for the detailed photos and tips on those skids!

Looks Awesome hope you get the job in Phoenix so we can take these GX's out to see who much punishment they can take .I do not think we have Lexus off road club in AZ we have Toyota club but I don't think they like Starbucks :)))

Looks Awesome hope you get the job in Phoenix so we can take these GX's out to see who much punishment they can take .I do not think we have Lexus off road club in AZ we have Toyota club but I don't think they like Starbucks :)))
I made that joke to my parents this weekend who both drive Toyotas... they did not find it funny :doh:

Can I ask how much was budbuilt skid cost you .If they are expensive I will try to take mine off and see if I can have Fab shop I work with make them.

I think they're about $1200 new from Budbuilt. I bought these used from Adventure Driven - they're switching to aluminum.

Have run aluminum since new and love them...WAY lighter! If you spend a lot of time in the rocks they get a bit warped and require some quality hammer time though.

Honestly the gas tank skid saved me more trouble, followed by the belly (t-case). The hoops that support the t-case/tranny get stuck on rocks and pick up logs. The gas tank skid prevents the squishy tank from losing volume. End to end they are all important, just happens to be what you happen to run into/run over.

@JLee - What did you have to do to the BB front skid to make it work with KDSS?

@JLee - What did you have to do to the BB front skid to make it work with KDSS?
I didn't have to do anything, because Seth/Adventure Driven had them first. :p

I believe he just removed some of the skid so it'd clear the swaybar - you can see in the underside pic where it has been cut (look at the top right corner of the skidplate).

Sorry to hear you selling this, glad it's going to your dad, hope the job is going well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom