22REvolution. An 85 Pickup West Texas Build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up some parts from a friend today. Gearbox is set up with the Marlin crawler gears.
The rims are factory Toyota chrome rims. The rims measure 7" and I was wondering if 12.5's would seat? As for the gearbox, it won't bolt up to the auto tranny will it? This might change things if it won't.

IMG_0346_zpsgunzx7wz.jpg

Those look to be the land cruiser rims. I wouldn't run 12.5 tires on them.

Ok, gotcha! I probably don't have enough experience yet to be able to do this piece meal. I do understand that you lose caster when you lift a truck and so it needs to be put back in whether it be a cut and turn or shims. Not sure how allpro handles this but will check into it. Thank you for the input.
Assuming you means castor angle as chamber is fixed on a solid axle in good health. If off death wobble can be a
Ok, gotcha! I probably don't have enough experience yet to be able to do this piece meal. I do understand that you lose caster when you lift a truck and so it needs to be put back in whether it be a cut and turn or shims. Not sure how allpro handles this but will check into it. Thank you for the input.
Think you mean castor angle not chamber. I've always been told don't use shims on front but have heard of it being done. Cutting and rotating knuckle is usually done to correct pinion angle with higher lifts.
Converting '85 to auto to 5spd isn't that bad several write ups. '85 frame is better option than SASing an IFS in my opinion. Can run lower lift so COG stays lower. All really depends on what you plan to do with rig.

Keep and build the 85. Junk the auto. They suck. Either find a w56 or swap trannys with your other rig. Tranny swap sounds like a ton of work so it might just be easier to find an entire setup and drop the cash. Either way your main priority should be to get the 85 running and driving perfect before you do any modding and building. Manual tranny, EFI, solid axle is a must. Don't try and make a tow rig out of an yota, you will be highly disappointed. Build the 85. Sell the 86 as is. Don't drop any money in it. You won't get it back out of the sale.

I pulled the 86 into the shop so I can get it running. Figure it is worth more running than not. If nothing more, it makes it a lot easier to pull in and out of my shop while I rob parts off.:D

Those look to be the land cruiser rims. I wouldn't run 12.5 tires on them.
Ok. Thanks. I got them for free so nothing lost.

Todays update. The spare differential sets showed up today. Also scored a 4 spd tranny thrown in on the deal. Don't plan to use it but nice to have spare parts.

IMG_0350_zps7b1bnwrt.jpg

IMG_0349_zpsjahmb8b8.jpg

I see that one of the front diff's is trussed all the way to the end. The other only half way. I pulled the newer one out of the pile along with one of the rears and steam cleaned them both. They came out nice.
Also this morning I put a fresh battery and fuel in the 86 carb'd truck and she fired up real nicely. This engine sounds better than the EFI one. No ticking at all. Just a smooth smokeless engine. The carb needs rebuilt. The float was sticking and fuel was overflowing but other than that I think it will be a great spare. So now I guess it comes down to the final decision. I think I'll build up the 85 EFI truck and use the 86 one for parts.

While I had it on the lift I noticed that it does have a 5 speed transmission, but kind of looks like the bell housing is a one piece unit. If so, is this a good tranny I should swap in place of the auto tranny behind the EFI motor? I haven't figured out yet how to identify the tranny's.

I hope it is not too difficult to do an auto to manual swap.

Ordered some tube today so I can start bending a flat bed. Going to get the 85 truck running as well as possible and then get it inspected so I can get some plates and drive it before tearing into it.

Yea, put the manual tranny in place of the auto. You have an entire donor vehicle. Take the hydraulics, and pedal assembly along with the tranny...that all that is needed.

Is the spare 4 speed tranny I have pictured above worth anything? The guy wants $50 for it. Should I pass?

A 4spd is always better than an auto any day of the week in my book....

It might be a good idea to throw the 4spd in the 86 while you have the 5spd out of it.... Might sell better with a manual

It might be a good idea to throw the 4spd in the 86 while you have the 5spd out of it.... Might sell better with a manual
Probably going to tear the 86 apart for the pedal assembly and tranny for the 85. Will need the transfer case for a doubler and am thinking of taking the doors to cut for half doors. Not going to be much left of the 86 by the time I rob all the parts. Won't be worth much if any.

Took the skid plate off so I could pressure wash the oily mess from a front seal leak.
IMG_0351_zpspteyhtfn.jpg

A case of the MAW's got to me and I started disassembling for a new seal and chain along with any other parts while I'm in there.

IMG_0353_zpsrb3gcgrq.jpg

Even took off the alternator for a cleaning. Removed the A/C parts because I won't need them anymore.

IMG_0352_zpsunmygid2.jpg

IMG_0354_zpsbuh9tf92.jpg

What do you mean you won't need your A/C parts?

What do you mean you won't need your A/C parts?
I found evidence that the truck had been hit in the front. The condenser has a hole in it in two places. I most likely won't hook it back up.

Bummer. Those A/C parts are worth something to someone. Don't toss anything that's good

Noted! I'm a packrat so they won't get tossed. I'd love to have it working, but it will come later. I'd like to get the engine running smoothly and then spend my money on the bed and wheel/tires first.

I just got off the phone with Tod and ordered the 4 piece timing kit. Good prices!

There are a ton of rubber hoses under the plenum and such. Wouldn't mind replacing them all while I'm in there. Is there a kit available to include them all? Probably not but had to ask. I haven't found them anywhere yet so will be looking for them also.

Most of the formed hoses on the intake are NLA, but the ones that are are super expensive. You can buy sections of OEM vacuum hose, just cut them to fit as needed.

Most of the formed hoses on the intake are NLA, but the ones that are are super expensive. You can buy sections of OEM vacuum hose, just cut them to fit as needed.

Replaced all of the hoses under the plenum on my 85 two years ago. All OEM.

Maybe it was the later ones, I know I tried to get a few of the throttle body hoses from Sam and a couple were NLA. One was almost $50 so I passed.

I ordered the intake hose at the throttle body earlier this week for a late model 22re (1992), and it appeared to still be available. I should have it tomorrow. 22231-35030.

The hoses I'm talking about are the skinny hoses that run under the plenum to the Air Flow Valve on the bottom of the throttle body, and a short bent hose under the plenum that I believe is unique to the 1985.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom