Builds Grey Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow great build ... we have some simular taste in our vehicles ha ha.... your the only one iv seen other than myself with the General Grabbers. .. go check out my GX build (THE GeNTLeMaN) in 120 tech ...
I like seeing how other fabricators think Looking forward to seeing your journey :popcorn:

So because I have a 10, my DRLs are the amber markers, which I think looks way cooler than the hi beams.

I had to jockey the front bumper around a little, needs some more tweaking but it's sitting way better this morning than it was this morning. I also did some quick welds and put my light bar back on. I need to get a relay to finish it up since I'm going to have it switched off the hi beams but that can come later. Also remounted my Toyota badge on the pro upper.

Wow great build ... we have some simular taste in our vehicles ha ha.... your the only one iv seen other than myself with the General Grabbers. .. go check out my GX build (THE GeNTLeMaN) in 120 tech ...
I like seeing how other fabricators think Looking forward to seeing your journey :popcorn:

thanks boss, getting ready to start reading yours

marshal, Thank you for a very admirable thread. How is your rebuild working out?

marshal, Thank you for a very admirable thread. How is your rebuild working out?

great thanks, here are some more updates.

got the bumper wings trimmed off. i thought i had some 1/8th" steel laying around to box the end together but i can't find it. ill have to pick some up to weld the ends closed.

i had to use duct tape to mark the cut line BECAUSE SOMEONE USED ALL THE BLUE PAINTERS TAPE

and a b&W just because

then i placed an order for some EBC Green stuff 6000 series brake pads. going through my paperwork from the previous owner and the last inspection of the brakes by a shop under their ownership was at ~38,000 miles and they were about half way through their life. i can only assume that my heavy braking habits at nearly 80,000 and they're due for a replacement. i can't really be bothered to take these wheels and tires off to inspect them with the level of apathy i have going on today.

anyway, these Green Stuff pads should be awesome and offer about 30% more stopping performance over stock. i ran the Yellow stuff on the front of my Jeep with 37" tires and it worked awesome, but it ate through those pads every 20,000 miles, and at $150 bucks for a pair them, no thanks.

also ordered a pair of H9 bulbs to swap my H11 low beams out with. should double my available lumens out of the low beam

did my brakes. WOW what a difference. huge improvement on the pedal feel and initial bite of the brakes and for the first time since it was stock, i can lock the brakes up cold (with E rated 35x12.50's)

i was super surprised with how the pads change out on the front calipers, i never really looked at them when i had the tires off before - but the whole cartridge concept was really cool.

old vs new on the front. the old ones had ~75,000 miles and were the original blue Toyota set

rear pads were even thinner, which i was surprised at.

Went to depot today for a new Diablo cutting disk, some class 10.9 bolts, and some thread locker.

Decided to tackle my frame horn ends. Since the accident theyre mangled and my bumper has been held on by 4 bolts instead of 8. So needless to say, things were moving around and the 1/8th inch frame ends were too ****ed up to be saved.

So, I cut them off.

I had Luke at 4x4labs send me the frame side pieces he uses for the front bumpers, my intent was to weld them in place and use them instead. And at 1/4" they're much more substantial than the factory ones.

Broke out the Miller

I forgot to snap a pic of them welded on without the bumper on, but here is the final shot before paint. Is also added a 3/16th 90* gusset onto the frame horns to help aid destroying my frame in the event of another frontal collision.

Then I got our new stickers in and a new banner. Anyone that is interested in the major league stickers, follow our Instagram [MENTION=102307]Forge[/MENTION]overland for when they'll be for sale. Hoping very soon once I get the online store figured out.

wow. that aftermarket front bumper really altered the way the airbag system worked. They should have deployed.

However, the bumper may have saved further body damage, so it is interesting to see the affects. You often see arguments on how aftermarket bumpers REALLY affect crashworthiness.

wow. that aftermarket front bumper really altered the way the airbag system worked. They should have deployed.

However, the bumper may have saved further body damage, so it is interesting to see the affects. You often see arguments on how aftermarket bumpers REALLY affect crashworthiness.

it absorbed a ton of energy, and i wasnt very far from having my truck totaled out. the 4Runners use an accelerometer for the air bag system, so the energy absorbed by the bumper didnt transmit it directly to me/accelerometer.

hopefully with this added gusset and the larger frame horn ends, if i ever get into another frontal collision my frame will be too mangled that they won't have any choice but to total the truck.

worthless update, but an update none the less

I've been averaging 14.9MPG according to the computer since i got my truck back, which is about 1MPG less than what it was before the accident. i assumed it was because the alignment was off, but i hadn't had a chance to get it checked. i went in and had a laser alignment done and just as i suspected, the caster and toe was WAAAAAAY off.

its way more stable on the interstate, less flighty - and best of all, I'm back to averaging 15.8-16.0 MPG per the computer.

all that said though, my actual fuel milage corrected for the tire size is about 16.2MPG

that is all.

2 years

BroRunner frosty winter mornings

BroRunner is out and about. i think next i want to get a set of new wheels for it. I'm pretty well disgusted with all these faux deadlocks everyone is making and distributing everywhere, i just want a traditional rim. if i wanted a beadlock, id go get a real beadlock. this truck doesnt need those, and i don't need to be pushing around all that extra rotational mass for nothing.

anyway, i think I've pretty much decided on some SCS F5's because they're very lightweight, and they have the perfect amount of backspacing I'm looking for. my problem now though, is i can't decide on what color to get. I'm leaning towards bronze and flipping the red letters on the inside to get some color on the ol' girl, but I'm not really sure. black suits her just fine too.

Bronze. (are we voting?)

Im running the black Method Roost with the same tire ... I hate fake bead locks as well ... They light and have whatever offset you want ... they also come in bronze
GX-FrontBumper.jpg

if the Roost's didnt have all the extra machine work in them they would be a top contender for me. i just want something simple. i think I've been convinced of getting bronze SCS F5's

a few weeks ago i picked up a set of Hella Sharp Tones

Hella makes the Super Tones which some people on here have, they're the black and red ones - and they recently just started importing the Sharp Tones as well. basically they're 350/415Hz range dual tone - so it pretty well mimics the american style horns vs the Sharp Tones 300/500hz which is extremely german and piercing. they're 115 dB so obscenely loud as well.

i made a harness for them, which i didnt take any pictures of because the sun was setting fast and the wind was ridiculous and i just couldn't be bothered. really pleased with them though. not sure if i like that they can be plainly seen from the outside through the grill, i might paint them black.

I much prefer this over the red out.

Those wheels look stunning.

Wow.

New skid!

Scuffed the surface up with some 120 grit and then wiped it down with alcohol

Aluminum primer

Aaaaaand I let things get slightly out of hand

Also, new stickers are available on the website.

TWERK

Skid on

And I finally got my 55watt 5500k morimoto kit in, because I simply just don't give a **** anymore.

However, it's official. I'm obnoxious in real life now too.

In my Amazon cart...

61y7x5veXJL._SY606_.jpg
41HokvXjChL.jpg

Already have a blue cb antenna. I guess I can let you share this color. What is it, FJ Blue? Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom