burning oil! Bad.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I recently did a hg replacement and trukk was burning a little oil, but nothing to be concerned about....so I thought...I just drive a thousand mile trip and dumped a gallon of oil thru it...not just oil, but the thick Lucas oil....when I start her she blows blue smoke out of the port vent on the valve cover.desmogged...as well as from the exhaust...when it's hot she smokes pretty bad when I'm at stop lights and what not....I know it's not good, but I need a little direction in where to begin and what is causing this..

so I recently did a hg replacement and trukk was burning a little oil, but nothing to be concerned about....so I thought...I just drive a thousand mile trip and dumped a gallon of oil thru it...not just oil, but the thick Lucas oil....when I start her she blows blue smoke out of the port vent on the valve cover.desmogged...as well as from the exhaust...when it's hot she smokes pretty bad when I'm at stop lights and what not....I know it's not good, but I need a little direction in where to begin and what is causing this..
and no I'm not leaking at all...

Questions:
  1. Was it burning oil like this prior to the HG replacement?
  2. Was all that was changed was just the HG? Or was the head worked on too?
  3. Were the head bolts retorqued after first startup, & again before 100 miles?
  4. Are all the spark plugs fouling or just a few or one or none?
  5. Is the PCV valve and plumbing ok?
  6. Did you use a genuine Toyota HG?
Somehow, a lot of oil is migrating into the/a cylinder, and blowby is ending up in the valve cover. Let's see what suggestions others have to offer.

Compression test? valve adjustment? Vacuum at idle (at least 15 at sea level)? Check the basics first...

Questions:
  1. Was it burning oil like this prior to the HG replacement?
  2. Was all that was changed was just the HG? Or was the head worked on too?
  3. Were the head bolts retorqued after first startup, & again before 100 miles?
  4. Are all the spark plugs fouling or just a few or one or none?
  5. Is the PCV valve and plumbing ok?
  6. Did you use a genuine Toyota HG?
Somehow, a lot of oil is migrating into the/a cylinder, and blowby is ending up in the valve cover. Let's see what suggestions others have to offer.
no...yes the hg was all that was done aside from resurface..head bolts retorqued 3 times (all from your advice on previous posts) have not checked spark plugs..and yes genuine Toyota hg....from Kyle in Atlanta..

have adjusted the valves at every torque...so 3 times within 1200 miles...desmogged, not sure what vacuum I'd be checking and I just replaced pcv...

port vent on valve cover? how is the PCV hooked up? Run a compression test...

From FSM:

image.jpg

going to get a compression test kit when I can...what will the test determine exactly? Can valves be removed without removing the head? And I'm gonna check the pcv...

I didn't mention b4 that I did not replace the valve parts that came with the hg kit...maybe something to do with it?

R F S M

*read the _______ Service manual*

Comp test tells U baseline values across 6 cylinders.
Pull head if replacing valves. :rolleyes:
Wat extry parts did not get used?
Eh, probably stem seals and , mebbe the piston rings?
:worms: I feel your pain. Time to dig in and square it up.

My suggestion if the rings are sticking, do a hot oil flush. Poor 1 container of seafoam run the engine higher then idle or drive it for a bit. If there is any varnish in the ring land groves of the pistons causing the rings to stick, this will unstick it. Your truck will fail HC emissions test if it remains in this state.

how long can I drive like this? in dumping the thickest stuff I can find in

A 2F will keep running, happily burning the oil until the plugs foul. Then you just need to replace the plugs, and keep on going. I had a friend who whose 2F burned so much oil, it would foul the plugs every couple hundred miles. He carried around new sets of plugs and just swapped them out when needed, and kept on driving until he found a replacement motor.

A 2F will keep running, happily burning the oil until the plugs foul. Then you just need to replace the plugs, and keep on going. I had a friend who whose 2F burned so much oil, it would foul the plugs every couple hundred miles. He carried around new sets of plugs and just swapped them out when needed, and kept on driving until he found a replacement motor.
that is good to know! I'm gonna dive in when the work season is done, but still need to travel 600 miles round trip..

My suggestion if the rings are sticking, do a hot oil flush. Poor 1 container of seafoam run the engine higher then idle or drive it for a bit. If there is any varnish in the ring land groves of the pistons causing the rings to stick, this will unstick it. Your truck will fail HC emissions test if it remains in this state.
what is a hot oil flush exactly?

R F S M

*read the _______ Service manual*

Comp test tells U baseline values across 6 cylinders.
Pull head if replacing valves. :rolleyes:
Wat extry parts did not get used?
Eh, probably stem seals and , mebbe the piston rings?
:worms: I feel your pain. Time to dig in and square it up.
know I need to read the manual, but I'm pretty limited time wise and with internet...only a couple hours a day if that...Wi-Fi drains solar power

:beer:I'm pretty stoked on all the info! I'm not scared of jumping in to the can o worms...he'll I've got a hg replaced out n in..in 4 hours....thanx fer the kikk in the right direction everyone!

O.K. We are here to help.
I had similar issues on a 2F, lucas, slick, 20w50... Just keep aneye on oil fouling the air cleaner, pcv.
Remarkably tough engine. Drive with humility?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom