Whose Trailer is this?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
I pick this bad boy up on monday!!!
Screenshot_2015-08-19-18-09-34.png

1500km road trip yesterday (930miles). To pick up the trailer, its bloody huge!!! Top of the tub when sitting level 1235mm/just over 4foot.
im wrapped with it. Going to have to start a build thread very soon

1.png

I thinks Prado needs a lift kit though!!

Good looking trailer and trail-tested, as they say.:beer:

Yeah, something's gotta give here. Truck higher or trailer lower. Looks like a bunch of arch in the trailer leafs. Maybe a new set of low arch springs for the trailer and a more modest lift for the Prado than first anticipated?

lucky its not dads trailer!!! Dads Prado is purely a on road caravan tower he's not interested in going off road in his pride and joy
It will be pulled behind the mighty 80 series cruiser when I finally get it back from the mechanic!!!
Hopefully it will sit nice and level behind it. otherwise ill just have to lift the cruiser higher to match!!!

Couldn't you just SUA the axle, drop it about 5 inches, or should I say about 125 mm!

Whats SUA??
It should sit level on my cruiser! Just had to use dads prado to get it home

Whats SUA??
It should sit level on my cruiser! Just had to use dads prado to get it home
Just remove the u-bolts that hold the axle, then put it so the springs are below the axle,
not above it. Then reattach the u-bolts.

SUA is more stable as well, and a trailer isn't really required to have max ground clearance.

True, but it'll be much less difference behind the full size 'Cruiser...
But he already said that;)

I'd agree the SUA would make it more compatible with more vehicles. There's also how it'll be used, even behind dad's truck. The military tends to be pretty strict about speed limits. Civilians? Not so much. If the clearance isn't absolutely needed, it's worth considering a SUA if high speed operations are planned, so to speak, especially if the trailer displays misbehavior. What's acceptable at 80kph may not be optimal at 120kph. A lower COG will help with any dodginess encountered, although the issues causing that should be fixed (tires, alignment, whatever) of course.

However, if the run home behind the Prado went well like that, she's probably as straight and true as you likely get.

There is another consideration to a SUA and that's reach-in. I'll bet I'd have a hard time grabbing something off the floor of that one and I'm over 6'. One of the real conveniences of a 1/4 ton (or 1/2 ton in this case) trailer that makes it great on the trail for setting up camp is you can grab everything out of it in a jiffy. No need to crawl in, drag out, etc. It's there within reach. Or maybe not, when it sits that high, so a SUA could help with that.

Last edited:
700kms, and didnt even know it was there. 100 - 110km/h most of the way.
I am looking a widening the axle which should make it more stable again.
Reach in height is a bit of an issue. I'm 6'4 so not an issue for me but will be for most others.
the trailer will be used for all the camping gear so i wont have to carry anything but the engel and recovery gear in the cruiser.

Sounds like you got a sweet one if she came off the lot like that...of course, steady maintenance in the Army there could also be a factor with a well-used trailer like these.

On the other hand, many of the Canadian M101 CDN 1/4 tons were so new they were hardly broke in when surplussed. The thorough maintenance docs available on them indicates that might have received similar good care, assuming the budget had been there. In the end, they just sold 'em off cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom