Leia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overlandingusa.com
Figured I would start a thread for Leia, my GX470. She's a 2006 model. No nav, no KDSS. She's just a "basic" white girl. No crazy mods yet but we've had some fun together.

This was before we met. She's changed. Still a stuck up white girl, but she likes to play dirty now.
FullSizeRender.jpg

First things first: running boards had to go. Trust me. I meet the height requirement for this ride.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Had to get some mud on the tires. Almost got the whole family stuck that day. Wife was thrilled!
IMG_3482.JPG

Being a girl she had to get some new shoes. Cooper AT3s 265/70/17. She wanted to sit a little taller.
IMG_3929.JPG

You know how girls like to pose for pictures.
IMG_0158.JPG

Last edited:
How you like those Coopers running with your stock suspension? I was most curious how they run in the mud. Looks like you have some experience.

How you like those Coopers running with your stock suspension? I was most curious how they run in the mud. Looks like you have some experience.

So far I have been really impressed with the Coops. Last weekend they saw plenty of wet & rocky action. They felt confident the whole time. As far as mud goes, they haven't seen any true mud. The picture of the muddy tire is of a stock tire before the AT3s. The picture of me driving through the water is just that: brown water. The bottom was rocky so we had plenty of traction. One factor that led me to buying those was the wider gaps in the tread pattern. The General Grabbers were a contender but the tread pattern was pretty tight. BFG AT2s were just too expensive right now. Nice to have something different. I've run the old BFG ATs on other vehicles. For now, I'm still curious as to how they'll do in some real mud.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to how they mud. Pretty good all around tire from folks I talked to. Not a mud tire but maybe good enough. Have not heard much on that. Looking for my next set. Had Kelly Safari TSR on my 80 and were good. The Coops have some great pricing.

The General Grabbers were a contender but the tread pattern was pretty tight. .
Iv got grabbers on mine ... I almost went with Coopers myself but wanted the to try something different ... Coopers are a great looking tire and perform well ... only complaint iv heard are they pick up rocks in the tread and :tick tap tick tap: going down the road... But have very little road noise and perform well off the road ... The Grabbers are also surprisingly quite on the road
GXFlex-4.jpg GXFlex-3.jpg

Grabbers on the list too. I drive a lot of gravel so throwing rocks does become an issue. The Kelley TSRs threw rocks like crazy. Rocks and a good place to stand while putting on canoes is why my running boards are still on. At least until I get some sliders.

Iv got grabbers on mine ... I almost went with Coopers myself but wanted the to try something different ... Coopers are a great looking tire and perform well ... only complaint iv heard are they pick up rocks in the tread and :tick tap tick tap: going down the road... But have very little road noise and perform well off the road ... The Grabbers are also surprisingly quite on the road
View attachment 1127986 View attachment 1127988

I didn't clarify. I meant the Grabber AT2s. I always forget about the regular Grabbers.

I started the process of building a simple shelf for the back. Cut out the top and sides last night. Using 3/4" plywood and L braces. Got the idea from @kccarguy on Instagram. Here's a shot of his:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441214769.262125.jpg

iv had the idea of using the existing attachment point for the 3rd seat and making an aluminum shelf that snaps in ... would gx owners buy something like that ?... it would easily unsnap in and out ... if you needed to load something while away from home and the shelf was in the way you can simply unhook and position it behind the second row ...

iv had the idea of using the existing attachment point for the 3rd seat and making an aluminum shelf that snaps in ... would gx owners buy something like that ?... it would easily unsnap in and out ... if you needed to load something while away from home and the shelf was in the way you can simply unhook and position it behind the second row ...

I'd love to see what you come up with. Saw a guy who used that to make a spare tire holder.

I'd love to see what you come up with. Saw a guy who used that to make a spare tire holder.
Challenge accepted I'll put it on my list to make ... right now I'm using a piece of rod with a few chain links welded to it to strap my Rampage Jerry can tool box in on passenger side ... it used to be bolted down in my truck bed so it's super fade now ... I'll get a lower profile tool box when I do a shelf or get a jerry can holder for the rear bumper

20150903_110207.jpg

20150903_110230.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom