Diesel FJ40, 1974FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418600254.671091.jpg

It was super slick that day wasn't it?

Even easy trails are difficult when that clay gets wet.

How did you determine that your flex plate was broken? Horrible noise? Didn't feel right? I've never had one break on me so I'm curious.

How did you determine that your flex plate was broken? Horrible noise? Didn't feel right? I've never had one break on me so I'm curious.

I already suspected it was broken, but with my th400 I use a wave ring between the TC and the flex plate so I can remove the inspection cover and see that it was broken.
I had serious driveline vibrations while under load (actually turned out to be the rear CV) so I immediately assumed I broke the wave ring, known as a weak link for tuned 4bts.

it begins again....maybe ill actually wheel this thing one day....

dana60 front - acquired and building now. turning down dually hubs, diff cover,
14bolt rear - just built disc brakes, diff cover, pinion guard, new bearings.
H1 wheels - going to recenter them
plan is to 3-link the front with coil overs, 4 link in rear with either coil overs or buckets and do all of this and keep it low. this project will take some time ofcourse.

I'm going to put my current axle set up for sale soon if anyone is interested. specs below. wheels and tires will go with it too.

Front - FJ60 widened 2.5" on the passenger side and will bolt directly to fj40 spring width. 30 spline longfields, lock-rit locker, 4.10 gears, fine spline pinion, pinion flange for multi toyota patterns, six shooter knuckles, arp studs, hub studs, ifs 4-piston calipers, trunnion bearing eliminators.

Rear - centered cruiser/mini hybrid using the width of the IFS toyota minis. welded rear locker, 4.10 gears, fine spline pinion, pinion flange, differential guard, truss over the top, mount for trac-bar, e-brake cable setup.

IMG_2674.JPG

I just wanted to raise a warning with those 14b disc brake brackets in your picture. When I ran a set a couple years ago they started to crack, I welded up the cracks and continued to run them. In an emergency stop situation one of the brackets broke (not in the spot that I welded), the caliper spun with the rotor, ripped off the brake line and rendered my rear brake circuit inoperable. I had to stop my loaded up rig with the front brakes only and I didn't stop in time before I hit the rig in front of me. I think the design of the deep bend in those brackets creates some stress points even for that thick of steel. If you run them please check on them regularly for any stress cracks.

I just wanted to raise a warning with those 14b disc brake brackets in your picture. When I ran a set a couple years ago they started to crack, I welded up the cracks and continued to run them. In an emergency stop situation one of the brackets broke (not in the spot that I welded), the caliper spun with the rotor, ripped off the brake line and rendered my rear brake circuit inoperable. I had to stop my loaded up rig with the front brakes only and I didn't stop in time before I hit the rig in front of me. I think the design of the deep bend in those brackets creates some stress points even for that thick of steel. If you run them please check on them regularly for any stress cracks.

you are right. i remember reading that happening to you but forgot until just now. thanks for the warning, not sure what i can do to prevent that using these brackets. what brand were they?

I used Ruffstuff brackets. If you can get a bracket that is straight (probably have to weld it on) I think that will hold up better.

I used Ruffstuff brackets. If you can get a bracket that is straight (probably have to weld it on) I think that will hold up better.

Thanks,
Just curious, what was ruffstuffs response to what happened? I can understand if you don't want to express over the forum, PM me if necessary. Thanks!

Thanks,
Just curious, what was ruffstuffs response to what happened?

I had planned to write up a thing and let them know but I ultimately figured the only thing they'd really be responsible for replacing is the bracket, not the rest of the damage and I certainly didn't want another bracket. I didn't want a legal battle so moved on, fixed the damage, went with a different rear brake set up instead and have had zero issues with it since. In general I like Ruffstuff products and still run other parts from them but it was my experience that the deep bend bracket just wasn't a good design.

Mike, you went with the factory rotor-in-hat design for your second brake setup, right? That's what I'm using on my 14b (AAM10.5 technically). It is an ideal setup IMHO.

Update,
I got the dana60 and 14bolt cleaned up this weekend ready to be placed under the 40 soon. I still need to outboard my springs and weld on spring perches.
I've got the dana60 tore down right now so I can turn down my hubs from a dually to a SRW hub.
I'm waiting on my locker to come in, spartan for the front and I'm going to weld the rear for now. I'm also going to swap out the outers for 35spline.
This coming week and weekend I'm attempting to pull out the current axles, and begin the outboarding.

Dually hub before they get turned down.
image-jpg.1133575

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom