Early Piggy Brake Booster spacer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am gathering parts for my disc mod and noticed that the booster needs to occupy the area where there is a vertical brace lip. I have yet to see pics of how it was addressed. Any suggestions?

20150821_190840.jpg
20150821_191035.jpg

20150821_191115.jpg

Mocked this up today. It "should" give me enough clearance for everything; hood, throttle cable, manifold and clutch MC... Now to try and replicate in metal...

20150822_211156.jpg

niiiice...you outta be able to carve that into an aluminum spacer block...

Judson,

What year is that again. My 71 doesn't have that brace, but I did have to make a spacer in order to clear the overhang above it.

Judson,

What year is that again. My 71 doesn't have that brace, but I did have to make a spacer in order to clear the overhang above it.

@scrapdaddy Mine is a '68. I don't think they had the brace after '69. Mine has a throttle cable and where the booster will sit, it doesn't look like it will deflect it too much.

niiiice...you outta be able to carve that into an aluminum spacer block...

@LAMBCRUSHER If I had more than a drill press, skillsaw and a Dremel, I might be able to knock one out pretty quickly. I have a friend of a friend is a machinist, we'll see what he quotes me.

I might go ahead and drill the holes and open the plunger area in the firewall while I am trying to get this made in metal. Only change I am considering is to extend the plate a little to the left to fill up the brace more... about 7/8".

Hell, I could build an empire with this adapter plate!!! (delusions of grandeur). When done and tested I'll post up the dimensions for the edification of the Knights...

Just make sure to base center for the booster off the pedals pushrod axis. A cheap angle grinder and some cutting blades could prolly get that grove carved out of a piece of 1/2" Al for about as much as man-off-the-street pricing at the shop...YMMV

I was going to just center the hole already there but that puts the booster bolts at the bend in the firewall... and likely the booster into the manifold... I check it again...

Boss Hog's build thread has some good pics of how they did his....it was a 69 I believe

Hey Skullyota, ya I read that but I have an engine in the way and do not own a plasma cutter either. I am hoping mine will be a pretty sano install with the plate. I need to move the groove of the adapter over about 3/16" and I 'think' it will be G2G.

We still on for this weekend?

I swapped one on mine with the engine in place, I built four aluminum spacers. turned out a little butch, but it'll get redone with the new V8.

IMGP0320.JPG

IMGP0323.JPG

And I used a few of these from Summit and a 5 or 6' line chunk with fittings from O'Reilly

IMGP0321.JPG

IMGP0318.JPG

I swapped one on mine with the engine in place, I built four aluminum spacers. turned out a little butch, but it'll get redone with the new V8.

View attachment 1129165

View attachment 1129166
so you made a mounting plate that the booster bolted to which also has holes for separate bolts to mount the whole shabang to the firewall? kinda like a hub adapter, huh? Yep, that'll do, pig, that'll do...stuff a grommet in there to fill the hole in the firewall, and on ya go...

I'll bring my adapter plate with me and see how it lines up. I'd like to see the mounting on the inside as mine will just clear the support and the bend in the firewall...

so you made a mounting plate that the booster bolted to which also has holes for separate bolts to mount the whole shabang to the firewall? kinda like a hub adapter, huh? Yep, that'll do, pig, that'll do...stuff a grommet in there to fill the hole in the firewall, and on ya go...

i thought i was helping...:(

I made a pilot..found a holesaw the same size as the existing hole, then found one for the size i wanted and screwed both to my saw mandrel....so i had one inside of another and did that

that seam is a tough thing to deal with; an 8 hole adapter is about all I can think of to do the job...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom