Tell me why this is a bad plan (1 Viewer)

If you had to do it all over again, would you buy new or used?

• New

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • 3-5 years lightly used

Votes: 45 64.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. First post on this forum but have enjoyed reading it for a few years now...

So I'm sharing my plan with you experienced LC owners because if anyone can poke holes in my plan, it'd be you all who already own the vehicle.

Background:
Right now my wife and I own a 2007 4Runner limited. It's a great midsize SUV and it does everything we need it to and more. We bought it used in 2012 and have had no issues with it. I'm a engineer so I enjoy performing all my own maintenance and keeping our vehicles in top running condition. Right now it's just me and my wife, no kids but not for a lack of trying so I anticipate our family will expand in the coming years, we're both in our 30's.

In 2012 when we bought the 4Runner we briefly looked at LC's but came to the conclusion it wasn't a smart financial decision for us at the time, while we could have afforded a nice used one, it would have made us vehicle poor for the time being (wife is in PhD school so her income is minimal right now, but she's graduating in 2016)... so we opted to forgo the LC (it's really both our dream SUV) and go to the smaller and more affordable 4Runner as a stop gap measure.

The Plan:
We both still dream about one day owning a Land Cruiser and we both really like the 2016 redesign (exterior look as well as the addition of the 8 spd) and I love that over the years it has got the crawl control too since we like to head to the beach on the weekends (it's nice piece of mind to have even though the 4R has never left us stranded or given us cause for concern).

After all that, I guess what I'm asking is it a bad plan to wait 3-5 years after the 300 is released and try to find a lightly used, last model year 200 to pick up?

Is there some drawback to this other than not having the latest and greatest in creature comforts? I feel like the 2016 LC already has more than we'd ever need or want in that regard so for us it could be a 20-40K savings in purchase price to buy used.

When we buy one, we're buying it with the intention of keeping it for at least 15 years, 20 is the goal.

(my biggest fear with this plan is the LC300 will go unibody and the late/last model year 200's will be hard to come by and prices will inflate because of this...)

From what you're saying go with a 200 if you're planning of buying it cheaper and saving cash go with used. Having "mechanical" knowledge all you need is to scoure what problems 200 series owners face and that's the major concerns you would need to address when inspecting a vehicle. These things are built tough, the kdss and electrics are it's weakness but kdss is disconnected if you install aftermarket suspension, as for the electrics if they aren't damaged or any dodgy repair or wiring of aux items they should be good for long as well. I think toyota stated their vehicles were built to last a minimum of xx years (forgot how many but there was a press release on here somewhere that stated it)

Used, but with full service history. I saved over $20k buying gently used (3.5 year old vs. new)

Used but as new as 2013 would be the way to go if I were buying today. You just save so much $$ which you can then spend modding your rig to suit your needs

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

I just started lurking here so hello- but I've been considering the same issue. I had a 2000 LC (purchased in 04) that I parted with in 2008 for a more practical and roomy Honda Pilot. I've had a pilot since but my needs have changed and now I'm looking at getting an LC to drive for the next 10 years or more. The one thing I always loved about driving around in my LC was the feeling that I was always in the nicest, most capable, most bullet proof vehicle on the road- I miss the command I felt when driving it and I don't like any of the crossovers I see out there. I want a truck. :)

I see new 2015s priced between 71 and 74... I see models in the 30- 50,000 mile range going for 10 to 15 less. 30- 50,000 miles is worth more to me than 10 or 15 grand. If I'm driving it for 10 years my piece of mind, longer time to key maintenance intervals and higher resale makes up for the up front savings. I wouldn't go into the poor house for one either, so if you can't justify a new one I can see how your reasoning might be the exact opposite of mine.

The only thing holding me back now is waiting for real world info on the 2016. Looks are nice but every LC looks cool to me. I like some of the safety and blind spot features and hope for an uptick or two in the mileage dept. but really don't like the new RES screens. I'm in no hurry though so with time on my side I'll probably hold off till next summer in hopes the new 2016s are priced similar to what the 2015s are now. Any way I look at a low mileage used model it just doesn't seem to make sense for me.

Thanks for all the feedback. You guys got me thinking more than I thought I would on this issue... lots of great points of view shared.
Up until this post, I was dead set on getting a garage kept, lightly used, 3-5 year old cruiser with under 50,000 miles on it... BUT by the time we are ready to buy a Land Cruiser in 2020-2023 we'll be able to afford a new one, and likely pay cash for it.
I suppose for me it's about value and getting the most vehicle for the least amount of money (everyone's goal, I know)...
The best news is, we don't have to decide for a while since the 4Runner is so bullet proof which gives us more time to save and think about the decision while reading about what changes each model year bring.

You might take a hard look at a 2013 LC with 20K miles, at around $61K-$65K. The Certified Warranty is better than new and covers you through 100K miles. By the time you approach 100K you'll know how the 2016 or new 300 series is stacking up and you've had your Cruiser the whole time...then you can decide to trade or just keep driving it. Buying a new one in 2020+ assumes you think you're discretionary income will keep up with the Toyota price increases, i.e., $100K for new truck.

(Side bar... I keep thinking how expensive new LCs are, but then remember spending $30K for an Acura Legend in 1990 in my late thirties, which would be about $60-75K in real dollars now....so helps me rationalize a new truck. ;)

@txtortoise I hear ya, although we only have a few more payments left on the 4Runner and then we won't have a car payment...

I'm hoping to keep it that way for at least 5 years which will allow us the financial freedom to save $ for a Land Cruiser as well as help me thru-hike the Appalachian Trail in 3 years when I turn 40. The thru hike will require me to walk away from my job for 4-6 months so having no car payments (or other debt) makes that decision easier (obviously)... plus, when I get finish, my present will be a Land Cruiser. If that's not motivation to finish, I don't know what is... haha

Well in 5 years the new 300 might be so good you wouldn't even think of a 200 and then you would also have used 300s to look at as well as late model 200s +.

Wow, the fact that you are planning for what vehicle you are going to buy in 2023 is amazing! Hell, by then we might have the flying cars everyone's been promising us! ;). I wouldn't overthink a vehicle purchase that far out - there's always something really cool coming down the pipeline....and if you are going to be in the financial position to buy a new LC, then you'll be in an excellent position to buy something outstanding!

I would buy new... Here is the way I look at things look at not how much you spend... But how much it will cost you in the time frame you keep your car.

For example if you buy a new car at 70k and 5 years later sold it for 45k well it only cost you 25k to drive it for 5 years or 5k a year....

Let's say you buy a used one for 55 and sold it 5 years later for 30k well it simply cost you 25k to drive it for 5 years or 5k a year.

I have ran all the scenarios and all the different years it cost about the same to buy new or used in annualized cost. So buy new and enjoy.

I might add that this only seems to work with certain cars... Land cruiser being one of them most cars loose value so fast you should buy used!

FJ cruisers, 4runners, land cruisers, and Tacoma in my opinion buy new... These suckers just don't depreciate

@txtortoise I hear ya, although we only have a few more payments left on the 4Runner and then we won't have a car payment...

I'm hoping to keep it that way for at least 5 years which will allow us the financial freedom to save $ for a Land Cruiser as well as help me thru-hike the Appalachian Trail in 3 years when I turn 40. The thru hike will require me to walk away from my job for 4-6 months so having no car payments (or other debt) makes that decision easier (obviously)... plus, when I get finish, my present will be a Land Cruiser. If that's not motivation to finish, I don't know what is... haha

Sounds like a much better plan, than buying a truck. ;)

I'm waiting for pricing on the 2016 to come out and then I'll decide what do do. If I can get a good deal on one I'll be trading my truck in or selling privately. 2011, 65,000 miles meticulously maintained.

The 2016 is very nice looking.... the earlier rigs are very affordable now, though. My vote is to buy a low mileage early rig... if your financial plans work out, you can trade it on the new one when your hike is completed, if not, you'll still have a rig that will take you and your family further into the future than any other on the planet. If you manage to get your Appalachian Trail hike in, stop by and say hello. It runs along the edge of my parents property in western Massachusetts.... I live 5 minutes from it.

Dealer demos are also good deals. What other vehicle would the owner of a Toyota dealership drive? A Prius?

Be patient and find a demo model. I paid $67k for my 2014 with 4k miles.

I liked the suggestion of getting an earlier 200 series now to bridge the gap to a late model 200 or early 300 in the future.

Fm l

Cv

If your actually going to keep it 15-20 years then buy new. But that is a bold statement on a vehicle purchase of any kind.

Why would you say that is a bold thing to do? I am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom