So I took my stock roof rack off... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I took off my stock roof rack and found this underneath, six of the screws came out perfectly, but two of the inserts pulled out. Not really bad condition, rust wise, for NH. My question is, will it be better to have the holes welded up and painted over, or to fill the screw inserts with silicone and a short screw and rubber plugs for the two holes where the insert came out?

so......when I bought my 1994 FZJ80....the PO had removed the factory rack as well. all four of the contact point were filled with RTV or something like that...now they dont leak, but I am going to have a body shop patch with metal and sand and prime...as the RTV fix just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. My $.02
good luck

I will be doing this very soon. My plan is this:

Use finishing disks and sand inserts down flush with the roof

Fill in using reinforced auto body filler and sand smooth

Prime and coat entire roof in bed liner. Specifically Monstaliner

Not sure how comfortable you are with doing body work, but thats my plan. :meh:

image.jpg
image.jpg
That's not bad at all. ESP for NH

Did this ten years back on my rig and again just this past week on a friends.

I drilled out rivnuts with 3/16 bit. Sanded down rust around hole to bare metal primed and painted with duplicolor match (seems you don't need this step). Went to hardware store and bought 15/32 rubber nutserts and 8-24 stainless hardware. Inserted those with a dab of paint safe silicone and tightened up. Been leak free since

Other option would be the quick steel putty. Can mix up and smush into the holes, let cure, grind smooth and paint.

But if budget allows absolutely it would be best to weld and paint over Will require dropping headliner to prevent burning it

Last edited:
I used quick steel puddy. It's been holding up fine. Would like to weld them up one day but not on the priority list at the moment.

I will be doing this very soon. My plan is this:

Use finishing disks and sand inserts down flush with the roof

Fill in using reinforced auto body filler and sand smooth

Prime and coat entire roof in bed liner. Specifically Monstaliner

Not sure how comfortable you are with doing body work, but thats my plan. :meh:

I have a guy who repairs my tractors and will weld me up for beer... Otherwise I like your approach.
The roof in monstaliner is interesting for sure. Would be interested in seeing the finished product

I have a guy who repairs my tractors and will weld me up for beer... Otherwise I like your approach.
The roof in monstaliner is interesting for sure. Would be interested in seeing the finished product

Yeah. I know of a few threads on here showing a monstalined lined roof, and I will def post pics in my build thread.

Quick steel puffy for sure.

It works and it's one of the least expensive methods to seal those holes. Painted over mine with Toyota matching touch up paint.

I think I'll end up going for the weld up and paint method, but for now I found rubber nutserts and SS hardware to keep anything out of there, along with waterproof silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom