Newbie questions 2003 Sport V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy gents,

I'm new to the 4Runner world so forgive my newbie questions, my apologies in advance.

Curious if anyone has converted their full time Tcase to a part time? Not wanting to start a debate here, just wondering if this is possible to do or has been done already. I did this on my 80 series so I was merely curious. I realize that this rig is quite a bit more "electrically" oriented with the VSC, ATRAC and the like.

Am I to understand that for folks who are not wanting a whole bunch of lift, say less than 1", can use the FJC suspension? From what I read, I *think* the FJC springs are rated higher than the runner springs? Has anyone installed front/rear FCJ suspension on their V8 equipped Runners? I'm wanting a firmer ride and a tiny lift. I'm not planning on crawling this ride, just wanted to enjoy the ride.

I have a buddy with a '09 Taco TRD who still has his fairly new take off front suspension so I was toying with the idea of swapping mine out with his. Again, I don't know the spring rate of the Taco springs but I'm sure the Bilstein springs are much better than the cheapo shocks that my Runner came with.

My goal with this rig is to enjoy the close to 20mpg I've been getting and to tow the Kamparoo for mild wheeling camping trips. It'd be nice to accelerate for once! I'm in love with the 4.7 and can't stop giggling when I stab the throttle! The torque output is simply intoxicating. I live at 7k elevation so the engine is perfect for my needs. Still, a set of quality headers, better cats and a nice rumbly exhaust are in the future. This rig is just too quiet!

Thanks for any inputs.

slippery slope dude :D

I dont think a full time to part time swap is doable with the way the v8 4runners are set up w a center diff and all. Yes, if you swap in 4x4 FJ front and rear springs, I believe it give you a 1" lift for the 4th gen 4runner but this is for the v6 model, not sure if it will make a difference in height on the v8 since its slightly heavier.

I dont think a full time to part time swap is doable with the way the v8 4runners are set up w a center diff and all. Yes, if you swap in 4x4 FJ front and rear springs, I believe it give you a 1" lift for the 4th gen 4runner but this is for the v6 model, not sure if it will make a difference in height on the v8 since its slightly heavier.

The 80s have a VC and a center diff too and it's not too difficult of a project. Again, merely curious.

The only thing I could think of being a possibility would be some sort of "tune" for the drivetrain components. I don't know if this is something that anyone offers, but I know I've seen it on a few other vehicles that have mostly electromechanical 4WD systems.

The center diff is similar in the 4Runner with the exception of the electronically actuated low/high. I'm sure it could be done but I'll offer the same argument I offer when people talk about it in an 80, "why"?

The center diff is similar in the 4Runner with the exception of the electronically actuated low/high. I'm sure it could be done but I'll offer the same argument I offer when people talk about it in an 80, "why"?

Ok, since you wanted to know why I did it in my 80:
- ZERO birfield wear when not wheeling. I'm still on the original birfs at 240k
- ZERO front DS vibes after a 4" lift
- Doing donuts :hillbilly:

I wouldn't do it on the 4Runner, was merely curious if anyone had done it. Although, I'm curious as to why the V8 gets the AWD. Is it due to the extra torque of the engine that the rear end can't handle if it was 2x2?

Unless you disable VSC you arent gonna do much of anything regardless :)

Ok, since you wanted to know why I did it in my 80:
- ZERO birfield wear when not wheeling. I'm still on the original birfs at 240k
- ZERO front DS vibes after a 4" lift
- Doing donuts :hillbilly:

I wouldn't do it on the 4Runner, was merely curious if anyone had done it. Although, I'm curious as to why the V8 gets the AWD. Is it due to the extra torque of the engine that the rear end can't handle if it was 2x2?

Not all V8s are AWD. Lots of V8 2WD 4Runners out there. I'm guessing all the fancy systems like Dan is talking about is why. Since the V8 AWD 4Runner and GX share the same drivetrain it makes sense. Less configurations to produce. Think LC/LX.

on your v8 4runner you will gain about 3/4 inch all four corners but the truck will handle like new (just put mine on about 2 weeks ago) I cant believe the difference it made. I went for the bilstein 5100's and rear daystar spacer but not really needed unless you are going with bigger tires.

I want night vision :(

dang me too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom