How bad did I screw up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1974 fj40

After years of sore kidneys, I decided to go SOA. While cutting off the short side spring perch, I cut into the housing about 1/8". Can I weld a bead to fill it and grind it down, or do I need to start looking for a new housing? Thanks for the help.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437860405.619553.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437860428.893019.jpg

You should be able to fill that in. Use care not to get the housing to hot. It is possible to warp the housing.

Mig weld it, grind smooth and forget about it. Don't burn through.

Cut off the little chunk that's left, use a mig to fill it in, grind it smooth and you're good. Like was said before me, don't burn through the metal and try to avoid getting the housing hot enough to warp it. A weld in an area that small though shouldn't be a problem. Might be a good opportunity to weld gussets on.

Know this is kinda old thread but Weld it grind it forget it, thats the nice thing about metal is it can be repaired. You will want to open it up alittle wider since you used a cut off wheel to get it 100%with no pockets in the steel. Weld it alittle hotter. Takes alot more to distort a housing then that and you still have 1/8 to go

^this, weld hotter but move quicker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom