Side Dish Recipes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mrs. Rusty made a Tater salad with some steamed red taters left over from last night. It was epic, she is not bashful with the HB eggs in her tater salad. She use Bubbies pickles, they are freaking awesome. Every bit as good as the home made naturally fermented pickles I made.
What do you guys put in your tater salad?

We do a vinegar based potato salad served warm, but just as good cold leftover the next day. Apple cider vinegar, onion, flour, bacon, sugar, red skin potatoes. I grew up eating mayonnaise based classic southern potato salad, but picked this recipe up from my wife's family.

Last edited:
Dan, Depends on the mood. Mustard, mayo based.. hot cold...

But this has been my go to recipe for a few months now..

blue-cheese-potato-salad-sl-x.jpg

Ingredients
3 pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar*
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Preparation
Grilling the potatoes in an easy-to-fold aluminum foil packet adds a subtle note of smoky flavor–plus it makes cleanup a breeze.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Place potatoes in a single layer in center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring up foil sides over potatoes; double fold top and side edges to seal, making 1 large packet.
2. Grill potatoes, in foil packet, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes on each side. Remove packet from grill. Carefully open packet, using tongs, and let potatoes cool 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Stir in onion, blue cheese, and bacon.
*Balsamic vinegar may be substituted but will darken the color of the dressing.

ANOTHER THING I have done is deep fry potatoes chunks and then add them to the remaining ingredients. Was a great texture for dish and reheated fairly well for leftovers.

Jason

We do a vinegar based potato salad served warm, but just as good cold leftover the next day. Apple cider vinegar, onion, flour, bacon, sugar, red skin potatoes. I grew up eating mayonnaise based classic southern potato salad, but picked this recipe up from my wife's family.
We call that German Potato salad.

I can't believe this but, my mother in law does a killer potato salad. She uses hard boiled eggs in it. It is the only potato salad I will eat.
The rule is one egg for every potato.

We call that German Potato salad.
Yes sir, that's what my father in law calls it. I love it though. Really goes well with fatty meats like pork.

Yes sir, that's what my father in law calls it. I love it though. Really goes well with fatty meats like pork.
We typically serve it with sauerbraten or pork sausage beer steamed with sauerkraut. If I had the gumption I'd make snitzel.

We typically serve it with sauerbraten or pork sausage beer steamed with sauerkraut. If I had the gumption I'd make snitzel.

MMMMMHMM Schnitzel with a little mushroom gravy and spatzle.. Or another great would be Geschnetzletes (thin brazed strips of pork with an onion and mushroom gravy) served over spatzle...

J

Bacon braised kale:

Slice 2-3 pieces of thick bacon in 1/4" lengths. Cook over medium heat until fat renders and bacon browns. Lower heat and add chopped red onion. Cook 5 minutes or until onion sweats. Raise heat back to medium. Add handfuls of de-vained and washed kale and toss until it wilts. Once you get all the kale in add a splash of water and cover. Cook 8-10 minutes tossing regularly.

4710E925-2ACA-4A5E-9890-E80ACB5A6634_zps3su2fsba.jpg

Love those fresh greens from the garden.
We did fresh picked green beans Saturday. Just steamed them and tossed them in a pan with some rendered bacon / drippings.

That pretzel looks awesome, kudos to the wife! One of my favorite snacks.

That pretzel looks awesome, kudos to the wife! One of my favorite snacks.

She is an awesome baker (along with many other things)... Keeps an extra ?? pounds on me at all times... I'm a sucker for fresh out of the oven piping hot bread and Amish butter that she makes...

J

Saw this on one of the cooking channels the other night. Looks good, but me thinks it could be modified.
Stuffed Pablano peppers. Cut off the top 1/4 or so of the chili, clean out the seeds and membrane.
Fill with shrimp jambalaya and sausage, re-cap and hold it in place with tooth picks.
Throw it on a flat grill (that's what they did) and get it roasted/cooked/crispy to your taste, but just cook the flesh of the chili.
Sounded kind'a good, maybe go along with a favorite messican meal.
-Jim

Saw this on one of the cooking channels the other night. Looks good, but me thinks it could be modified.
Stuffed Pablano peppers. Cut off the top 1/4 or so of the chili, clean out the seeds and membrane.
Fill with shrimp jambalaya and sausage, re-cap and hold it in place with tooth picks.
Throw it on a flat grill (that's what they did) and get it roasted/cooked/crispy to your taste, but just cook the flesh of the chili.
Sounded kind'a good, maybe go along with a favorite messican meal.
-Jim

I had that in New Orleans... I can't remember the coonass name for it... BUT MAN IT WAS GOOD!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom