Accident Insurance question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. So I don't have an 80 anymore but I seem to remember a few of you being in the insurance business. I was in an accident with my 62. Seat belt broke. No one seriously injured. So the problem is belt is no longer available either from Toyota or any aftermarket direct bolt in. I'm currious what the Insurance reprecusions are. They have said they are fixing it, and of course estimste says to get the belt from the dealer, which of course is impossible.

I asked the question on 60 series forum
And I got every suggestion on how to put a non bolt in belt in and suggestions on how I should buy something other than a land cruiser. But no answer on my real question which is:

If the part is not avaialable, either factory or bolt in replacement, what is the insurance companies reasponsibility? Do they have to total the truck if they can not repair it?

No offense but I'm not interested in how I can make a seatbelt not intented for the truck to work, or how I could do this or that, or why didn't I buy a Volvo for safety, or that I should buy it back and do whatever. I'm looking for an answer to a specific question from someone who either has experience or is in the industry. 80 series relevance is I think those belts are becoming unobtainium too. When I had mine I had to replace one belt with wrong color because oak was no longer available. So 80 series will be in this condition soon.

Last edited:
Ok. So I don't have an 80 anymore but I seem to remember a few of you being in the insurance business. I was in an accident with my 60. Seat belt broke. No one seriously injured. So the problem is belt is no longer available either from Toyota or any aftermarket direct bolt in. I'm currious what the Insurance reprecusions are. They have said they are fixing it, and of course estimste says to get the belt from the dealer, which of course is impossible.

I asked the question on 60 series forum
And I got every suggestion on how to put a non bolt in belt in and suggestions on how I should buy something other than a land cruiser. But no answer on my real question which is:

If the part is not avaialable, either factory or bolt in replacement, what is the insurance companies reasponsibility? Do they have to total the truck if they can not repair it?

No offense but I'm not interested in how I can make a seatbelt not intented for the truck to work, or how I could do this or that, or why didn't I buy a Volvo for safety, or that I should buy it back and do whatever. I'm looking for an answer to a specific question from someone who either has experience or is in the industry. 80 series relevance is I think those belts are becoming unobtainium too. When I had mine I had to replace one belt with wrong color because oak was no longer available. So 80 series will be in this condition soon.

Unfortunately, your question should probably be directed at insurance agents as it may vary depending on your company.

I did read that there are companies that can make the webbing that is the seat belt... Then I'm sure someone has the ability to make it work with your existing buckle and tensioner.

Hope the 60 wasn't seriously hurt. Any pics/details?

So a good used belt from another 60 would NOT work?

I miss typed to begin with, actually a 62 - three point belts in the back, thus the impossible to get situation of a belt that was only offered a year and a half. Issue with used belts is who knows what they've been through.

Unfortunately, your question should probably be directed at insurance agents as it may vary depending on your company.

I did read that there are companies that can make the webbing that is the seat belt... Then I'm sure someone has the ability to make it work with your existing buckle and tensioner.

Hope the 60 wasn't seriously hurt. Any pics/details?

Sort of am indirectly directing the question at insurance agents. I remember there being a few in the 80's section from when I had issues with my 80, and was hoping to get their attention again. The other person is at fault so this is their insurance that I'm dealing with and they have no reason to be forthcoming with their responsibilities. The adjuster has so far said "auto body shop and apraiser will sort it out." Well, guess what apraiser abviously didn't realize belt was not available when he put 'obtain from dealer' in his apraisal. And even a body shop you would have to have run into this 1.5 year run of Land cruisers (only half of fj62's even have this belt) to know what I was telling her. So I think she thinks I'm full of it.

I have a call into the adjuster from my insurance company, unfortunatley she's out till Tuesday. I have full coverage, so could file under mine then let them recoupe from other company, but they of courae prefur you go straight to the at fault company.

So any insight I get from anyone in rhe businessbor who's delt with this before gives me just that much more leverage when ralking to adjuster for her company or mine.

As for details the damage estimate was just over $5,800. Hood, fender, inner fender, grill, headlight bucket, apron, ect. Adds up fast as FJ62 parts aren't cheap. Fortunately they did a reasonable eatimate on the trucks value and didn't try to total it for $3,000.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's on its way to being sorted out. When my accident happened in 2011, I had to file with my company because the other company was a cut rate place and was gonna half ass the repair. If need be, have them subrogate the claim and sort it out. Just make sure it's done to your liking and at a shop of your choice.

Agree with rockstate45; involve your carrier by submitting a claim to them. They will be compelled to ensure you're indemnified, and subrogate from the at-fault driver's carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom