Building HZJ 75 (1stage: water) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!
I am preparing a HZJ75 for our long Africa safari. Without any experience whatsoever in DIY, cars and Africa, it would be great to test my ideas with the wise men of IH8MUD.
The car has not been modified yet and I have no budget for outsourcing the work. So far I have conceptualized the following:

In order to compartmentalize water and be prepared for everything I would take two 40l tanks behind the seats and two 20l jerry cans.

Dirty tank: filled from bucket or Dirty jerry can, Shurflo4008 pump would pump the water out unfiltered (showering) or to the Clean tank through the Doulton ceramic filter.
Clean tank: filled from Clean tank, emptied with gravity tap
Dirty jerrycan: to fill Dirty tank
Clean jerrycan: to fill from Clean tank and act as backup.
For further backup I would carry a handpumped filter and Micropur tablets.

Is this overkill? Is this too complicated? Or the contrary?
Any comment and suggestion is warmly welcome.

setting.png

Is it a troopy or a ute??
Id keep your water as low in the vehicle as possible and use a 12v or mechanicals pump! Water is heavy and the higher up you store heavy items the higher your centre of gravity!!you can even buy a small pump that can attach to a cordless drill!!

Is it a troopy or a ute??
Id keep your water as low in the vehicle as possible and use a 12v or mechanicals pump! Water is heavy and the higher up you store heavy items the higher your centre of gravity!!you can even buy a small pump that can attach to a cordless drill!!
It is a troopy and the pump I would use is for 12V. Unfortunately I don't have more space under the car, but I would put both tanks on the floorboard.

Without any experience whatsoever in DIY, cars and Africa,

This concerns me more than your water plan. Hopefully you are a smart guy and quick learner. Sounds like you have some time before the trip if you just planning your build. Soak up all the knowledge you can from this site and start learning/practicing automotive maintenance and repair. You definitely picked the right vehicle so you're off to a good start.

This concerns me more than your water plan. Hopefully you are a smart guy and quick learner. Sounds like you have some time before the trip if you just planning your build. Soak up all the knowledge you can from this site and start learning/practicing automotive maintenance and repair. You definitely picked the right vehicle so you're off to a good start.
Indeed, this is a very difficult exercise for me, but I don't take it lightly.

Hi , Casba
You are a lucky guy !
IT happens to be that You are in the right place, with the right CAR,and willing to do what I already did on a 78 troopy for african trips.
IT also happens that I am a great lover of Tokai 6 puttony .......
Your generosity will be well returned !!!

Bye Renago

Despite the Joke, on the Tokai 6 puttony,
In Africa You Need fuel and water.
Both are heavy, the lower the better.
Your CAR has a very big muffler in the middel of the CAR.
Scrap IT
You can make a side exsaust pipe with littel Cost , and use that space for tanks.
That is what I have done.
400 L of Diesel , and 76 L of water.
If You are not doing long range desert trips , maybe 300 L of Diesel will do.
IF You scrap the rear standard tank , You can fit in that place 200 L
Make the tanks in inox, no rust for life time.
In the center space make a U tank for water , You can easy get 120 L
In order to use at best the space , unbolt the trasmission .

I see that You intent to use a ceramic filter for water, usfull , but not so pratical.
I would use the standard water, Only for Washing , and use taped water for cooking,and drinking.
Far more easyer.
From your General drawing I see that the fridge is behind the passenger Seat, not so handy when You camp.
When You drive , fresh water is better then cold water.
Not always in Africa There will be hot weather , some Times IT will be also very cold !!

For any thing else , don't hesitate to ask.

Ciao Renago

Thanks for the interesting idea, you would most def deserve a Tokaj wine.
Unfortunately mechanic was not raving about removing the muffler so I had to stick with internal tanks....
The current problem I face is that the Shurflo pump pumps out 5 liters/min through my Doulton filters which would work ideally only on 1,5 liters/min...

If the filter works on 5 L/min does it still filter properly ?
Worst case you can reduce the input diameter of the tube .
Less flow , but higher pressure.

Bye Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom