OK, The Project BEGINS!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paint costs are hard to nail down and get a good idea of what is 'should' be...everyone has a different story, and no two paint jobs are exactly the same. Anywhere from $200 at MAACO to $20,000 for a show stopper. Most of that depends on the prep work. If they had to disassemble and fully sand, I wouldn't think $5000-$7000 would be out of line. That is a TON of work.

As far as the radiator goes, get your stock one hot tanked and cleaned, that is all you'll need. If you need a new one, watch for 'parting out' ads
For wheels and tires, clean up your stock wheels, and run some 31x10.5 All Terrain tires. Won't overwork the motor and trans, and fits the lines of the truck well.

You don't have to go Old Man Emu for suspension if you are watching your budget, quite a few companies make springs for that truck. Or you could do an add a leaf and get some quality shocks. It's never gonna ride like a Caddy anyway.

Ebay, and searching the classifieds on Yotatech and craigslist will be your best bet for trim pieces. Call the dealer too, with part numbers. Never know what is still on the shelf around the country,

You gonna run the rebuilt stock carb? with a desmog? This is what I would do if it were mine.

Thanks for the updates

OK folks, after many delays, problems, and other things I don't care to go into, I FINALLY have my truck sitting in my drive way! Iy has no interior, and I still have a few paint issues to be resolved, but here it is!
IMG_0245.JPG

Nice truck! I've been debating a repaint of my truck but I kind of like the 'patina' if you will of the original paint! How many miles were on your truck when you stopped driving it?

Len has a few other things on his plate, so I'll fill in where I can. The paint shop he used was the collision center of a large Toyota dealership we send all our trucks to. The collision center was NOT run the same as the garage. There were a number of overspray spots, a couple drips, and other items that we asked for them to paint, and they didn't. On top of that, a number of parts (small as they may be) came up missing, then they said they never had them, when they were the ones who took them off the truck to begin with. The paint looks amazing on the outside, but had a number of little things that were easy to overlook at first glance.

Now we're done with the depressing part, the truck had about either 120,XXX or 140,XXX when it entered the garage and became a shelving unit. Now, she runs smooth and freakin PURRS!!!! Its amazing how many people on the road rebuild it with their eyes! Dirty, dirty, dirty.....

After some bigger projects get done, the next two items are the camper shell windows getting replaced and the interior. Idk if he has picked out seats or colors for door cards, but I'm trying to steer him to redesigning the dash to accept a double din touch screen radio, but again, other things need to be finished. Standby! Any advice is welcome!

Well, since you asked for comments, I'll say that there is no way I'd do a double din touch screen in that truck. The exterior has been kept stock (at a premium price in my opinion), and not leaving the interior stock as well would be a dis-service to the truck. I would also be making sure the paint is perfect for the money they are asking. The only things I'd put on the truck that are not stock are things that could be returned to stock looking without much fuss. Suspension, seats, bolt on accessories etc are fine. Cutting up the dash for custom things, I'd leave out.

All that said, it's looking great!

Its looking pretty amazing and I am glad you decided to keep it original!
On that note, for you and the gurus present, what are your thoughts on bedliner? Linex, monstaliner, etc... Does it take away from the originality aspect, or is it fine and just doesn't fit with your plan? Also, what is the suspension setup on it in those last pictures?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom