D60 vs 80 vs 60 vs D44 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sheepdawg

Champagne appetite. Beer income.
Threads
New to the hardcore corner but contemplating new build route for my 40. I know I am going to get rid of my 40 axles that are SUA and go with at least SOA with a set of fj60 axles I have currently standing by.

I have heard from some people that fj60 axles are stronger than Dana 44, if you install 30 splines in them. Is that true? Then I have heard the route to go is to get an 80 axles FF for the rear and keep the fj60 for the front. Any thoughts?

I currently am running 35" tires, ARB front and rear, with 4.11. I would like to step up to 37" and maybe go to 4.88. The rig will be used for cruising around town and to and from the trail head. It would be taken on trails such as the Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy, etc. Longer drives I trailer it.

I am debating on whether I should just upgrade to D44, if they are indeed a stronger axle than what toyota produced. I doubt I have the money to upgrade to D60, but I could start saving if it is worth it.

As for engine, I plan on keeping my stock 2f, sm420, and orion as my drive train.

The Toy axles with upgrades are as good or better than D44's. It all comes down to how you are going to wheel it. If heavy rockcrawling is in your future, I would save for 1 tons.

I run an 80 rear and upgraded FJ55 axle in front (longfield 30 splines, 80 rear third, 6 shooters). works well. 39.5 TSLs. broke a rear axle once. slid it out and slid in a new one. 7 years of wheeling on that set up.

One tons are too wide for me and the places I go and cut down customs are spendy.

D44 is not an upgrade.

Run upgraded stock unless you plan to step up to a D60. And then upgrade the D60 stuff to entirely 35 spline.

I had stock 40 axles and started breaking them. I was at the point of either spending big bucks upgrading my axles or go 1 ton. I went the 1 ton route and have no regrets. I like the stability of the full width and a bunch of guys in my club did the same so I had a lot of tech help. Either way, skip the 44's and either upgrade what you have or look for a deal on 1 tons. I got a Dana 60 front for $400 off craigslist after a lot of searching that was already 4.56 and needed some work, and scored a CUCV 14 bolt rear with a Detroit locker and 4.56 for $400.

Well I'm punishing my axles on 40" have nitro 30 splines set on front and PP rear SF axles .. win situation it's Tencha only have left like 60HP :lol:

What color is the best FJ40 color? you'll get as many opinions on that issue as you will on your question. I'm building a high pinion Dana 44 with 30 spline Nitro gear axles. I did it for clearance and driveshaft angles. The D60 case is stronger as is the gear - it's a matter of size... that said, it's really not that much larger and my choice point was clearance. I don't do rocks, I don't need a 60.

That said, it's necessarily better, it's simply what I did. I don't like LC axles because I've blown more than a few birfields on 33" tires.... point is, build what everyone else is running around you. Heck, I have a friend with a dana 30 that has survived... all in what you do and how you wheel.

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I have always wheeled in rocks and I will be ditching my 40 axles. It looks like I will just upgrade my fj60 axles that I have on hand with a set of 30 splined RCB. What is an upgrade for fj60 rear axle shafts? I heard that most of the upgraded axles create bearing issues in the rear. Are 80 axles the same width as 60 axles?

Wait till break a rear axle before you upgrade. Chances are you will be fine.

80 axles are wider than 60 series axles.

Your 60 axles with some upgrades should be fine with a 2F. If you put more HP under the hood, go 1-tons.

How wide do you want to go?
J40 is 55"
J60 is 58"
J80 is 63"
Don't do D44
D60 is 67" to 69" ish.

Here are some test results that Bobby did years ago with his axle breaking machine.

PRODUCT / ................................................. FT.LB. TORQUE/.... % TWIST
Yukon 4340 Dana 60 35 spline short side axle.........12,000 ..................130
Stock Dana 60 35 spline short side axle .................8,300 ....................35
Yukon 4340 Dana 44 30 spline short side axle ..........5,800 ...................35
Stock dana 44 30 spline........................................5,00 0.....................35
Yukon 4340 Birfield Eliminator kit (ear failure)............5,500......................50
Longfield 4340 30 spline (shaft failure)......................8,500............... ......175
Longfield 4340 27 spline........................................6,50 0.....................75
Stock Toyota Birfield.......................................... ..4,200 .....................45
Stock Toyota Inner Axle.......................................5,000 .....................45
All Pro "Profield"........................................ .......... 3,500 ....................30
Stock toyota Transfer Case Output Shaft.................2,500 ....................65
Longfield treated Transfer case output shaft.............2,500.....................20
Longfield 4340 Transfer Case Output Shaft...............4,000......................25
All Pro Transfer Case Output Shaft..........................2,500 ......................60
Marlin "treated" Transfer Case Output Shaft..............2,500 ......................10
Stock Toyota Hub............................................... .5,800/
Longfield Treated Toy Hub ....................................6,800/
Stock Toyota Flange............................................ .6,000/
Longfield 4340 Flange............................................ Didn't test

There is no reason to go D44 unless you can get one cheap and you do not have axles currently. Upgrade the 60 series axles to 30 spline units and go wheeling..

Thanks Mace. Exactly what I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom