Fordyce Creek in an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting! Fordyce has been on my list for years, I just haven't had the chance to get out there yet. We've got 5-6 tips through the Rubicon before it was "paved", but Fordyce looks like a blast. Hopefully soon we'll get it on the calendar.

Let me know when your coming out... I will come along.... Maybe... Schedule permitted..

x2 Nice vid.

But couldn't help sing "the wheels on the 80 go round n round" in the back of my head :flipoff2:

Unrelated to the obstacle but as someone that is about to install one of these rear bumpers.. The amount that spare was moving around during simple wheel slip makes me nervous.

Am I missing the point?

Nice video.

Unrelated to the obstacle but as someone that is about to install one of these rear bumpers.. The amount that spare was moving around during simple wheel slip makes me nervous.

Am I missing the point?

Nice video.
I agree the spare was moving a little more than I would expect it to but it's not something I would worry about if it were mine. Having seen Luke's bumpers first hand numerous times, there's no question about the strength of these. The spindles he uses are some of the biggest ones out there for swingouts. That's really the only part that is at risk of failure and I wouldn't be concerned one bit.

The flex in the swingout is likely twist in the tubing. Maybe some additional gusseting could help but again, not a big deal IMO. Besides that a lot of weight back there with 37's, a hilift and 15 gallons of fluids.

I agree the spare was moving a little more than I would expect it to but it's not something I would worry about if it were mine. Having seen Luke's bumpers first hand numerous times, there's no question about the strength of these. The spindles he uses are some of the biggest ones out there for swingouts. That's really the only part that is at risk of failure and I wouldn't be concerned one bit.

The flex in the swingout is likely twist in the tubing. Maybe some additional gusseting could help but again, not a big deal IMO. Besides that a lot of weight back there with 37's, a hilift and 15 gallons of fluids.
Agreed on all points, and the video doesn't come close to dissuading me from thinking Luke's rear bumper is by far the best. It does have me thinking about how to reduce twist in that square tube though.

T case reduction gears on that rig? What axle gearing? Thanks

sliders hanging too low..........need to delete those rockers :)
I dont want to hate but it's clear from the construction that the b pillars derive strength from the rocker. Unless I ran a cage at the same time, it doesn't seem smart to chop the rockers. I could be wrong. At any rate there's also still the problem of the passenger cats.

T case reduction gears on that rig? What axle gearing? Thanks
no t case gears. 5.29

x2 Nice vid.

But couldn't help sing "the wheels on the 80 go round n round" in the back of my head :flipoff2:
Lol... A little wheelspin does wonders sometimes... And my tires aren't wearing fast enough anyway

I dont want to hate but it's clear from the construction that the b pillars derive strength from the rocker. Unless I ran a cage at the same time, it doesn't seem smart to chop the rockers. I could be wrong. At any rate there's also still the problem of the passenger cats.

no t case gears. 5.29

i hear ya.......but when you seal up the rocker area after choppin' , theres a natural boxing of the area that beefs things back up. I chose some 1/8 just cuz it was layong around.......but 3/16 would likely be as strong if not stronger than orig rocker. Most of the strength is derived in the folds of floor/pillar/rocker intersection which isnt cut out. You end up making an I-beam out of the area.

Cats are a big issue-( but mine were deleted) however deleting rockers almost begs you to reroute exhaust around the body mount vs under it (basically giving your exhaust a 3" lift.) A good chance to also flip cats sideways "while you are in there".

but maybe too much effort until cats or exhaust go bad and you then "need" to do it.

Last edited:
It's not your daily right? Just cut the exhaust section that runs under the frame and hose clamp a flex tube in place.

i hear ya.......but when you seal up the rocker area after choppin' , theres a natural boxing of the area that beefs things back up. I chose some 1/8 just cuz it was layong around.......but 3/16 would likely be as strong if not stronger than orig rocker. Most of the strength is derived in the folds of floor/pillar/rocker intersection which isnt cut out. You end up making an I-beam out of the area.

Cats are a big issue-( but mine were deleted) however deleting rockers almost begs you to reroute exhaust around the body mount vs under it (basically giving your exhaust a 3" lift.) A good chance to also flip cats sideways "while you are in there".

but maybe too much effort until cats or exhaust go bad and you then "need" to do it.
My exhaust is already over the frame with cats tucked. They are still going to be a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom