Balancer bolt removal with motor out of engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes IR 231 is 1/2" -borrow one. craigslist-ebay-tool truck trade -in. . Turn up your air as high as it goes and a couple drops air in the gun to seal the air motor and lube it-hit the trigger in bursts. There's an inrush of air as it fills the hose. . Ive run them at 195 for removing semi wheels and regularly for years at 175.

a 1/2 gun will pull it off no problem. Mine came off using a 1/4" airline.

Have never been denied on that bolt with a 1/2" gun, mine is an older IR231. But I guess, not all 1/2" guns are created equal?

Mostly just need BIG one-not the 19.95 kind. Plenty of fancy $$$ snap on etc. Bet even HF's big one works. The 231 is even made in variations but a standard for decades and used in factories etc too and cheap used and parts everywhere.

Mostly just need BIG one-not the 19.95 kind. Plenty of fancy $$$ snap on etc. Bet even HF's big one works. The 231 is even made in variations but a standard for decades and used in factories etc too and cheap used and parts everywhere.
I have an 1/2" IR in my garage, broken :crybaby: Sorry, reminder I need to rebuild it.

/offtopic

I am a big believer in the Harbor Freight gun. I have busted off at least 10 of these bolts, with no hesitation.

1/2 in. Professional Air Impact Wrench

There are coupons for these all the time, or use a 20% off too. I got mine for about $75.

I bought a DeWalt 1/2" Impact 18V for use with everything. I have replaced my air impact entirely. The DeWalt is good to 300Lb-Ft. I've never been able to get that out of an IR air gun (but mine were always hand-me downs)

Buying an impact capable of 400ft/lbs to remove this bolt is overkill unless you don't have one already.
Try a piece of pipe for about $20
You can return the HF socket set if you want and save even more $.

Buy the 3/4" break-over bar, socket, cheater pipe from Lowe's / Home Depot, use it to do the job, then return it since you will never use it again...... You may have to keep the cheater pipe.

I ALWAYS love seeing sledgehammers and open toe shoes in the same picture!

Do you have your safety glasses on top of your head or are they hanging from the mirror?

Try a chain wrench for pulley and a good breaker bar maybe with a pipe extension on the breaker bar. Put a rag on the pulley and they usually come right off...

Try a chain wrench for pulley and a good breaker bar maybe with a pipe extension on the breaker bar. Put a rag on the pulley and they usually come right off...

No, DON'T do a chain wrench on the pulley. This will strip (rip / separate) the rubber isolator between the inner and outer portions of the harmonic balancer, thus rendering it a boat anchor. Unfortunately, I've seen too many people do this and ruin the HB's for many brands of vehicles.

It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will go to getting this bolt out. The last two times I've done it ( separate vehicles ) has been a non event to say the least. 3/4 breaker bar, piece of pipe, 30mm 6 point socket, 14mm socket on the flywheel bolt. I would say it takes less than 2 minutes, more time to get the tools gathered then to actually complete the procedure.

I absolutely agree half. That was precisely my predicament. I had walked into an analysis paralysis situation. It was a lot easier than what I made it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom