Offroad/ Camping Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After HIH5, I realized that although roof top tents are cool and useful in many ways, they also provide some not so cool pucker moments when driving and wheeling. I've decided I'd rather mount money on a capable little trailer, but I'd rather build one than spend $$$ on one pre-made.
I picked up a new 3500# trailer axle for cheap, but it was too wide for my use:

So I narrowed it 16" and will soon start building the trailer itself.

I have some timing belts to do on mine and the wife's rig, plus a winch plate to do so it'll be a few weeks until I start the body, but the plan is locknroll coupler, and a trailer 48x72" inside the trailer walls.

You'll want to ditch those springs unless you'll really be carrying 3,500 lbs. Can't wait for progress pics!

I'm going to shorten the mid-leafs, maybe even remove them entirely, so it should work out.

I did this and broke a leaf on my 1000 mile trip. Get proper springs.

Also, where did you get 5x150 hubs from? I can't find them to save my life.

I did this and broke a leaf on my 1000 mile trip. Get proper springs.

Also, where did you get 5x150 hubs from? I can't find them to save my life.
I think I'll be okay on the leafs, I've done quite a bit with leaf springs and have a calculator to work out rate based off of thickness/ length/ width.
I had custom adapters made to change from the 5x4.5 to 5x150 pattern.

Can your source make some more adapters?

Shortening a leaf makes it stiffer. Leaving it the same length, but tapering it makes it softer though not by a huge amount. Typical short trailer type leaf springs suck off-road. Single axle trailers only have three points of contact and don't articulate. They don't need to have super-slinky springs, they just need to be supple enough to keep from foaming the beer and breaking the eggs. And they need shocks!

I'm ordering some new tires for the 100 tomorrow and will be putting the 275 70 18's on the trailer (BFG rugged terrains). This will give me two spares just in case, and I'll be able to trade them between the truck and trailer.
I'm doing the timing belt on my truck tomorrow and the wife's friday, so next week the trailer will begin in earnest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom