New member- question '05 4R lift (hydraulic suspension OME) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 15 yo son is getting his sister's 05 4R Sport and he planned to lift it. Local 4x4 expert checked VIN and discovered it has the special hydraulic suspension that he recommended no changes be done to avoid safety issues. Son is heartbroken and wants a diff 4R or LC!
Does anyone have experience in this and what other options exist? He only wanted this for the "look" and did not plan for off roading. Would larger tires work? I'm also concerned with safety in general on lifting trucks, DD, ride dynamics, etc.
Thanks for any input.

must be talking about KDSS? you can easily lift those trucks. Local 4x4 expert isnt much of an expert on Toyotas it seems.

I didnt think 05's came with KDSS, maybe he's referring to the rear air suspension? What is the 4runner's trim package?

lift like ya want. then replace KDSS whith proper length strut & shock to match the lift.

It's actually XREAS suspension. Remove it and add an OME kit and call it goid. The XREAS fail eventually. Check t4r.org for a write up, just a few extra steps.

must be talking about KDSS? you can easily lift those trucks. Local 4x4 expert isnt much of an expert on Toyotas it seems.

I didnt think 05's came with KDSS, maybe he's referring to the rear air suspension? What is the 4runner's trim package?
Trim is Sport Edition. I'm not familiar with the KDSS but I can ask the expert here. He's got 35 years experience, highly recommended and does all local dealer lifts but he was pretty much against messing with this due to stock setup. I'm have no clue about this sort of stuff so maybe there is a way. Thanks

ah yes, XREAS. Those do fail more often than not. You'll be doing yourself a favor by replacing it with a quality lift.

Sports came standard with XREAS, looking at mine in the parking lot now. I replaced mine with adjustable Bilstiens in front and Toytec coils/ bilstien shocks in rear.

To add a little more info:

XREAS is a system where the shocks are tied together (diagonally) to help handling:

xreas.jpg

From here: What is Xreas exactly? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

The KDSS mentioned above is a system on the GX470's that is attached to the anti-roll bars (sway bars). Does not apply to your truck.

If I were you - I'd ditch the XREAS system as others have mentioned, and put on a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks with the stock springs. The front have an adjustable lower perch that will lift the front of the truck 1-2".

When it's time for new tires, get your son a set of something that looks a little more aggressive (Goodyear Duratracs)...and he'll be a happy camper, with a small lift and cool tires.

That's my $0.02...

- Brian

When you remove the XREAS you alter the vehicle outside of what the vehicle stability control and abs are setup for. This is why your mechanic said don't mess with it.

Should Jr get need an evasive maneuver with the truck he will have no support from the vehicles safety/stability systems. For an experienced driver I would not worry, for an inexperienced driver I would put some hard thought into the decision.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!

When I pulled XREAS off my 05 V8 Sport, all the safety and stability features worked as normal. I did lots of driving on ice and snow. I would respectfully challenge your assertion.

What mileage is the '05 4R?

The 4th gens didn't get KDSS. I don't believe a lift will throw off safety features with the removal of XREAS. Without diff drop shouldn't go >3" anyway. XREAS was standard on Sport Editions and optional on Limiteds. It did give it a sportier feel but not such a departure from regular suspension that I would imagine required different programming on the safety gizmos. I'd be more concerned with impact of changing tire sizes on the ABS (and I'm not) than I'd be concerned with the removal of XREAS.

The stock suspension must be tired by now anyway. My vote is to remove the XREAS -- if and when it dies it cost prohibitive to replace. With new shocks and springs it will likely handle better anyway. I have Radflo 2.5 set up with AllPro rear springs and feel it handles light years better than the factory suspension on my '07 Sport Edition -- so much so removed front sway bar (not that I'm recommending that for your son as it definitely will impact emergency maneuvers). He doesn't need anything crazy expensive by way of suspension package so OME will likely be just fine.

If he's not going to wheel the 4R he might be able to just slap a spacer in to level the front end and be happy with the look (and presumably keep the XREAS if it's still functioning well).

Something to note is with a lift the front alignment likely goes out of factory spec so many replace their UCAs with Light Racing (less expensive option) or Total Choas (a bit spendy for your son's intended application tho) or the like which allow vehicle to remain in spec. Another way to change the geometry would presumable be wheel spacers but that opens up a whole different discussion.

You may also wish to check out the plentiful discussions on suspension at Toyota120.com or Toyota-4Runner.org.

Thanks to all for great info....Just turned 100K so I do wonder if stock stuff is wearing out also. I have been driving it the last few months and did notice the ride quality is not that great but I assumed that was normal. Applying the KISS approach (if that's possible after reading this and some threads on t4r.org :confused:), maybe spacers and larger tires (size?) might give him the look without compromising the safety, geometry, etc. I did talk to my local lift guy and he had been doing research also and feels we can come up with a plan. He just really emphasizes safety first so that's great. Maybe we need some pictures of what the spacer/tire looks like then decide. Where can I go to see specific examples?

Looking for advice on suspension replacement and small lift on a 04 4Runner, 4X4, 4.7 V8 and sport edition. Original owner with 125K miles. Currently bone stock and is my wife's DD. Suspension is tired but not sure the condition of the XREAS shocks, I have no hydraulic leaks from the shocks. Not looking to do a front diff drop but will be adding a ARB bull bar (drive in elk country at night) and probably a winch since the bumper is set up for one. At least one CV boot is leaking so will be doing those at the same time. Vehicle spends time in the Phoenix area and consider having a shop do it if someone knows of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom