2F Massive Oil Consumption is puzzling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
My 84 is chugging 30wt like an Ole Miss freshman chugs Natty Light.

The motor runs well and may puff a slight bit of smoke on startup and at gear shifts but the amount going through it is head scratching.

It is about a quart per 200 miles. Maybe more than that.

I've dumped 3 quarts of Lucas stop burn along with quarts of regular oil in it to no luck.

Motor has 224,000

I've had about 20 2F vehicles and although many of them smoked or used oil at some level I've never seen any vehicle drink this much.

Finally there is no blow back underneath. No leaks or drips when parked.

image.jpg

I put a new PCV valve on it. Checked leaks.

That's where my abilities end. I'll run a tank through and see if PCV had any effect.

Sadly rebuilding a 2f is just stupid expensive and then you still have a 2f.

Blow through it.

You could gamble that it's the valve stem seals, and with the right equipment, they can be replaced without pulling the head. Otherwise, I think it's time for a rebuild or a new motor.

Mind you, I've never done this myself, but I believe it is possible.

Compression test and leak down test will help with your decision making regarding a rebuild.

It runs so good and it's a local driver so I need to just put oil in it and drive it until it is embarrassing to drive.

I'm about to put a new AC compressor on it.

I am just puzzled how a motor can use that much oil without a smokescreen.

32 oz oil / 200 mi = 0.16 oz/mi.

0.16 oz/mi = 1 teaspoon/mile.

I doubt you'd see much smoke at that burn rate & it is likely burning it at that rate while the engine is under load. Not at idle. That may be why all is clear at idle.

Last edited:
sacrelig

Throw some cheap 15W40 in it and see if it does any better?

Otherwise Walmart Super Tech is probably the cheapest oil I can think of. (That I would willingly dump in my motor)

15w40 being heavier and would burn slower?

I'll buy a case of that next time. I got a case of Penzoil to work through I got at Sam's.

I don't drive it a ton but with the weather changing soon that's liable to change.

I believe that's the logic. Won't know for sure, but these motors seem to like 15W40 anyways. Even going to a 10W40 could help. That should be more available seeing as it isn't a "diesel oil."

Wouldn't be surprised if the "high mileage" engine oil they sell is just thicker than normal :hillbilly:

I believe that's the logic. Won't know for sure, but these motors seem to like 15W40 anyways. Even going to a 10W40 could help. That should be more available seeing as it isn't a "diesel oil."

Wouldn't be surprised if the "high mileage" engine oil they sell is just thicker than normal :hillbilly:

Used to be the "high mileage" oil had a additive in it like Slick 50, which is just an additive that conditions/swells seals to aid in situations like this. But don't read my explanation as a promotion, it's junk. This was how quaker state products were about 8 years ago so my knowledge could be outdated, but I would stick with conventional oil.

"High Mileage" oils are designed to stop leaks by swelling the seals. The ones I tried definitely slowed down the dripping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom