Picked up a new project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93yotasr5

Come and take it
Threads
Just Picked this old military trailer up the other day. Looks like it was originally a flatbed and someone made a cage and ramp for it. I plan on removing all of that and making some supports for my roof top tent. Needs some work but I got it for super cheap!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
That's pretty sweet. What are the dimensions on it? Any data plates? Fenders, safety chains, and wheel on the leg all look unfamiliar to me. The hubs on that axle look like 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Looks as though some stuff had been added or changed out. Not sure about the wheel up front but it's kinda handy when moving around. The fenders were made, but I kind of like them. There isn't any info plate to confirm the date or use of this trailer. Definitely not original, but I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't going to cut it up and modify it.

Looks as though some stuff had been added or changed out. Not sure about the wheel up front but it's kinda handy when moving around. The fenders were made, but I kind of like them. There isn't any info plate to confirm the date or use of this trailer. Definitely not original, but I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't going to cut it up and modify it.
For sure, I was just kind of curious about its history. I like that kind of stuff.

Yeah I was really hoping it would've had the plate attached. Nice to know when and where it came from. I am going to either slightly lift the trailer to match my truck, or I will find a set of new 5 lug wheels and tires that will get it closer to my height. I think the lift will be much cheaper though. although I would have to install a new front support to keep it from being un-level when unhooked.
do you have any experience with the off road trailer hitches at all?
Im thinking about getting one.

Yeah I was really hoping it would've had the plate attached. Nice to know when and where it came from. I am going to either slightly lift the trailer to match my truck, or I will find a set of new 5 lug wheels and tires that will get it closer to my height. I think the lift will be much cheaper though. although I would have to install a new front support to keep it from being un-level when unhooked.
No, I've always just used the lunette. I think @titanpat57 has one of the off-road hitches.

if it still had the lunette set up id just stay that route. But since finding a lunette set up and buying a new pintle hook will probably cost about the same, ill probably just go that route.

BTW the trailer is 5' wide and 7' long. Depending on my plans, I may cut it down a foot shorter. We'll see.
any suggestions thus far?

What size are the tires? The axle/wheel look old. My old M101A1 has 16" wheels but they are split rimes. This looks more like my M416 wheel/axle. I don't know much about military trailers but the ones I've seen had ribs stamped into the floor. The A frame out front is heavier then a M416. Any pictures frame/axle/springs? By the height of the cage looks something a tire shop would use to haul tires or insulation company to haul bat insulation to the job site. The expanded metal ramp looks like it's for foot traffic for loading and unloading.

I will get some pics snapped of the frame and wheels. To be honest I haven't had much time to inspect it since i purchased it. I plan on repainting the wheels and finding new tires for it soon. the bearings will be checked/replaced and or re-greased. the wire wheel will probably come out soon to start stripping it down. the bed will be painted with bed liner, and the outer will be painted an OD green, or white to match my rig. not sure yet. id like to be able to mount my tepui awning along with my RTT. I like the idea of the flatbed that way I can still access the area below the tent when everything is set up.

Heres some pics of the wheel and undercarriage

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@Teddy is right...I'm using the Max coupler...have been for 5 years now...love it.

Make your mod list out a few times and double check it against wants/needs/budget...save the hassle of doing things over.

If I can be any help let me know...good luck!

I'm going to look into getting one.
I have changed my mod list like5 times already. I did just install a new wiring harness and a harbor freight led light set. It works great and is super bright!

Took the side rails off and will be grinding off the hinges for the ramp next. After that I will hit it with the wire wheel to prep it for some paint.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That really is an interesting mix and match of a trailer now that I can see it better. Wheel on the landing leg looks like it's from an M105, hubs look like M101a2, looks like there is still a hardline for surge brakes on the passenger side of the tongue, but they cut the master cylinder off and welded on a ball coupler?

Yeah it looks like a total Frankenstein trailer. The front wheel and tongue will be removed I'm thinking about lengthening the tongue and going with the max coupler or a new pintle set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom