Traumatic Brain Injury Talk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just before Lakecamp a JK broke the front track bar loose, took a couple hours to repair it.

Getting ready to go at Lakecamp Lake. The nights/mornings were cold, but the days were really nice the last three days of the trip.

Just after gatekeeper another JK had the same breakage as the other one.

A little ways down from Kaiser Pass the CJ5 ran out of gas. He got help from a JK, no one else ran out.

I had a good time, I didn't have times I was overwhelmed and couldn't speak. There was a time while riding in the Jeep, the conversation turned to what happened in the club. The driver got mad and suggested I change the subject. I told him I appreciate him talking to me about that as much as he did, I can drop it, after nine years it's gonna be hard to let it go. I didn't bring it back up. He stayed mad for a while. By the time we got where we were going that day, it blew over, and the rest of the trip went really well. This was day five of seven.

At the end of the trail we took pictures by the sign, he was really pleased and standing behind me with his hands on my shoulders. I think others can let things go easier than I can, it kept bugging me. After the pictures he asked the group if they had something to give me, they all ran at me giving me hugs, and money. I didn't expect any money. I thought what I got out of it was them getting me up there, and taking care of my meals.

Great pictures Ed!!

I'm glad you had such a great time, with such a nice bunch of people!!

Now you know you can do it and have a good time doing it, maybe more opportunities will come your way!!

A friend I served with sent me an email early Tuesday morning, saying him and his wife were going to a PTSD class at the Vet Center later that morning, and me and my wife should go. We did, the teacher covered some good points and was humorous while doing it. The class is every two weeks, and that was the third of ten. We plan on continuing, I think it will be helpful.

The OIF/OEF group meets again tonight, I plan on going.

I had the president of the Back Country Horsemen call about a week and a half ago, he's also in the 4WD club. He wasn't at the meeting when I got voted out, went to the next meeting and heard what happened. He wanted to sit down and talk to me to make sure he didn't lose me. I told him people that treat me right won't lose me. I helped them install a toilet in the back country a couple years ago, also helped at the same location last year. Was supposed to help them build a couple log tables this year, but couldn't because of my eye surgery. They're one of the groups I havn't had to tell what my difficulties are, because they're so low stress it isn't a problem. He knows though.

Yeah, and it's still tough to keep the negative stuff/people out of my head. It keeps getting better as time goes on though. I think not being able to let things go is a PTSD symptom. I've been getting more involved in treatment thinking it will help me.

There was a strong feeling of "I'm in the right place" "we understand each other".

It's always great to find common ground and language... That's not always entirely possible with people who don't share 'like' experiences.

I'm glad you found a good group Ed!!

I think I remember a while back someone in the local club around DC talking about partnering up with local veterans groups and offering right seat rides to veterans, I don't know if anything materialized from that or not, either way it could be a great experience for everyone involved if something like that was to happen.
Most veterans minds think alike anyways, I have always found it a waste of time to speak to non veterans about service!
Yep, that was us in CLCC...I was trying to coordinate with 4wheel to Heal to help out and offer some rigs up for guys to ride in. I sent in our application but the comms were sporadic and we never really got a good conversation going. I have let the effort go dormant for a while. I retired from the Navy in July (I plan to intro myself to the Vets Hiway group at some point here), so finding a job and moving took priority. I have several friends who have PTSD and TBI's associated with their time in the service and my dad, who is also a Vet, has a TBI he suffered in 2011, though his is a result of falling off the 2nd story of his house.
BTW, CLCC also donated $14,700 to Fisher house as a result of our 1977 FJ40 raffle.
I plan to re-energize the comms with 4W2H in the new year.

Last edited:
Stump, keep us posted on updates with this. Wish I could get involved more with the CLCC, but it is too far of a stretch to make most times!

I went to speech therapy a couple days ago, this provider isn't doing what I want. The provider that quit two years ago did multi tasking to overload the brain, I saw direct results from it. This one has me do worksheets, one at a time, then talks to me like a counselor. I think it's helpful, but I already see a counselor. They already hired a replacement for the other provider, she worked with the other provider as a student, and does the same stuff. I need to talk to the one I'm seeing now to get transferred, and havn't done it because she's a nice lady. My counselor sent her an email telling her I benefitted from the other type of treatment, and there was no mention of it this last time.

Try explaining to her what works best for you. If you are hesitant about trying to verbalize it, write her a letter and present it to her and wait while she reads it.

While her work is (hopefully) important to her, your progress is more important... If she's a nice lady, she should welcome your input.

HTH

I "have" told her, a few sessions back. She went so far as to say the other pathologist wouldn't be able to help me because she's new and unexperienced.

Then, I guess you'll have to give her an ultimatum... Either listen to you and help you work on multitasking or transfer you to the rookie... Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest...

Thanks, but they don't make me wait more than 30 days, and i'm less than 40 miles from the hospital.

I'm thinking of having business size cards printed up, that say something like this. For the people that won't stop pushing me when I'm having difficulties, and I can't verbally tell them what's going on. Thoughts?

Due to a head injury I'm overwhelmed, can't think, can't speak, and am in extreme pain right now. Please be understanding, and don't try to communicate with me. This will pass in time, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom