12h-t freshen up and swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holy crap. Where did you find a 0 KM 12H-T?

My dad was scanning craigslist and miraculously found it. I didn't believe him at first, but it was imported back in 1988 as a "test" motor for Toyota. I suspect that is why there is a black intake tube, and the valve cover is a little different than mine.

Honestly I am stil shocked that such a thing exists.

I am as well since that engine would have had no reason to be here in the states for testing for anything!

Epic find!
:clap:

I am as well since that engine would have had no reason to be here in the states for testing for anything!

Epic find!
:clap:

The owner said that it was a test motor in Japan and him and his dad were able to get their hands on this one and a few more back in the day.

Yea he always has to one up me when it comes to cruisers... I will be getting in touch with you in the near future for some base lining items for my dad!

I was fortunate to meet a great guy who had all of this. He's had the 60 (was his dad's originally) since 1987 as well as the motor. This was a planned conversion that they never got around to completing. Some unfortunate circumstances has caused him to now part with it. He's been great throughout the transaction and look forward to meeting him in person when we make the road trip to retrieve the setup.

Could it be an 11Z forklift engine? I see a few differences more than just the intake pipes...

I agree, but there is no BVSV and water temperature sensor on the oil cooler housing. That said, it could also be one out of a Coaster van

12H-T's were in everything from trucks to buses all over the world, finding a 'demo' is really cool!
Please show all steps to getting the tach to work.

She's in! Got the motor stabbed last night but it was too dark for pictures. The mounts are tacked in, now I am just going to double check everything and burn them in permanently.

IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2939.JPG

Today I am going to figure out my throttle cable/pedal setup and also fab up a cable to use as a shut off. For some reason I don't know if I trust the VSV vacuum cutoff. Also picked up some Rotella 15W40, radiator fluid, diesel rated fuel line, fuel and oil filters from NAPA so I should be ready to go when it comes time for starting it up!

Stay tuned

Thats def a 12ht, injector pump, lines and injectors all look right

I agree, but there is no BVSV and water temperature sensor on the oil cooler housing. That said, it could also be one out of a Coaster van

12H-T's were in everything from trucks to buses all over the world, finding a 'demo' is really cool!
Please show all steps to getting the tach to work.

The valve cover is also a bit different, but it has "12H" casted on the block just like mine. Were there any changes throughout the years for the 12h-t? I know mine came out of an '88 HJ61, I am wondering if his was just an earlier model. You can tell that it has never been used by looking at the coolant pickups throughout the block. That and the paint is still the nice blue color.

@cruiserpilot I was looking at the pickup wires yesterday that bolt into the bell housing and it looks like it has one ground wire and then the other connects to the existing harness. I will make sure to document the process once I get around to it!

@cruiserpilot I was looking at the pickup wires yesterday that bolt into the bell housing and it looks like it has one ground wire and then the other connects to the existing harness. I will make sure to document the process once I get around to it!

I think you're right about the pickup wires. one ground, and one to harness. sensor is reading off the flywheel.
if there's something specific you need pictures of, i can pop the hood and zoom in at whatever you need off a stock 12ht.

I've heard if you connect the wires wrong, the sensor can be damaged so care is necessary. The sensor is expensive. It is difficult to wire a diesel tach to a 12V gasser harness

I think you're right about the pickup wires. one ground, and one to harness. sensor is reading off the flywheel.
if there's something specific you need pictures of, i can pop the hood and zoom in at whatever you need off a stock 12ht.

Thank you sir, I will take you up on that offer here shortly. My 12V starter finally came in so its time to get busy on the wiring!

I've heard if you connect the wires wrong, the sensor can be damaged so care is necessary. The sensor is expensive. It is difficult to wire a diesel tach to a 12V gasser harness

Their expensive alright. 300ish if i remember correctly

Ya one of the wires split off the other day and all that was left was a little stub on the sensor, luckily I was able to fuse it back together. I am pretty sure Dan has a good write up on his build thread about how to wire it up so I will be referencing that when the time comes.

wiring up the tach could not be any easier. check my thread you don't even have to run any wires through the firewall. I just made a small subharness to extend it over the bell housing to the factory tach pickup on the passenger fender where the coil used to reside. 100 percent plug and play if you have a stash of extra connectors from a parts truck so no need to cut and splice at all

Today I am going to figure out my throttle cable/pedal setup and also fab up a cable to use as a shut off. For some reason I don't know if I trust the VSV vacuum cutoff. Also picked up some Rotella 15W40, radiator fluid, diesel rated fuel line, fuel and oil filters from NAPA so I should be ready to go when it comes time for starting it up!

Stay tuned

the vacuum shut off is dead reliable and simple. also no need to add extra wires if you use the existing fuel solenoid connection wire at the carb and use it to power the vsv. if you need a new vsv it is available I just purchased a new one when I did my swap. check my thread for part number references

wiring up the tach could not be any easier. check my thread you don't even have to run any wires through the firewall. I just made a small subharness to extend it over the bell housing to the factory tach pickup on the passenger fender where the coil used to reside. 100 percent plug and play if you have a stash of extra connectors from a parts truck so no need to cut and splice at all

Awesome that is good news. I am having trouble finding a connector that fits onto the tach pickup but it's probably still attached to the HJ harness.

the vacuum shut off is dead reliable and simple. also no need to add extra wires if you use the existing fuel solenoid connection wire at the carb and use it to power the vsv. if you need a new vsv it is available I just purchased a new one when I did my swap. check my thread for part number references

I wish I would have seen this earlier, I pulled out most of the old carb related wires... I still have them labeled though so I can just run them back through and plug it in. The vsv looks almost identical to the vacuum switch that was on the drivers side fender for emissions, I wonder if that would work? I am planning on using the old choke cable and fabbing up a manual kill switch for peace of mind.

I've been taking care of the wiring situation the past couple of days and so far so good!

First step was separating the motor specific wiring out of the HJ-61 harness (glow screen, turbo tach lights, starter solenoid, etc.)
IMG_2966.jpg IMG_2967.jpg

Then I went through and isolated the carb and emissions wiring out of the 2f harness which was pretty straight foreword.
IMG_2964.jpg

Also this is the rocker switch that I am going to use for the glow screen:
IMG_2948.jpg

Tomorrow will be more wiring, but I am at the point now where it's time to start plugging stuff in!

Does anyone know where to connect this wire (black with red stripe) for the start solenoid:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441830736.787413.jpg

It was connected to the transmission harness plug on the HJ-61 setup. This is the only one that is stomping me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom