What did you do on your 70 series today? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That little extension cost me a week of time as the machine shop I use was very busy.
I wish i had a lathe.

Beno, was it hard locating and marking the right places for your windscreen cradles?
You're a brave man for drilling holes in that beautiful hood.

Mine are stock from the factory as an OEM soft top.

Last edited:
Some more bits rolling in.....

New transmission shifter parts. I like doing this kind of thing to 30 year old vehicles since they are all worn out anyway.

IMG_1182.jpg

And basically every exposed body grommet/hole plug that I could get for the floor while everything is out. Nice rubber is good to have.

IMG_1183.jpg

Small steps:

New OEM fuel lines at the IP, fuel filter and going back on the return line. 30 year old fuel lines were cracked and hard. New clamps as well.

There are three sizes need: 8mm, 6mm, and 4mm and corresponding clamps. You will need 2 lengths of the 8mm stuff, one of the 6mm and one of the 4mm.

Here is a pic at the IP... Other ones are harder to photo.

image.jpg

Then a new Fan and fan clutch:

image.jpg

image.jpg

And the shifter boot, seat, seal installed.

image.jpg

My JDM BJ70 has s rear heater that I do not use and am removing. The HVAC lines for coolant have a fitting at the front of the head on PS.

This needs to be removed and plugged.

1/2 pipe thread and a hex fitting took care of that.

Here is a pic of the fitting and the removed joint:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The fitting part number was from my local ACE hardware store. :) They have such good hardware.

Wow Beno. I am digging all the upgrades you are doing to your cruiser.

Some more small progress:

1. Removed rear heater and all hard lines (not fun-- sawzall was involved).

2. Flushed block with muriatic acid (10 mins only sitting in block and then power rinse for 10 mins with all drains open).

3. New OEM heater valve.

4. Painted parts.

5. Clean manifold heat shield and painted with high temp paint. I am waiting on new exhaust manifold gasket to replace old one that has a bit of a leak. Replacing all hardware at the same time. Exhaust manifold itself will be cleaned and painted.

6. New block drain cock.

Old valve:

image.jpg

New valve:

image.jpg

image.jpg

And the hose coming from the firewall to the valve. Now discontinued.

image.jpg

Then we have new block drain cock with old. Good replacement.

image.jpg

image.jpg

New water pump and gasket. I'm happy that Toyota went away with the paper material and decided on a metal gasket, both at the water pump and the thermo housing to head.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

While not required, I like using some sealant to the water pump and thermo housing gaskets:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bolts cleaned and prepared for installation:

image.jpg

Gasket for thermostat housing to head; again, happy that it is metal vs paper element:

image.jpg

And the upper to lower half gasket (this one is paper with sealant reinforcement):

image.jpg

Wanted to deal with exhaust manifold leak.... Pulled everything and cleaned everything up. Waiting on gasket from Toyota:

image.jpg

Cleaned up and painted manifold:

image.jpg

I picked up a 92 4 runner booster with 1 inch master and calipers for a good price so just painted booster and rebuilt the master with new seals. I will pull the calipers down next and check for rust on the pistons when replacing seals. These old Asian parts are tough as most of the hatch from the original hone was in very good condition so it only needed couple pulls with the hone hopefully good for another 20 + years. :)
booster 004.JPG
booster 003.JPG

And to expand a bit on my earlier commentary: all Land Cruisers need to be treated like working machines (presses, shears, etc).

All folks that are buying these Japanese or non-US trucks should be going through all of their systems: HVAC, cooling, all fluids, all cooling components, brakes, seals, etc.-- fact of the matter Is we are getting hand-me-downs, or at least vehicles that are 25+ yrs old.

You need to do a lot with them to keep them going and if you don't your are going to be upset. IE: Your truck is going to fail on you.

These Diesel engined vehicles especially need care for the long term.

I picked up a 92 4 runner booster with 1 inch master and calipers for a good price so just painted booster and rebuilt the master with new seals. I will pull the calipers down next and check for rust on the pistons when replacing seals. These old Asian parts are tough as most of the hatch from the original hone was in very good condition so it only needed couple pulls with the hone hopefully good for another 20 + years. :)
View attachment 1127438 View attachment 1127441

You mean Aisin. Asian is an area of the world.

Aisin Seiki is the company that manufactures the boosters and MC'd and calipers.

;)

Luckily I knew what you meant. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom